Zack Snyder has turned into Michael Bay

Tools    

Theres no storytelling ability Ive seen since Dawn Of The Dead. Watchmen you cant count because Alan Moore had the whole movie laid out for him, and Snyder to his credit was true to the source material, this time. 300 you cant count because Frank Miller had the storyline and scene layout ready before Snyder came aboard.

Without an expert to lean on Snyders movies have become a dull long tedious mess with 2 or maybe 3 scenes of good action, that may end up being 5 minutes long. Sucker Punch was a music video with no music.

Man Of Steel, are you kidding me?! Ive seen goth movies that werent as dark! Perfect example of the director dismissing the material and just thinking anything he/she does is adequate. If you dont realize the mistake in his job just picture a Batman movie set in spring, where all the flowers are abloom, and the sun shines brightly.

Now Mr Spendsalot is gonna direct Batman vs Superman, and he cast Ben Affleck as Batman! He cast some unknown salad eating bitch as Wonder Woman! Why?! BECAUSE ZACK SNYDER IS TOO WRAPPED UP INTO THE VISUALS!!!!!!! JUST LIKE MICHAEL BAY!!! He's casting pretty people when he needs to cast real actors that can carry a scene without directorial effects.

Laugh if you will at this Batman/Wonder Woman casting fiasco, but these are 2 characters that everyone knows, and not just a small demographic. Batman has to have a menace about him that would scare you to hear him speak. Affleck?! Wonder Woman is a fierce amazonian warrior that could go toe-to-toe with Superman, and so he casts a girl that looks to be on the Karen Carpenter diet. Might as well have Keanu Reeves do a guest appearance as John Constantine.

Somebody should be fired, but the problem is its the ones that do the firing that are the problem.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Yeah Zach Snyder's not a good director at all, but I won't say he's awful as I did enjoy 300 and Dawn of the Dead to a certain extent.But yes,I can see the comparison with Michael Bay. Man of Steel would've had made Michael Bay proud.Nothing but explosions,deaths,uncomfortable sounds, and repetitive action scenes. That film literally made my head hurt.

And as for this Batman Vs. Superman, it is going to be absolutely awful. It could potentially be the next Batman and Robin.

Whether or not you think Snyder is a good director depends a lot on what you expect your director to do. Technically, he's not just a good director, he's a great one. He makes fabulous looking movies, and he has genuine talent. I say this every time the topic comes up, but watch the credit sequence of Watchmen and try to tell me this guy doesn't have something to show us.

I think the problem here is that people are often arguing at cross-purposes about their directors. The old way is that the director's job is more of a technical one: good directors could make bad movies and the two didn't change each other at all. But we expect our directors to be auteurs now, we expect part of their talent to go towards shepherding projects in general, or writing them themselves, or rewriting them, or even just picking good projects to begin with. And maybe that's reasonable, but it seems to me the distinction has to be made to have a real discussion about how good a director is.

If I had an action movie script I wanted made, I think Snyder would be a great choice to make it. If I wanted to make an action movie but didn't have a specific script or property in mind, I might not hire him to choose the project and run it for me, but that's a different question.

I continue to think he's a really talented guy who just says yes to a lot of big budget fare, and that the day is inevitably coming where he makes a film that really changes people's opinions of him, which I honestly think he can do pretty much any time he wants.

If we don't have people that make these "kinds" of movies. Then who is going to make them? Werner Herzog? I doubt it. I was pleasantly surprised with Man of Steel and look forward to this next one.

If we don't have people that make these "kinds" of movies. Then who is going to make them? Werner Herzog?
Oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please.

Now I'm imagining the voiceovers from Man of Steel in Herzog's voice, because he has the kind of voice you can easily imagine him saying anything in. So thank you for that.

I know. Wouldn't that be great? You just know he'd do some behind the scenes doc on almost every crazy blockbuster he did too. That would be even more interesting than the film I reckon.

Going to Man Of Steel...

I think the main problem is that people once people had seen it, they though "nothing like Christopher Reeve's version, I don't like it".

Snyder, yes did make a cock up in the character development but MOS has brought elements of many of the Superman incarnations. Comic, Reeve, TV Series's's that starred Dean Cain and then used Comic style destruction to back it up.

It's certainly a taste issue, but Man Of Steel works pretty well for a comic book movie.

Snyder's other films have been decent. 300 was awesome.
Not a fan of his Dawn Of The Dead though. I thought it lacked any originality and was just too generic to rival the original film.
I thought Sucker Punch was awful.

My favourite work of his is Watchmen.

Have to admit, he has a style that is a definite choice of taste in regards to the audience. He takes a concept and makes it his own, regardless of what the audience says when they scream "We want more Christopher Reeve!!".

Again with Man Of Steel, he made the film his own using many of the ideas that have been churned out since year dot.
I loved the idea of bringing Superman back to start with but then wasn't keen on the idea... and had mixed feelings throughout the build up to MOS' release. But watching again, this time at home so I can take it in at my own pace, I'm beginning to love it.

Yeah, I agree to an extent that he's becoming a Bay clone... but his style overall is definitely his own... and a director having his own style is something that's been missing from Hollywood for a while.

I mean, Ridley Scott started that way then became generic with his films. Spielberg did the same.
Lucas made a couple decent films then bowed to his own failings and just went all out SFX to try to please children.

At least Snyder has made disparate movies that somehow manage to still wreak of his personal style.
300 is his best to date, and my fave is Watchmen... but I think his best is still yet to come.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
I just hope Snyder isn’t going to direct the Justice League movie. I’m not especially interested in Batman vs. Superman since it’s most likely going to be nothing but a setup for the big team up film ala Iron man 2. But I definitely don’t want the JL to turn out to be an overly long, serious, and dark movie like Man of Steel. A darker tone works with characters like Batman but no so much with laser eyed space gods or Amazonian warrior women with magic lassoes.

Whether or not you think Snyder is a good director depends a lot on what you expect your director to do. Technically, he's not just a good director, he's a great one. He makes fabulous looking movies, and he has genuine talent. I say this every time the topic comes up, but watch the credit sequence of Watchmen and try to tell me this guy doesn't have something to show us.

I think the problem here is that people are often arguing at cross-purposes about their directors. The old way is that the director's job is more of a technical one: good directors could make bad movies and the two didn't change each other at all. But we expect our directors to be auteurs now, we expect part of their talent to go towards shepherding projects in general, or writing them themselves, or rewriting them, or even just picking good projects to begin with. And maybe that's reasonable, but it seems to me the distinction has to be made to have a real discussion about how good a director is.

If I had an action movie script I wanted made, I think Snyder would be a great choice to make it. If I wanted to make an action movie but didn't have a specific script or property in mind, I might not hire him to choose the project and run it for me, but that's a different question.

I continue to think he's a really talented guy who just says yes to a lot of big budget fare, and that the day is inevitably coming where he makes a film that really changes people's opinions of him, which I honestly think he can do pretty much any time he wants.
I expect a director to be the main storyteller. Not a cinematographer, theres a difference.

I agree he needs a solid template handed to him, and thats why I stated how Watchmen & 300 were basically already mapped out for him. If you think about it Dawn Of The Dead was too since it was a Romero remake. His choice in casting Watchmen was exceptional. Whats happened?!

Yeah, I agree to an extent that he's becoming a Bay clone... but his style overall is definitely his own... and a director having his own style is something that's been missing from Hollywood for a while.

I mean, Ridley Scott started that way then became generic with his films. Spielberg did the same.
Lucas made a couple decent films then bowed to his own failings and just went all out SFX to try to please children.
Hes too young to go stagnant though! It took Speilberg, Ridley, and even Scorcese 20 years before they started repeating themselves. The reason I "pick on" Snyder is it seems hes not moving forward as a storyteller like say a James Cameron did. Actually James Cameron to Zack Snyders a good analogy. Both began as cinematographers, Cameron worked under John Carpenter in Escape From New York.

As Cameron made films he started to introduce romantic angles (that doesnt mean a love story) in his films. The Abyss, and even Terminator 2 had scenes where he was actually trying to create an emotional resonance without the aid of special effects. Just acting and dialogue. Was he successful in those scenes? Kinda, but he did get better as he went along. This is all aside from abilities as a cinematographer. Snyder on the other hand has slid as a storyteller. Its not kinda good or bad, but just bad.

Can Snyder have a long lasting career without changing how he goes about things? Sure. Anyone familiar with comic books may be familiar with Todd McFarlane. McFarlane created Spawn, but first worked for Marvel on Spider-Man. He still is the greatest artist that ever drew him. Truly beautiful stuff. Reading his series Spawn and other comics that he wrote, well lets just say Todd McFarlane is a horrible horrible writer. Buyers have overlooked it in the comics world because his artworks breathtaking, but you get a filmmaker with that formula...well you get Michael Bay.

So I rant, but the point is I believe weve seen the greatest works of Zack Snyder already. Most likely he will go with the wind like M Night did.

I expect a director to be the main storyteller. Not a cinematographer, theres a difference.
Technically the cinematographer is the storyteller simply because the images are supposed to be the principal storyteller, and directors often work closely with them. Still, directors should know if the images are doing their job. In context, his films do well because the general audience doesn't care, so why should he?

Technically the cinematographer is the storyteller simply because the images are supposed to be the principal storyteller, and directors often work closely with them. Still, directors should know if the images are doing their job. In context, his films do well because the general audience doesn't care, so why should he?
No. The cinematographer can only set up the shot. The director also is involved with that, and the acting, and the writing too. The director is the definitive main storyteller in all movies. Even ones written by great authors.

He cast some unknown salad eating bitch as Wonder Woman! Why?! BECAUSE ZACK SNYDER IS TOO WRAPPED UP INTO THE VISUALS!!!!!!! JUST LIKE MICHAEL BAY!!!
This is where I have to stop you for a minute. Yes, she's a model, and yes she is currently skinny. But that's the big word, isn't it? Currently. There is nothing to say she hasn't already started putting on muscle. Bale certainly wasn't fit to be Batman before hitting the gym. Actually, most of these guys had to really bulk up before they even looked acceptable for a superhero role.

Also, just a little piece of info on this "salad eating bitch". "She served for two years as a soldier in the Israel Defense Forces. She is an avid motorcycle rider and owns a black 2006 Ducati Monster-S2R. She also plays in volleyball, basketball and tennis teams."

This is not some prissy little princess who can't get her hands dirty. She already sounds more qualified than a lot of well known Hollywood actresses from her personal life alone. I say give her a chance, for the fact that everyone deserves one. Besides, if Snyder is as bad as you say, then she definitely won't be the worst part of this movie.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

If we don't have people that make these "kinds" of movies. Then who is going to make them? Werner Herzog? I doubt it. I was pleasantly surprised with Man of Steel and look forward to this next one.
Exactly. No one and that's a much better world.

Yep... many forget that Bale had recently been in The Machinist barely 12 months before he was in Batman Begins.

Yet he managed to actually bulk up too much for Batman and actually had to lose weight again.

This is Bale and his year by year changes in weight. Surely Affleck and Gal Gadot can do something similar.

Zack Snyder is an Oscar winning director compared to Michael Bay...

Man of Steel, one of my top films of the year. I'm not a fan of the previous Superman films but adored the latest one. I wanted a more 'darker' Superman film without the knickers, so it worked for me.

Liked Dawn of the Dead, 300, Sucker Punch and Man of Steel. I'm a fan. Didn't like Watchmen first time around but going to check out the director's cut longer version of it soon.

As for the casting of Batman vs Superman, I'm waiting to see some actual clips of the new actors in their roles before judging.