The merits of kids movies

Tools    

It's a tough one.

On the one hand, I was raised in an ultra-liberal household. My mother never placed any constraints on me in terms of what I read or watched and it did me no harm, if anything it better prepared me for life and gave me a lust for new experiences and knowledge. One of the first real movies I remember seeing was Aliens and it scared me witless, but it did make me keenly interested in space travel mainly so I better understood what I had seen. All childhood fear is, ultimately, of the unknown, and a very useful life skill is learning how to cope with that fear through knowledge.

On the other hand, the media today is a very different beast to that of the early 90s. 18 rated movies these days contain stuff that'd have been banned outright back then. I mean, comparing Interview with a Vampire with Hostel or The Hills Have Eyes you can see how the definition of "mainstream horror" has slipped to "simulated snuff". if I had a kid I'd have to watch them like a hawk to make sure they didn't happen across anything that even adults shouldn't be getting a kick out of.

That said, I think kids are pretty much subtext-proofed. Any moral they tend to ignore and they're similarly blind to innuendo or more adult themes. A mistake a lot of puritanical protesters make is to attribute their own adult obsessions to children. I watched stuff like "Captain Planet" and Fern Gully and I never really gave two figs for the rain forest until about a decade later. Similarly, I watched Something About Mary and I didn't get what was up with her hair until I hit puberty. I didn't care, I didn't think about it. Kids are totally solipstic and unless something directly applies to them in their own little bubble they won't give it a second look.

Relying on movies and TV to impart moral lessons to children is the only real danger for parents, there are some things that only other human beings can provide.

You make some good points here, however, I find it difficult to believe that your perception of the world wasn't colored in any way by what you saw on TV or at the movies aside from making you want to learn.

It's true that alot of the "adult" subtext is lost on kids, but aside from that, some toons and other kid shows just aren't concerned with sending the right message.

Founding member of the Divide by Zero Foundation.

There's too much blood in my caffeine system!!

I have to concur with whomever said it depends on the kid! My oldest was never really into cartoons, he much preferred game shows, yes he was and still is an unusual child!! Having said that I refuse to let my 9-year old watch anything overtly stupid or played for the grossness factor (Ed, Edd n Eddy, I'm talking to you!)

I have to concur with whomever said it depends on the kid! My oldest was never really into cartoons, he much preferred game shows, yes he was and still is an unusual child!! Having said that I refuse to let my 9-year old watch anything overtly stupid or played for the gross factor (Ed, Edd n Eddy, I'm talking to you!)
i am confused about the 'unusual'. Is it really ok to call your kid unusual?
When i was a little Veronica, i watched as much Discovery as Cartoon Network. But is that unusual?

And do check my "art": Deviant

i am confused about the 'unusual'. Is it really ok to call your kid unusual?
When i was a little Veronica, i watched as much Discovery as Cartoon Network. But is that unusual?

Unusual in the sense that how many 5-year olds do you know who would prefer to watch the game show network as opposed to Nickelodeon?

Unusual in the sense that how many 5-year olds do you know who would prefer to watch the game show network as opposed to Nickelodeon?
Ok thats more clear.
I might not have the experience you have for not having kids, but i think every kid is different. When i was five, my brother and i knew every possible thing about dinosaurs (really in france all we wanted to do was watching dino bones) and my neice knew at age 4 every possible bird, because my uncle teaches at the Wageningen University. It really depends on the kid. I babysitted two 7 years old, and all they wanted to do was watch tv. Just the nature, not unusual. I think you should be proud!

If the subject is not something that scares or twists a child so badly as to traumatize him/her, children can handle many subjects so long as the parents are there and can explain things the child might misunderstand.

As I've mentioned before, my generation went through something of the same thing in 1950s when we were supposed to be getting damaged by comic books, especially scary ones like Tales from the Crypt or comics that made fun of the status quo, like Mad Magazine. Needless to say, we didn't turn into ax-murdering communists as some parents, preachers, and politicians predicted.

On the other hand, when I went through Army basic training in the 1960s, we were trained on the rifle range to shoot down human silhouette targets. Before and during World War II, they had used bull's eye targets on the rifle range. But a study conducted during and after World War II found that nearly half the infantrymen in combat never fired their weapons. So the Army started using targets of a human outline to get soldiers accustomed to what they would see of an enemy through the sights of their rifles. This proved so successful that more sophisticated electronic gear was developed to train officers and men, riflemen and fighter pilots, to take out realistic targets. This includes electronic weapons that shoot beams of light to simulated rifle fire and "hits" on live opponents in war games. A lot of that electronics has since been applied to electronic games, and possible with something of the same results in that children are probably better now at popping a moving target with handguns and rifles than are their parents. And what might they be learning from games where the object is to steal, race, and wreck cars and rack up victims in hit-and-runs or drive-by shootings? Especially when these are games that kids often play alone or with friends of their own age and rarely with parents?

If the subject is not something that scares or twists a child so badly as to traumatize him/her, children can handle many subjects so long as the parents are there and can explain things the child might misunderstand.

As I've mentioned before, my generation went through something of the same thing in 1950s when we were supposed to be getting damaged by comic books, especially scary ones like Tales from the Crypt or comics that made fun of the status quo, like Mad Magazine. Needless to say, we didn't turn into ax-murdering communists as some parents, preachers, and politicians predicted.

On the other hand, when I went through Army basic training in the 1960s, we were trained on the rifle range to shoot down human silhouette targets. Before and during World War II, they had used bull's eye targets on the rifle range. But a study conducted during and after World War II found that nearly half the infantrymen in combat never fired their weapons. So the Army started using targets of a human outline to get soldiers accustomed to what they would see of an enemy through the sights of their rifles. This proved so successful that more sophisticated electronic gear was developed to train officers and men, riflemen and fighter pilots, to take out realistic targets. This includes electronic weapons that shoot beams of light to simulated rifle fire and "hits" on live opponents in war games. A lot of that electronics has since been applied to electronic games, and possible with something of the same results in that children are probably better now at popping a moving target with handguns and rifles than are their parents. And what might they be learning from games where the object is to steal, race, and wreck cars and rack up victims in hit-and-runs or drive-by shootings? Especially when these are games that kids often play alone or with friends of their own age and rarely with parents?
I think you might have gone on a bit of a rant there rufnek. I'm really only looking for the impact of movies here, but your point is taken.

I think you might have gone on a bit of a rant there rufnek. I'm really only looking for the impact of movies here, but your point is taken.
Well, it wasn't my intention to rant. I was just questioning how far things might go before it starts conditioning people. The comics I read as a kid were just drawings. The movies I saw didn't have any of the special effects they have now. Even the violence was muted. Roy Rogers shot the gun out of the hand of his opponent at the Saturday matinee and the most one ever saw was a dark spot on a shirt or an attendant's glove to indicate blood. Now someone gets hit in a movie and real-looking blood splatters across the screen. Electronics used to train soldiers to kill are now in computer games that are the subject of movies. People used to marvel at the monsters Lon Chaney could turn himself into. Now worst-looking monsters can be made by the hundreds in Howling, American Werewolf, Lord of the Rings, and other movies. Back when I was a kid, there were tales of children breaking legs by jumping off toolsheds trying to fly like Superman. I wonder what things Harry Potter is putting in their minds.

I'm not advocating banning kids from films or taking toys away. My generation came through OK; I suspect my grandkids will do the same. But there are a lot more potential dangers around today--no one rode all-terrain vehicles when I was a kid because no one had them. Today kids not old enough to have a driver's license are riding them in competitions.

I totally understand your point of view and agree with most of what you say, but again, I really wanted this thread to be limited to discussion of children's movies.

I am a product of the 80's with transformers and robotech, etc... which were all pretty violent and I turned out OK too. At least I'm not holed up in a shack with a weapons stash or anything

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright
I totally understand your point of view and agree with most of what you say, but again, I really wanted this thread to be limited to discussion of children's movies.

I am a product of the 80's with transformers and robotech, etc... which were all pretty violent and I turned out OK too. At least I'm not holed up in a shack with a weapons stash or anything
...yeah he is... don't let him fool you!

Im A Teen But I Still Like Watchin Funny Animated Fings.. I Also Love Things Like Harry Potter And Narnia.. I Hate Gore And It Makes Me Puke If Its On A Movie So Epic Movie Was A Bit Iffy For Me Cuz Of The Large Screen The Gore Seemed More.... Well.... Gory :P

PMSL I Dunno Wat Im chattin BTW x

Join Marapets | Virtual Pets | Games

Is That The Sort Of Thing You Are Looking For?

Hope It Helped x

| Virtual Pets | Games

Is That The Sort Of Thing You Are Looking For?

Hope It Helped x

| Virtual Pets | Games
What I really would like to see is for some of the obviously opinionated minds on this forum to weigh in on what I think is a worthy subject. The response has been fairly disappointing so far.

Partimus, here are some questions.

what are people's thoughts regarding the role movies play in developing a child's personality, morals. etc... ?
Do you think personality and morals are connected? My response depends on the definition of "personality". I think a lot of what movies do is giving kids different options of styles or different ideas of coolness to adopt. If you mean character or whether they behave in a generous (or whatever you happen to think is moral) way towards others, or exhibiting some form of social responsibility, I would guess that they play a much smaller role, maybe at best reinforcing what they already know.

I, for one, have seen their effect on my kids.
Do you have any specific examples in mind when writing this? Do you think they contradict or affirm what I said above? Neither?

There are some that actually teach a lesson, like "Jonah, a Veggie Tales movie" which tells the story of Jonah and the whale from the bible. My kids loved this movie for the longest time and I had no issue letting them watch it repeatedly.

Then there are movies like the Spongebob Squarepants movies that I wouldn't let them watch once if I were able to avoid it.
What was the lesson of Jonah and the whale and why do you feel it important for your kids to have that lesson (I only know that story from the sermon at the beginning of Moby Dick, which tends to have a lot of idiosyncratic interpretations of things so I can't tell if I got the actual moral or Melvilles weirded up version, like his weirded up version of cetology)? What do you think is the (detrimental) lesson in Spongebob? Are there any times examples of movies you would show your kids not because of any lesson it might have but for other reasons? Are there any that teach a lesson you approve of but that you wouldn't show your kids? Why/why not?

What do you all think?
I think that if you want me to write a thoughtful response to a post that basically amounts to you thinking that movies have some impact on morals and here are examples of ones you would and wouldn't show your kids -- the result would probably be me writing an essay that goes all over the place and doesn't further your topic in any recognizable form.

and here i am showing my 3 year old nephew The Exorcist and The Ring....of which iam now banned from doing cuz he told on me lol..

by the way, Harry Potter is no longer a kids movie....

Partimus, here are some questions.

Do you think personality and morals are connected? My response depends on the definition of "personality". I think a lot of what movies do is giving kids different options of styles or different ideas of coolness to adopt. If you mean character or whether they behave in a generous (or whatever you happen to think is moral) way towards others, or exhibiting some form of social responsibility, I would guess that they play a much smaller role, maybe at best reinforcing what they already know.

I don't necessarily think that personality and morals are connected except to the extent that your morals can have an effect on your overall personality. Someone who is deeply religious and caring isn't going to be a loud, "in your face" type of person typically. I also think that, the younger the child, the more influenced they are by what they see.

Do you have any specific examples in mind when writing this? Do you think they contradict or affirm what I said above? Neither?

I don't have specific examples in mind, just an overall view of how my kids act after having seen certain films. Like my son trying to run fast everywhere after seeing the Incredibles :P

What was the lesson of Jonah and the whale and why do you feel it important for your kids to have that lesson (I only know that story from the sermon at the beginning of Moby Dick, which tends to have a lot of idiosyncratic interpretations of things so I can't tell if I got the actual moral or Melvilles weirded up version, like his weirded up version of cetology)? What do you think is the (detrimental) lesson in Spongebob? Are there any times examples of movies you would show your kids not because of any lesson it might have but for other reasons? Are there any that teach a lesson you approve of but that you wouldn't show your kids? Why/why not?

Jonah is a story about not losing your faith, in God, in Friends and family, etc... In general, the Veggie Tales movies are all trying to give kids a more positive outlook on things. I don't think Spongebob has a detrimental lesson other than its utter stupidity. I think it just serves to help dumb down people who watch it. It really doesn't have any redeeming qualities for kids that I can see.

I have yet to let my kids watch any of the Star Wars movies just because I think they are a bit too much in terms of violence, etc... but they do have a good lesson (good triumphing over evil).

I think that if you want me to write a thoughtful response to a post that basically amounts to you thinking that movies have some impact on morals and here are examples of ones you would and wouldn't show your kids -- the result would probably be me writing an essay that goes all over the place and doesn't further your topic in any recognizable form.

I will again state that I was looking for people to give their opinions on a topic, which you have done to some extent. It doesn't need to be a deep philosophical discussion, just try to put a little thought into it. I'm quite certain everyone who posts here regularly will have some opinion on this subject, I just want to see them.

I agree, wholesome movies such as Veggie Tales are a great way to show children the good a message such as "Jonah and the other movies produced alike, all Veggie Tales movies" which tells the story of Jonah and the whale from the bible and other great stories of the Bible. My kids, daughter 6 yrs old and son 1 yr 10 months loved this movie and the other movies featured by Veggie Tales. I'll even sit down and watch it with them and share with my daughter what I think about the story and ask her what she thinks of the movie. A great way to encourage stories of the Bible. My son on the other hand will watch it over and over, I think because of the silly songs that the characters sing. He loves Larry!!!