manners

Tools    

Rock God
people are freakin rude at the movies. sorry if i sound like i'm bitching, but i have to let off a little steam, here. yesterday i went to Final Fantasy, and i'll admit it, it was my own stupid fault for going to a weekend matinee. i should have known better. weekend matinees = preschool. anyway, the whole time, there were little kids running around all over the place, and making a ton of noise and generally disturbing the whole damn thing. i honestly hate to sound like a jerk, but why can't parents leave their small children at home? i mean, there's nothing wrong with taking your kids to a movie, but there is an age where children are too energetic to be able to sit still for the full two hours. not only that, but parents totally facilitate their kids' bad bahavior by constantly coming in and out of the theater buying snacks. even grown adults who didn't have kids seemed to think it was ok to come in the theater, leave, come back in, leave, come back in, leave... i don't know if they were going to the bathroom, or getting concessions, but this wasn't during the previews or end credits, it was during the movie. it disrupts the whole damn experience when you have to hear little kids whining, and parents talking, and the door is opened, and light and noise are coming into the theater... i dunno, it just seems kinda rude to me. does anyone else have an opinion?

That almost never happens to me. The only time I remember kids being noticable at all (for the most part), was when I saw How The Grinch Stole Christmas -- which was packed with kids. They were all pretty well behaved though. I don't really recall ever being all that distracted by kids running around, but yes, there's no excuse for it, unless the theatre is almost totally empty.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Hey BrodieMan, I completely agree with you. The EXACT same thing happened to me when I saw Final Fantasy, and that was on a Weds at like noon. It almost ruined the movie for me. I for one like little kids, but it's obvious that they aren't going to be all that into the movie, so why take them in the first place?!?

Maybe people are just more polite where I live, but I've not had the same problems with small kids, and I go to a lot of movies that appeal to kids (also light doesn't come into any of the theaters I go to when people go out the door, the doors are under the seating area. I did go to a different theater this weekend to see Legally Blonde, though, and I was amazed at how many people showed up significantly late for the feature and disturbed everyone by trying to find a seat in the darkness. But I don't usually see that when I go to the movies, either).

The bigger problem I have is the cell phone/pager people who can't be bothered to either turn their phone off or at least put it on vibrate during the movie.

Rock God
the pager thing is a pain, too. i think people should just be more respectful in general. sometimes i get the feeling that there are people that think the movie theater is made for them. i think the biggest part of the movie is watching the whole thing, and becoming involved with the plot, characters, etc. which is why it bugs me when people are so obnoxious. what i don't understand is why anyone would even come into a movie late? you're wasting your money if you can't see the whole thing...

I come into movies late -- and usually it's because I want to see it badly enough that I think it's worth missing part of it. Ironically, my mother once forgot to turn her phone off, and it beeped during a very emotional scene. Ouch.

I can pretend that things last.
I HATE the theatre.Once when i went to see a hindi movie,i was next to a couple.They were really hugging and kissing each other.I could hear the moaning and kissing.Sheeeeeeeesh.I got really emabrassed.Anyways i have a mini dvd theatre at home,so i can watch peacefully.

this isnt as much of a problem in britain, everyone is alot more reserved. you do however, get the occasional dumbass who wants to tell his friends the finer details of everything thats happening in the film through a mobile. even though they are banned! smoking in the cinema really annoys me too. but thats only happenmed to me once, and i got my money back so they're partially forgiven.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
this happened to me during the first 20 minutes and then intermittently, during AI - which we know was serious and sad, and it really ticked me off cause I couldn't concentrate to get into the movie at the beginning because some kid on the lower left was having loud whining conversations with herself and her mother, instead of picking her bodily up and removing her from the theater pronto and for good, let her STAY and made feeble attempts at shushing her - and that was it. so throughout the movie she'd pipe up again - that drives me so crazy.

you're right, until kids are a certain age and actually WANT to see the move (what the hell were they taking a toddler to see AI for? it's not like the kid would know what was going on) and can be assured of sitting still and quietly for two hours, they shouldn't come. Leave them gnats at the baby sitters or you'll just have to do without movies at the theater until they're old enough to go. madness.

i understand taking kids to see something like rugrats - fine, that fits. but not to AI, not to Hannibal, not to Jurassic Park and not even to Final Fantasy!! If the child is not old enough to comprehend the film, then they have no business being there.

as for cell phones, coming in late - very true. people are just rude, they do indeed believe the theater is their living room and that they can stroll in when they please and talk as loudly as they want and act stupid. it's pathetic. it's a sad truth but more and more, Americans are just getting to be a loud, spoiled, incorrigible lot. Sorry Chris, but that's my 2 cents.

If people are talking or being rude during the movie, then management should have the offending parties removed. That's really all it is.

Zwee's cell phone rang during Lost & Delirious, and I punched him in the face.

I think that's just people, as opposed to Americans, thmilin. Although I will admit that if you end up with a bad bunch of rowdy Americans...well, you might as well not go at all.

My 7 year old sister went to AI, though, and seemed to enjoy it. We took a 4 year old to Jurassic Park 3 (the kiD LOVES dinosaurs). I think certain kids can get something out of movies.

Originally posted by Steve N.

Zwee's cell phone rang during Lost & Delirious, and I punched him in the face.
I should of gone just to see that!

Rock God
what's weird is not only are little kids contributing to the problem, but on sunday i went to see "the score". this movie was so, so good, but unfortunately, these jerks kinda interrupted it. i thought since it would only be adults at the movie (R rating) there would be less of a problem. but there were these old ladies talking the whole way throught it! man, old ladies have to be worse than kids. no offense to any old ladies out there. most of them are really cool, but i swear these women acted like they were in a freakin tupperwear party. i felt like getting up, going a couple rows up and asking them to be quiet, but i figured they would eventually shut up. oh, well... it was a good experience anyway. no matter what people do, its still pretty hard to ruin a really good movie like that.

i'm jealous of Aditya. i want a dvd player so bad. i still use VHS like a caveman. lol.

I know these things can get annoying. But, don't pay attention to them. If you're really concentrating on the film, then the din from the third row shouldn't be as much a factor.

This doesn't really have anything to do with manners, but it still distracted me. When I saw Planet of the Apes today, I saw it in a big theater with 4 entrances, two on the left and right on the bottom, and the same on the top. Anyways, something was wrong with the bottom left door, and light was shinning through it the whole time, and it made this bright patch on the bottom left corner of the screen. It was pretty damn distracting, but I got too into the movie to notice it after a while. Or maybe it went away, I don't remember.

Well that's my story for the day.

I don't know what it is, but no matter when I go to a movie, there are parents there with their kids who are too cheap to get a babysitter. When I went to see Eyes Wide Shut, there was a family behind me with four children, ages ranging from infant to about 10. Now that's insane considering the content of the movie.

Happens everytime I go though (must be something about my town). Parents are at the late weekend shows with their babies. When they start crying, the parents don't wanna leave and you have to listen to that for five or ten minutes before they finally give up and take them out to the lobby. It's annoying as hell.

Got that off my chest . That felt good.

At the theatre that I attend, there is a certain age below which no children may enter a rated R movie at any time with any supervision (I'm not sure how old). Since almost all movie I see are rated R, I don't think I 've ever had this problem.

People
I must discourse so hear me out. I have kids. They do NOT behave in this manner at the movies. Now, that said I must also say that I do not comprehend the idiocy involved with taking kids to an above PG movie in the first place. Nor do I comprehend the idiocy of taking them past 6 or 7 in the evening. My kids are in bed and asleep by 9. I usually talk my wife into letting me go see a 10pm show (gasp, she doesn't like theatres) if I want to see something that's PG or R. Sorry for the history of my family but you need to know where I'm coming from. I was at the midnight showing of Blair Witch when it came out and 1/2 of the audience was under 10. Where has the common sense gone?

It's hardly idiocy to take a kid to a PG-13 movie. It all depends. My whole family (which consists of kids aged 7 months, 4 years, 5 years (roughly), 7 years, 10 years, 14 years, and nearly 17 years) went to see Jurassic Park III, and all the little kids enjoyed it.

The 4 year old (Charlie) loves dinosaurs, and loves the first two JP movies. He loved the third, too. He was a little scared, but always interested, and he doesn't have nightmares about it or anything of the sort.

Whether or not it's idiocy is almost 100% dependent on the child and movie, specifically. The 4 year old kid has seen The Matrix, and likes it. The 5 and 7 year old girls think it's cool...yet The Matrix is rated "R." Heck, they've even seen parts of Braveheart -- and now they appreciate part of their heritage, even though the younger ones (under 10) were told to look away during certain violent scenes.