Sylvester Stallone

Tools    

It's not there? Damn. And I also just noticed, neither is the pizza scene. How did the guy who made the video not include the two coolest scenes of the entire movie?

I'm reviving this thread, because Sylvester Stallone deserves respect on these boards. I notice that many members on here dismiss him and even look down on him as that actor from all those brainless action films and forget that he is a 3-time Oscar nominee and a Golden Globe winning actor who has proven his acting chops in classic films like Rocky, F.I.S.T., Night Hawks, First Blood, Cop Land, Rocky Balboa, and Creed, and whose life story and films, particularly the Rocky films, have been an inspiration for generations.

He is by far my favorite "movie star" actor. My childhood hero.

I created this video as a tribute to him. Share if you are also a fan!

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

The fact that my post above got little to no attention or response is evident to my point. The MoFo looks down on Stallone. But Sly has always been an underdog, and been down many times before, in real life and onscreen as Rocky, but he went the distance and proved his worth. Such as his situation here on the boards. This is why I love the man. He represents all the underdogs in the world. And that is what inspires people. And that is why he is possibly the most popular and beloved actor and movie star around the world and of all time.

Compared to Arnie, Sly is more capable of greatness (I don't think Arnie has any performances of Rocky, First Blood or Cop Land calibre in him), but also a much poorer judge of his own strengths, leading to a less consistent filmography. I do think the seriousness he brings to his performances makes his work resonate for me, even when the films can verge on self-parody.

I also like him as a director. His work is goofy and pandering but strangely heartfelt and committed.

Somebody I know who worked on the set of one of his movies told me a funny story about him. During a break, he went to his trailer with some girl. The only problem is that he was still wearing a wireless mic. This guy was working the sound board, and in that distinct Stallone voice, he was heard to say "work the shaft, baby".

Somebody I know who worked on the set of one of his movies told me a funny story about him. During a break, he went to his trailer with some girl. The only problem is that he was still wearing a wireless mic. This guy was working the sound board, and in that distinct Stallone voice, he was heard to say "work the shaft, baby".
It looks like Sly never really learned anything from Mickey when he told him "Women weaken legs".

That is a hilarious story.

Compared to Arnie, Sly is more capable of greatness (I don't think Arnie has any performances of Rocky, First Blood or Cop Land calibre in him), but also a much poorer judge of his own strengths, leading to a less consistent filmography. I do think the seriousness he brings to his performances makes his work resonate for me, even when the films can verge on self-parody.

I also like him as a director. His work is goofy and pandering but strangely heartfelt and committed.
I totally agree.

It's too bad Sly never took himself more seriously as an actor over the years. I was hoping he would start choosing his film roles more carefully following his Oscar nod for Creed in 2015. But since then, he was in a bit role in Guardians of the Galaxy 2, some really bad and unwatchable straight-to-video action films, two pointless Escape Plan sequels, another Creed film, and an unnecessary and terrible Rambo sequel. His upcoming film, Samaritan, looks promising, though.