Highest Grossing Movie This Year Domestically?

Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
The Hobbit will do plenty of business, but I don't think it has a prayer for catching The Avengers.
It's a shame becuase I watched The Avengers for a second time and I find myself a little underwhelmed by it all.

TDKR on the other hand I enjoyed my second cinema viewing way more than the first.

If The Hobbit is comparable to LOTR then it deserves to be higher than Avengers.

It's a shame that we live in a world where mediocre films like Transformers 2 and 3 make around a Billion dollars.

Oh, it doesn't bother me. I think the problem comes from thinking of them as part of the same category; as if just because they're both films, they're both trying to do the same thing. But they're really not in the same category any more than vegetables and junk food are just by virtue of both being edible. I don't begrudge people who just want a candy bar sometimes, or people who just want some mindless entertainment. The demand is different enough that I don't think they eat into one another at all.

The Hobbit will do plenty of business, but I don't think it has a prayer for catching The Avengers.
I figure The Avengers has broader appeal, even considering how much the LOTR trilogy's popularity will benefit The Hobbit... so I'm gonna have to agree.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Oh, it doesn't bother me. I think the problem comes from thinking of them as part of the same category; as if just because they're both films, they're both trying to do the same thing. But they're really not in the same category any more than vegetables and junk food are just by virtue of both being edible. I don't begrudge people who just want a candy bar sometimes, or people who just want some mindless entertainment. The demand is different enough that I don't think they eat into one another at all.
Makes sense, I suppose, but I wonder how many film-goers make that distinction...

Well, we may have the sleeper of the year come up behind everyone else and kick their feet right out from under them!

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni40341524/

The Hobbit Set a record for December opening. That said, $84.7 million isn't setting the world on fire any other time of the year (except maybe January).

If The Hobbit makes the biggest chunk of its money in 2013 does it still count as the winner since it was released in 2012?