37.78%
17 votes
BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (1992)
2.22%
1 votes
DRACULA: DEAD AND LOVING IT (1995)
45 votes. You may not vote on this poll

On the outside looking in.
What is your favourite DRACULA - not Orlok - movie?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bram Stoker's Dracula is my favourite above all. The rich colours Coppola used, the fantastic performances, Wojciech Kilar's music and the song by Annie Lennox.

'Listen to them. The Children of the night. What sweet music they make.'

Which one was the one where they were out on the ice over a frozen lake in a carriage? Haven't seen it in forever...
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The best for me, but perhaps the most underseen - 1977's with Louis Jourdan and Frank Finlay.

Bram Stoker's Dracula is my favourite above all. The rich colours Coppola used, the fantastic performances, Wojciech Kilar's music and the song by Annie Lennox.

'Listen to them. The Children of the night. What sweet music they make.'
Mine too. Along with The Outsiders and GF 3, it's the only FFC film i have liked since the 70's. I think i was probably the only one that had this on their 90's list, i had it at 9.

I'd go with Pages From a Virgin's Diary. My wife's fave (by Paul Morrissey and starring Udo Kier with a cameo from Roman Polanski) isn't listed either. Italian peasants with Brooklyn accents... I think her second choice would be Dead and Loving it, so I'll vote for that. Don't particularly like it, but Leslie Nielsen is pretty good in it.

The best for me, but perhaps the most underseen - 1977's with Louis Jourdan and Frank Finlay.
Is that the BBC version? I think it is. I've not seen that since I was a kid and I'd have to see it again, along with Frank Langella's version, which I've not seen at all, before I could really say with confidence. However, atm, it's between Chistopher Lee in '58 and Gary Oldman.

There's also this version that's worth a watch.

The '58 Hammer version is borderline okay for me (though probably a bit better than the Lugosi one, if not as iconic). Christopher Lee is cool (also the name of an 8-year-old cousin of mine) but it's just not quite stylish enough for a Dracula movie (I think the Polanski non-Dracula goes for a similar aesthetic but is just way more clever and self-aware about it; it's probably my all-time favorite vampire movie, but again not an official "Dracula" movie). And sometimes the script seems only semi-conscious, as when they're in Dracula's lair and they decide to start the smörgåsbord of violence by staking the henchman, instead of Dracula. Frustrating.

I didn't finish Blackula; watched it until the first commercial break on a Halloween several years ago before I got bored and changed the channel (probably to a Friday the 13th marathon, which is a pretty good statement of just how boring I found Blackula).

Also, in my original post I should have mentioned Nadja as up there with 'Pages'. I forgot to mention it because it's not really a Stoker adaptation, but I do believe Peter Fonda plays a Dracula pretending to be a Van Helsing. Speaking of which I'm also a bigger fan of the Hugh Jackman movie than of the ones I've seen from this poll.

I'll have to hunt down mark's fave.

The '58 Hammer version is borderline okay for me (though probably a bit better than the Lugosi one, if not as iconic). Christopher Lee is cool (also the name of an 8-year-old cousin of mine) but it's just not quite stylish enough for a Dracula movie (I think the Polanski non-Dracula goes for a similar aesthetic but is just way more clever and self-aware about it; it's probably my all-time favorite vampire movie, but again not an official "Dracula" movie).
What, The Fearless Vampire Killers? I hate that film. I also disagree that the '58 version lacks style. Hell, that's the definitive Dracula look, IMO, but that's probably down to being raised with Hammer films.

Lines and I have very different taste in film.

I love the look of that version, but apart from Oldman, Ryder, and Waits, the performances are, to be kind, inconsistent (Keanu Reeves with an accent of unknown origin, Hopkins' hammy Van Helsing, who's more of a nutter than Oldman's Count). The '79 version has great performances (Langella is flat-out amazing), fantastic atmosphere and sumptuous production values, as well as a stellar score from John Williams, to make it the easy pick for me.

I love the look of that version, but apart from Oldman, Ryder, and Waits, the performances are, to be kind, inconsistent (Keanu Reeves with an accent of unknown origin, Hopkins' hammy Van Helsing, who's more of a nutter than Oldman's Count). The '79 version has great performances (Langella is flat-out amazing), fantastic atmosphere and sumptuous production values, as well as a stellar score from John Williams, to make it the easy pick for me.

Yeah, don't get me started on Keanu Reeves - ugh!

I didn't realise that John Williams scored the Langella Dracula. I'll have to hunt it down.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (1992) Back when Vampires weren't sparkly.

I didn't realise that John Williams scored the Langella Dracula. I'll have to hunt it down.
Yeah, it's my favourite Williams score but it's definitely obscure. Unfortunately, John Badham, who directed DRACULA, pulled a Lucas and drastically altered the look of the film for dvd, draining away much of the vibrant colour that made the movie such a visual feast in 1979; what's worse, this revised version is now the only version available to view. Hate to say it, but you're actually better off tracking down a pan-and-scan copy on VHS to experience a closer approximation of the film's original grandeur.

BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (1992) Back when Vampires weren't sparkly.
Yeah, they used to be classy, yet terrifying. Now they're a joke, used to rake in cash from stupid teenagers.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Yeah, they used to be classy, yet terrifying. Now they're a joke, used to rake in cash from stupid teenagers.
With LOVE AT FIRST BITE, at least, vampires were "in" on the joke.