Max Payne

Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I don't know how many of you keep up with computer games, or play them, but if you do you'll know about this game. And if you don't, you should know about this game.

Max Payne first went into production in 1998. That's almost 4 years ago, and was released last week. For a long time, people thought the game would never be released. At first it was scheduled, for a early 99 release, then a late 99 release, then an early 2000 release, and then the company just stopped making press statements, and just said it would be released "When its done." Now I can see why they took so long. This game is amazing. G.O.D. Games, Remedy, and 3D Realms have put together one hell of a masterpiece.

The plot of the game is simple enough. After playing the game for no more than 15 minutes you discover that Payne's entire family, and best friend, have been killed by a drug syndicate that Payne has infiltrated as an undercover cop. Of course with nothing left to lose, Payne sets out on a mission to destroy everyone that has wronged him.

The game is like a movie. A Jon Woo movie to be more precise. In fact Woo refrences are scattered throughout the game. The atmosphere in the game itself is so realistic it can get hard to distinguish it between real life and a virtual world at some point.

As you get more immersed in Max's world you find it hard to leave. You want to know what happens next. Payne's character is soo well developed that you feel like you owe him, and want to help him out by furthering him towards his ultimate goal.

One reason for getting so attached to Max himself is that the game's revolutionary new engine makes him seem more like a person that a computer game character. If you've ever played any other first person shooters then you notice the same expersion on everyone's pixely face, the same blocky one shirt and pants that never leave the body, and those clumped together mittony fingers that are place around the gun. Not in Max Payne though. Payne himself is extremely detailed. You can see individual hairs on his face as his expressions change. That's right, you can tell when he's happy or sad, because his facial features actually change. When you run down the hall, the coat tails on his leather jacket flap up and down. You can notice individual fingers moving freely on the stock of his trusty Desert Eagle pistol. The same goes for all of the other characters you encounter in the game. By encounter I mean, blow away with an aresenal of different, accumulated weapons.

Now if all of that sounds only ok to you, the killer feature in the game which completely seperates it from anything before, is the "bullet time" feature. Before entering a potentially dangerous scenario you can activate the bullet time feature. For example, say you hear guys talking around the corner(yes you actually hear them talking. funny thing is most of the time their talking about blowing you away if they ever see you Thats another great feature about the game, the sound is amazingly vivid and detailed) Anyways. You hear some punks talking around the corner, you whip out your duel berettas, and you activate bullet time right as you enter a side diving position. Immediately the game switches into slow motion, allowing for you two make quicker decisions as to who to shoot first etc. Much like in the Matrix. When in bullet time you can track indivdual bullets whizzing past you, or even into you. These sequences are amazing. The first time I saw it, my jaw dropped because it just looks so damn amazing. You have to play the game to understand what I mean.

If anyone thinks this sounds even remotely intersting, I highly suggest you go out and buy this game, if your system can handle it. The only reason I decided to make a thread about this is because it plays just like a movie. It really is an experience. That's all I can say about it. It is one hell of an experience.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
how much are they paying you to say this???
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Haha, if you play the game, you'll know where I'm coming from. It's awesome. After I made that post I went to go play it for a bit, I get done, look at the clock and two hours had gone by. It just draws you in. I almost don't want to beat this game because I don't want it to end!

I just beat this a few minutes ago. I loved this game. Loved it I say! I feel nothing but satisfaction after having experienced that. Much better than ALOT of movies I've seen.

While I'm talking about movies, I very, very, VERY, happily announce that a feature film has been planned. If they do it like they did the game, it'll be great. Just great. I can't wait!

I can pretend that things last.
IT'S AWESOME OG !!!

Can't wait to get my hands on this John Woo clone Shoot 'em up

I heard about this.I was keeping track of this game,watched a few trailers and downloaded some cool wallpapers.That made me kinda impatient.After all these delays and testing ,it was worth the wait.I Read all the previews,reviews,interviews to get a glance of what the game would be really like .Hell yeah,the "bullet" time is the coolest feature in the game.It really made me feel like Chow Yun Fat .The gameplay is like any other third person shooter.Simple and straightforward.The ambience is supposedly to be very realistic like you said.Some people are saying that the game is a bit too short in terms of time played to complete the game This is indication that a sequel is a possibility.Lets hope so.

I have already ordered a copy of Max Payne and it should hit my steps in anytime.

Till then Cheers

Aditya

The game is fairly short. But thats perfect for the type of game it is. Some games take a really long time to complete and you get bored of them halfway through, so the length of this game is perfect. It keeps in track with its movie like theme. A good action movie doesn't take more than 2 hours to end, why should the game take forever to end?

I can pretend that things last.
Originally posted by OG-
The game is fairly short. But thats perfect for the type of game it is. Some games take a really long time to complete and you get bored of them halfway through, so the length of this game is perfect. It keeps in track with its movie like theme. A good action movie doesn't take more than 2 hours to end, why should the game take forever to end?
I agree with you.

But this game is very nice from how it looks.It makes you want more and more.You want to kill more and and have more fun.Like Serious Sam. Heard of it? For $20 you're getting all the fun !!!

But then in the end,too long makes things boring.Agreed.

Max Payne RULES!

The 4 years of developement really show. Althought it was kinda short it was still really nicely done. The Graphics and photodigitalized textures were gorgeous and being able to hear all the conversations between the bad guys, like best movie ending ever and such, and how to disarm a bomb, it was really good. The bullet time feature was grate and they way they did it helps to prevent you from wearing it out to much... and I beat it before OG!!! hahaha