Forums Separated By Genre?

Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
well, I have a little time now to respond now, so I'm going try and get some of my thoughts down...

I understand your (Yoda and Tacitus) concerns with the development of segregation/cliques/grouping that may arise as a direct result of adding sub-genres, and my rebuttal is simple, these cliques are already present on this board and widespread in cinema/film in general...I know the former maybe hard to swallow for the vet's on this board but it is true...I know from being a newbie not too long ago
It's not just hard to swallow, it's impossible. Any clique here would be a duo at best. There just are not enough active posters here to break into sub-groups.

anyway, I know you thoughts and intentions are good natured but I must say, just because a forum is of general discussion, it will not prevent any cliques from forming...Tacitus mentioned "comfort zones" and this is a key point...if someone ventures onto this board and can not immediately find a comfort zone, why would they stay?? he also mentioned one site had so many that it was overwhelming, but it does not need to be so divided...I'm not suggesting we make so many divisions that we end up with a crime-drama, a period-drama, and a docu-drama forum...but the main ones would be nice: drama, comedy, horror, sci-fi fantasy...
No. It wouldn't be nice. It would be divisive and detrimental to conversation. Nothing against you personally, I hope it doesn't need to be said (since I dont' even know you), but it's a lousy idea. It's a common idea - I've seen it done many times - but having been through a few forums that got "organized" in this manner, it is not a positive step.

The notion that people aren't posting things here because there isn't a forum dedicated is utter horseradish, too. There are very general forum topics here. If you're too timid to post your thread about bullet wounds in Tarantino films outside the Bullet Wounds In Tarantino Films Forum, then odds are you aren't going to post one anyway.

You ready? You look ready.
Something like this only works with forums that have 15,000+ active members. We have no where near that and, as such, should not be done.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

The People's Republic of Clogher
well, I have a little time now to respond now, so I'm going try and get some of my thoughts down...

I understand your (Yoda and Tacitus) concerns with the development of segregation/cliques/grouping that may arise as a direct result of adding sub-genres, and my rebuttal is simple, these cliques are already present on this board and widespread in cinema/film in general...I know the former maybe hard to swallow for the vet's on this board but it is true...I know from being a newbie not too long ago

anyway, I know you thoughts and intentions are good natured but I must say, just because a forum is of general discussion, it will not prevent any cliques from forming...Tacitus mentioned "comfort zones" and this is a key point...if someone ventures onto this board and can not immediately find a comfort zone, why would they stay?? he also mentioned one site had so many that it was overwhelming, but it does not need to be so divided...I'm not suggesting we make so many divisions that we end up with a crime-drama, a period-drama, and a docu-drama forum...but the main ones would be nice: drama, comedy, horror, sci-fi fantasy...
I've got nothing more to add other than what I've said and what Cindy has said a couple of posts above (Damn her, my thunder's missing!).

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And this place ain't broke.

lol...well...my only hope for this thread was to open a simple discussion about a simple idea...if I knew some people would be so defensive about the thought of change, so offensive for a debate, or so unreceptive, I wouldn't have posted anything

Horrorphiliac

lol...well...my only hope for this thread was to open a simple discussion about a simple idea...if I knew some people would be so defensive about the thought of change, so offensive for a debate, or so unreceptive, I wouldn't have posted anything
It would have gone over better in a "Bad Ideas For Forum Improvement Forum". Pity.

It would have gone over better in a "Bad Ideas For Forum Improvement Forum". Pity.
what are you? like 12?

Hmmm, i've become quite curious to the idea now. Can't help thinking it would encourage more posting. Either way, i wouldn't say no to giving it a go, considering of late, i've not seen that many lively threads bar the Nolan v Fincher one where i actually got insulting for contributing.

C'mon, guys. Let's all chill.

I really don't think it was a terrible idea. It's the kind of thing that sounds like a great idea, but which doesn't work as well in practice, is all.

Anyway, it's the thought that counts, and I appreciate the fact that you were thinking of how to improve the site, JB.

Now, we're all gonna be little Fonzies, right?

Either way, i wouldn't say no to giving it a go, considering of late, i've not seen that many lively threads bar the Nolan v Fincher one where i actually got insulting for contributing.
Ah, don't forget the Shakycam thread, where I got yelled at for being nauseous.

Ah, don't forget the Shakycam thread, where I got yelled at for being nauseous.
I dropped out that thread when i realised i didn't think i got what you meant by 'shaky' :/

It's the kind of thing that sounds like a great idea, but which doesn't work as well in practice, is all.
In fairness, this is exactly what a few people upthread said to JB, and he chose to take it as knee-jerk defensiveness, despite explanations to the contrary. He's determined to take things personally that weren't intended that way, and is now resorting to personal swipes in response. Just sayin'.

He's determined to take things personally that weren't intended that way, and is now resorting to personal swipes in response. Just sayin'.
personally? how else am I supposed to take it? you turned a discussion into a direct attack...

personally? how else am I supposed to take it? you turned a discussion into a direct attack...
Sam did make fun of you, but I think her point is that people explained their thoughts earlier, and you responsed somewhat harshly. You used phrases like "ridiculous" to describe their comments. I don't know if that merits a direct insult, but it wasn't 100% civil beforehand, either.

Nope.
I've said not a word about you.
I've said only that I think your idea is a bad one, for the reasons given multiple times, above. If you can't post an idea without getting bent if people don't think it's a good idea, then you might want to take up softball or something, because this is where people post ideas and, quite often, others disagree.

The People's Republic of Clogher

If you still can't get it through your head that people said what they said from the point of view of experience (and not because they just want to start an argument for the hell of it) then I don't see the point in continuing this.

See? I can take my ball home too!

I'm still for the 'Horror' genre to have an area of it's own. Personally, that is the one genre that has always seemed to stick out on it's own.