If you like ____, then you should like ____

Tools    

Fill in the first blank with a popular, well known film...and use the second blank to fill in a film that posesses the same qualities, or characteristics as the first film, but maybe less popular, or less appreciated...

I'll start...

If you like Memento, then you should like The Following

Christopher Nolan's directorial debut film The Following, is quite a different story than his sophomore feature Memento, but both offer similer stark cold characters and settings, and great surprise endings. So if you like the "bigger and better" than you should enjoy the "lesser but almost as good".

Horrorphiliac

The Fabulous Sausage Man
No popular or well-known film springs to mind, but for anyone that loves a dark twist on a fairy tale or a children's story (there's people asking for "twisted" remakes of Wizard of Oz everywhere, especially on Tim Burton boards), check out Jan Svankmajer's Alice - an interesting blend of live action and stop-motion animation, it is probably the blackest adaptation of Lewis Carrol's novel you can find.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Originally Posted by Nexus
No popular or well-known film springs to mind, but for anyone that loves a dark twist on a fairy tale or a children's story (there's people asking for "twisted" remakes of Wizard of Oz everywhere, especially on Tim Burton boards), check out Jan Svankmajer's Alice - an interesting blend of live action and stop-motion animation, it is probably the blackest adaptation of Lewis Carrol's novel you can find.

Oh my gosh, that looks so damn cool! Where can I get this movie?

I would've guess it was a loosely based Alice in Wonderland not The Wizard of Oz.

If you liked Kids, then you should like Ken Park.

Originally Posted by PrometheusFG
If you liked Kids, then you should like Ken Park.
"don't worry its just me...casper..."

I'll definately check out Ken Park if I can find it

Good luck JB! Its banned in America and half the other countries in the world. Your going to have to download it or try finding a bootleg in the city.

If you like
you should like

The Fabulous Sausage Man
Originally Posted by JBriscoe
I would've guess it was a loosely based Alice in Wonderland not The Wizard of Oz.
Yes. It is. Um, obviously.

I was just using Oz as an example of the kind of films these people are asking for. The concept of "making a light story darker" seems to be insanely popular among some people. On a lot of message boards I go on, there always seems to be at least one person going, "Is there a dark version of Oz/Alice/Mary Poppins, ect.?"...

Yes. It is. Um, obviously.

I was just using Oz as an example of the kind of films these people are asking for. The concept of "making a light story darker" seems to be insanely popular among some people. On a lot of message boards I go on, there always seems to be at least one person going, "Is there a dark version of Oz/Alice/Mary Poppins, ect.?"...
ahhh...gotcha!

Originally Posted by PrometheusFG
Good luck JB! Its banned in America and half the other countries in the world. Your going to have to download it or try finding a bootleg in the city.
well now youve really sparked my interest! and the hunt is on...

http://www.xploitedcinema.com/

They have Ken Park on PAL - if you have a multi-region player? Pretty good site for your more obscure film needs, although I'm pretty sure the bastards at customs have helped themselves to my uncut Ichi the Killer.

Originally Posted by Alvin
http://www.xploitedcinema.com/

They have Ken Park on PAL - if you have a multi-region player? Pretty good site for your more obscure film needs, although I'm pretty sure the bastards at customs have helped themselves to my uncut Ichi the Killer.
nice!...thanks a lot!

The Fabulous Sausage Man
If you liked You've Got Mail, check out the original film it shamelessly ripped-off, 1940's The Shop Around The Corner (actually, I suppose it's a remake, but Hollywood just inconveniently forgot to mention that, as they often do)...

Randomly visiting for now
If you liked The Green Mile then you'll definately like The Shawshank Redemption.

Both have very compelling storylines that keep you glued to the screen, with very good character development to the point where you really care what happens to all of them. Both are book adaptions and to my understanding do a very good job with the portrayal on the silver screen. Also both films are worth just seeing even if you haven't seen the other

Originally Posted by SpoOkY
If you liked The Green Mile then you'll definately like The Shawshank Redemption.

Both have very compelling storylines that keep you glued to the screen, with very good character development to the point where you really care what happens to all of them. Both are book adaptions and to my understanding do a very good job with the portrayal on the silver screen. Also both films are worth just seeing even if you haven't seen the other
Both also had very menacing enemies to that of good characters. In fact, there were 2 of them in Shawshank compared to one spoiled little brat in The Green Mile.