Boxoffice for 2004/2005

Tools    

1 TitanicPar.$600,788,188 1997

2 Star WarsFox$460,998,007 1977

3 E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial Uni.$435,110,554 1982

4 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom MenaceFox $431,088,301 1999

5 Spider-ManSony$403,706,375 2002

(This information collected from Boxofficemojo.com)

These are the top 5 films Domestically in The US as of 3/39/04.

My question is what films of 2004/2005, if any, will move into the top 5 replacing the current movies seated there?

I think Titanic is a lock for awhile, although I would not mind seeing it beaten. I think Spiderman 2 may have a chance at the number 3 slot, I do not forsee any other movies scheduled to be released during this time frame that I think will beat 400,000,000 , but I would love to be proven wrong. The Passion is moving up fast, but it will be tough for it to break 400 mil. Shrek 2 might have a chance of making it into the top 15, and I have high hopes for Troy. Anyone think there will be a film in the next few years that will break Titanics record? I do not see anything planned or in production that I feel has a chance.

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
I think Spiderman 2 probably has the best shot at entering the top 5. I base this on the fact that each successive LOTR and Matrix movie has made more than the one before.

And here we have two very different examples LOTR got better and better, while Matrix Flopped yet box office figures still showed us that pattern. So if it is going to be beat, Spiderman 2 is probably going to be our best bet.

Also, I believe if the Passion of the Christ wasn't Rated R it would have been in the top 10 by now.

My Predictions on movies that would definitely breach the top 100 are
Kill Bill 2
The Punisher
Van Helsing
Troy
Mission Impossiable 3
Shrek 2
Harry Potter 3
King Arthur
Cat Woman
Alien Vs Predator
Resident Evil 2
Blade Trinity

disagree? place your bets

Cyberdine Systems Model 101
disagree?
I kind of do. I'm positive Spider Man 2 will not beat the first one or even reach the top 5.

Titanic is a movie that came out of nowhere and became the #1 movie at the box office. Why is that? Let’s be honest. The majority of us saw this film when it came out in theaters. Otherwise, where did all the money come from? It got a lot of support from us [the audience] and that's why it's #1.

An American In Paris ****/*****
Once Upon A Time In China *****/*****
Father of the Bride ****/*****
Spartacus *****/*****
The Hidden Fortress ****/*****

You can view my review for each of those films at T-850's Reviews

Originally Posted by T-850
I kind of do. I'm positive Spider Man 2 will not beat the first one or even reach the top 5.

Titanic is a movie that came out of nowhere and became the #1 movie at the box office. Why is that? Let’s be honest. The majority of us saw this film when it came out in theaters. Otherwise, where did all the money come from? It got a lot of support from us [the audience] and that's why it's #1.
While I agree with you, I think that goes for all successful movies.

I love 35mm ^_^
I thought Passion would beat Titanic, because it was so popular. It all depends on how long it stays in theatres, but according to box office mojo, it was in the top 15. But I think Troy stands to get a place in the top ten, as well as the Alamo. From what I've seen, Troy is amazing.

Originally Posted by FilmStudent2004
I thought Passion would beat Titanic, because it was so popular. It all depends on how long it stays in theatres, but according to box office mojo, it was in the top 15.
Well, that's a bit of a loop, really. It depends on how long it stays in theaters, yes, but how long it stays in theaters depends on how well it does.

Originally Posted by FilmStudent2004
But I think Troy stands to get a place in the top ten, as well as the Alamo. From what I've seen, Troy is amazing.
I don't think The Alamo will even come close to the top ten of all-time, domestically. I'm actually expecting it to be a sizable disappointment, given its epic nature.

Troy, on the other hand, will be a success, but I'd be surprised if it grossed the $340 million needed to take what will shortly be Finding Nemo's #10 spot.

and..... as of now we have the top 5 being:

1 Titanic Par. $600,788,188 1997
2 Star Wars Fox $460,998,007 1977
3 Shrek 2 DW $439,823,837 2004
4 E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial Uni. $435,110,554 1982
5 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Fox $431,088,301 1999

1 new film so far from 2004 entering the top 5...go figure.'????