Quentin Tarantino: a filmmaker god

Tools    

Quentin Tarantino - 4 films, and considered a god
---------------------

what made me write this topic is..i wanted to c tarantinos new film KILL BILL
and when i read the reviews, the film came out friday oct 8th, and today is oct 14th
and the film went in the best 100 film list in history...can u belive that?? after just 4 days or so?
that drove me nuts...crazy, how can a film make it so big in only 4 days, and ive always been curious
about is TARANTINO the big shot he really is?
i myself..didnt c what the big deal about a guy
who only made 4 movies??/ whats so special about him???
why the hell is quentin tarantino, who if u saw on tv looks really stupid
and acts really retarded, is now one of the best filmmakers in history
im serious like in the world, quentien is to be called one of the best
filmmakers in history, he gave Travolta his come back role in pulp fiction for e.g
i have no doubt..that quentien is one of the best writers of our time
his for major directorial movies are in the top 100 in history...now thats big
although i saw his films, and i liked them, i still dont know the answer lol
but maybe this topic will say why tarantino is considered a genius

-------------------------------

BRIEF INFO:
Quentin Tarantino is a cultural icon in the film industry with the development of his mangy characters‚ quirky dialogue‚ narrative structure and salutes to pop-culture.

Directing powerful and successful feature films including “Reservoir Dogs‚” “Pulp Fiction‚” “Jackie Brown‚” and one segment from “Four Rooms‚” Tarantino has become a master of bringing life to film.

He made his first film in 1986‚ “My Best Friend’s Birthday” and followed it up by writing his first script‚ “True Romance” a year later. Tarantino exploded onto the scene in 1991 with “Reservoir Dogs‚” picking up a strong cult following. His next feature‚ “Pulp Fiction‚” went on to become one of the most highly acclaimed movies of all times‚ grossing over 100 million dollars worldwide and picking up several Academy Award nominations for Best Picture‚ Best Director‚ Best Actor‚ Best Supporting Actor and Actress‚ and winning an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay.

Currently Tarantino is in production on his latest feature film‚ “Kill Bill‚” a chop socky epic starring Uma Thurman. “Kill Bill” will wrap production in early 2003 and is slated for a fall 2003 release.
---------------------------------

Trade mark
His main characters drive cars from Chevrolet, such as Jules's 1974 Nova and Vincent's 1960s Malibu. He often frames characters with doorways, and shows them opening and closing doors. Much of the violence and minor character dialogue is offscreen in Tarantino's films.

Suitcases: A suitcase plays an important role in Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown and True Romance...

Makes references to cult movies and television

Frequently works with Harvey Keitel

Main character usually dies: Vincent Vega, Jacob Fuller, Mr. White, Clarence Worley (died in original script)

Re-uses names: ie "Vincent" and "Marvin" appear in both Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction

His films usually have a shot from inside a car trunk

Frequently casts Tim Roth

Lead characters usually drive General Motors vehicles, particularly Chevrolet and Cadillac.

Always has a Dutch element in his films: The opening tune, Little Green Bag, in Reservoir Dogs was performed by George Baker and written by Jan Gerbrand Visser and Benjamino Bouwens who are all Dutch, The Amsterdam conversation in Pulp Fiction , The mentioning of Rutger Hauer in Jackie Brown

The Mexican Standoff: All of Tarantino's movies (including True Romance (1993), which he only wrote and did not direct) feature a scene in which three or more characters are pointing guns at each other at the same time.

Often uses an unconventional storytelling device in his films, such as retrospect (Reservoir Dogs), non-linear (Pulp Fiction), or "chapter" format (Kill Bill).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trivia
Was sued by Don Murphy for $5,000,000, accused of assault. Tarantino attacked Murphy in restaurant, slammed him against the wall and punched him. [14 November 1997]

Together with Lawrence Bender founded record company called A Band Apart Records. It will focus on film soundtracks and its releases will be distributed through Maverick Records, owned by Madonna. [30 July 1997]

Was planning to direct an episode of "X Files, The" (1993), but refuses to join the Director's guild of America. The guild refused his request for a waiver so that he could direct the show. [November 1996]

Claims that Tarantino acted in the film Dawn of the Dead (1978) or the film King Lear (1987) are incorrect. Quentin falsely listed these credits years ago on his acting resume to compensate for his lack of experience and these incorrect credits have subsequently been attributed to him in such places as Leonard Maltin's Movie and Video Guide and the Cinemania CD ROM.

First noted screenplay was titled "Captain Peachfuzz and the Anchovy Bandit" which was written in 1985

Tarantino claims that James Best taught him how to act.

Collects old board games having to do with TV shows (I Dream of Jeanie, Dukes of Hazzard, Mr. T (A-Team), etc.)

Has an ongoing feud with Oliver Stone for the way that he misdirected Natural Born Killers (1994)

In all of his original screenplays the name of a police detective named Scagnetti is referred to at least once. Most of the times the particular scene was cut out of the final versions.

Director Spike Lee criticized Tarantino for the excessive use of racial slurs in his film Jackie Brown (1997). Quentin said Spike was just mad because "nobody goes to see Spike's films anymore." When Quentin said this in 1998, Spike's movie "He Got Game" was currently number one at the box office in the USA.

Is widely reported to have helped to write Tony Scott's Crimson Tide (1995).

As of the year 2001 he wanted to begin filming the film _Kill Bill (2002)_ with Uma Thurman. Production was delayed because of Thurman's pregnancy.

Is a big Three Stooges fan.

Is of Italian descent.

Although he uses both elements in his films, QT strongly detests violence and drugs.

Is listed in the acknowledgments of actor Ethan Hawke's novel, Ash Wednesday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal quotes (THESE R FUNNY)
(at MTV Movie Awards 1994) as he won Best Picture for Pulp Fiction (1994)) "Pop quiz, hotshot: you go to the awards ceremonies all year long; you keep losing to Forrest Gump (1994)! It's really annoying the hell out of you - what do you do? You go to the MTV Awards!"

(after "rival" director Guy Ritchie married Madonna) "I guess I'll have to marry Elvis Presley to get even."

"If I've made it a little easier for artists to work in violence, great! I've accomplished something."

"When people ask me if I went to film school I tell them 'no, I went to films.'"

(on using surfing music when hating the surfing culture) "It's like surf music, I've always like loved that but, for me, I don't know what surf music has to do with surf boards. To me, it just sounds like rock and roll, even Morricone music. It sounds like rock and roll Spaghetti Western music, so that's how I kind of laid it in."

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it."

"First off, I've always thought of the black suits as mine, so I don't think of them as Agent Smiths, I think of them as Reservoir Dogs with less cool sunglasses. The similarities between the fight sequences never occured to me until I had a director's screening and Luc Besson turned up with Keanu Reeves as his guest. I watched Keanu watching and suddenly I felt it." - on the comparison between Kill Bill's group fight and Neo v's 100 Agent Smiths

"Sure, Kill Bill's a violent movie. But it's a Tarantino movie. You don't go to see Metallica and ask the ****ers to turn the music down" - on media criticisms of violence in his movies

"What if a kid goes to school after seeing Kill Bill and starts slicing up other kids? You know, I'll take that chance! Violent films don't turn children into violent people. They may turn them into violent filmmakers but that's another matter altogether" - on media criticisms of violence in his movies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FILMOGRAPHY:
Actor
• Little Nicky (2000)

• Kisses in the Dark (1998)

• Somebody to Love (1997)

• From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)

• Desperado (1995)

• Destiny Turns on the Radio (1995)

• Four Rooms (1995)

• Pulp Fiction (1994)

• Sleep with Me (1994)

• Reservoir Dogs (1992)

Director
• Kill Bill Vol. 2 (2004)

• Kill Bill Vol. 1 (2003)

• Jackie Brown (1997)

• Four Rooms (1995)

• Pulp Fiction (1994)

• Reservoir Dogs (1992)

Producer

• Curdled (1996)

Screenwriter

• Jackie Brown (1997)

• Four Rooms (1995)

• Pulp Fiction (1994)

• True Romance (1993)

• Reservoir Dogs (1992)
=====================================================================================
LOL well my fav. 4 tarintino films are my fav 4 he directed..so here goes with in order
-----------
1 PULP FICTION (1994) (one of the most influential film classics in history)

comments:7 oscar nominations, winning best screenplay, ensamble cast, gave Travolta back his popularity (his comeback film), tarantino's classic, and considered
one of the most powerful and greatest film of our time making over 200 million worldwide with endless fans. i wont lie, i loved the film

plot:Writer-director Quentin Tarantino revisits the seedier side of Los Angeles--following 1992’s RESERVOIR DOGS--with this funny, violent, tongue-in-cheek tribute to the less "classic" side of filmmaking--the potboilers and capers, the Blaxploitation flicks and gangster movies. The film interweaves three tales, told in a circular, fractured manner, which only fully connect by the time the final credits roll. The first story focuses on Vincent Vega (John Travolta) and Jules Winnfield (Samuel L. Jackson), two hit men on duty for "the big boss," Marsellus Wallace (Ving Rhames), whose gorgeous wife, Mia (Uma Thurman), takes a liking to Vincent. In the second, a down-and-out pugilist (Bruce Willis), who is ordered to take a fall, decides that there’s more money in doing the opposite. The final chapter follows a pair of lovers (Amanda Plummer and Tim Roth) as they prepare to hold up a diner.

Tarantino wears his cinematic influences proudly, bringing them to life in the ironically hip, self-referential 1990s. The result is a work that changed the face of independent cinema forever, making it a legitimate player in the Hollywood mainstream. The all-star cast steps into their roles with obvious glee, and Tarantino once again uses his soundtrack to up the "cool" ante yet another notch, making for a motion picture event that has worked its way into our national vernacular.

Cast overview, first billed only:
Tim Roth .... Pumpkin (Ringo)
John Travolta .... Vincent Vega
Samuel L. Jackson .... Jules Winnfield
Bruce Willis .... Butch Coolidge
Ving Rhames .... Marsellus Wallace
Uma Thurman .... Mrs. Mia Wallace
Harvey Kietel

awards:
Academy - 1994
Category Nominee Win/Nominated
Best Supporting Actor
Samuel L. Jackson Nominated
Best Supporting Actress
Uma Thurman Nominated
Best Director
Quentin Tarantino Nominated
Best Editing
Nominated
Best Original Screenplay
Quentin Tarantino Win
Best Picture
Nominated
Best Actor
John Travolta Nominated
Best Original Screenplay
Roger Avary Win

100 Greatest American Movies
Win
Canne golden palm
win

critics reviews:
Austin Chronicle
Marjorie Baumgarten "Rarely have I left a movie theatre more thrilled or invigorated as I did after leaving Pulp Fiction." more... A-
BBC
Almar Haflidason "Despite an almost audience-annihilating run time of nearly two and a half-hours, it is consistently absorbing." more... A
Chicago Sun-Times
Roger Ebert "...so well-written in a scruffy, fanzine way that you want to rub noses in it..." more... A
Empire Magazine "...the kind of movie you look forward to seeing again even as you're watching it..." more...
Film Threat
Brad Laidman "...the first masterwork of the post-modern pop culture generation." more... A
filmcritic.com
Christopher Null "...a rare masterpiece..." more... A
Norm K at the Movies "...wild, unique, smart and hilarious." more... A
Q Network
James Kendrick "...one of the most audacious, confounding, and ultimately exciting pieces of cinema to hit the screen in years." more... A
ReelViews
James Berardinelli "...one wild ride." more...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
2 RESERVOIR DOGS (1992)

comments: An amazing, awesome, pumping powerhouse of a movie,

plot: Former video store clerk Quentin Tarantino’s directorial debut, RESERVOIR DOGS, is a brutally funny, supercharged introduction to his supremely distinct cinematic vision, which was later to become one of the most mimicked styles of the 1990s. Mastermind Joe Cabot (Lawrence Tierney) assembles a crew of top-notch criminals to pull off a jewelry store heist. As the film opens it becomes immediately clear that the plan backfired, forcing the survivors, who have gathered at an abandoned warehouse, to figure out if one of them is, in fact, a police informer. The crew--Mr. White (Harvey Keitel), an aged veteran; Mr. Orange (Tim Roth), a wounded newcomer; Mr. Blonde (Michael Madsen), a psychopathic parolee; Mr. Pink (Steve Buscemi), a bickering weasel; and Nice Guy Eddie (Chris Penn), Joe’s son--begin to unravel as the pressure becomes too much for them to handle. When Joe arrives, the truth becomes clear in a vicious Mexican standoff.

Tarantino takes liberally from Hong Kong action flicks, most notably Ringo Lam’s CITY ON FIRE, but his ultra-hip ‘70s soundtrack and hysterical pop culture dialogue make the film seem wholly original and new. Taking a cue from the French New Wave--most notably Jean-Luc Godard--RESERVOIR DOGS remains one of the decade’s most influential motion pictures.

Cast:
Harvey Keitel .... Mr. White/Lawrence 'Larry' Dimmick
Tim Roth .... Mr. Orange/Freddy Newandyke
Michael Madsen .... Mr. Blonde/Vic Vega
Chris Penn .... Nice Guy Eddie Cabot
Steve Buscemi .... Mr. Pink
Edward Bunker .... Mr. Blue (as Eddie Bunker)
Quentin Tarantino .... Mr. Brown

critics reviewsL:
Film Threat
Brad Laidman "I can't remember a movie getting me so excited about what you could do with a little bit of money..." more... A-
filmcritic.com
Christopher Null "...a stellar directorial debut from some guy named Quentin Tarantino." more... A-
ReelViews
James Berardinelli "Gripping and gut-wrenching, Reservoir Dogs is likely to stay with you for a long time." more... A
Washington Post
Desson Howe "For those sanguine enough to handle it, Dogs is the most riveting experience of the year
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
3- JACKIE BROWN (1997)

comment: great cast..but i wasnt that crazy about..

plot: Quentin Tarantino's first feature since "Pulp Fiction" adapts the Elmore Leonard novel "Rum Punch" while adding the flair and style of his earlier films. Stewardess Jackie Brown becomes a central figure in a plot involving an ATF agent, an arms smuggler, and a bail bondsman that ultimately comes down to who's playing who.
Jackie Brown is the name of a flight attendant who gets caught smuggling her boss' gun money on the airline she works for. Luckily for her, the Fed Ray Nicolet and the LA Cop Mark Dargus decide to team up in order to arrest the arms dealer she works for, whose name they don't even know. Here's when she has to choose one way: tell Nicolet and Dargus about Ordell Robbie (the arms dealer) and get her freedom -except that if Ordell suspects you're talking about him, you're dead- or keep her mouth shut and do some time. That's when she meets Max Cherry -her bail bondsman-, a late fifties, recently separated, burnt-out man, who falls in love with her. Then Jackie comes up with a plan to play the Feds off against Ordell and the guys he works with -Louis Gara and Melanie Ralston, among others- and walk off with their money. But she needs Max's help. No one is going to stand in the way of his million dollar payoff...

Cast:
Pam Grier .... Jackie Brown
Samuel L. Jackson .... Ordell Robbie
Robert Forster .... Max Cherry
Bridget Fonda .... Melanie
Michael Keaton .... Ray Nicolette
Robert De Niro .... Louis Gara
Michael Bowen .... Mark Dargus
Chris Tucker .... Beaumont Livingston

Critics:
Chicago Sun-Times
Roger Ebert "This is the movie that proves Tarantino is the real thing..." more... A
Cincinnati Enquirer
Margaret A. McGurk "...markedly old-fashioned..." more... A-
E! Online "...a hip tour de force..." more...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
4- KILL BILL - vol. 1 (2003) (the huge surprise)

comments: i havent seen it, but from what i read and see, i MUST see it, and the film went in the best 100 film list in history...can u belive that?? after just 4 days or so?
The Fourth Film by Quentin Tarantino...with a whole new style

plot:Uma Thurman is going to KILL BILL, in Quentin Tarantino's latest film about a former assassin betrayed by her boss, Bill (David Carradine). Four years after surviving a bullet in the head, the bride (Thurman) emerges from a coma and swears revenge on her former master and his deadly squad of international assassins, played by Lucy Liu, Daryl Hannah, Vivica A. Fox and Michael Madsen.

Cast:
Uma Thurman .... The Bride/Black Mamba
David Carradine .... Bill
Lucy Liu .... O-Ren Ishi/Cottonmouth
Daryl Hannah .... Elle Driver/California Mountain Snake
Vivica A. Fox .... Vernita Green/Copperhead
Michael Madsen .... Budd/Sidewinder
Michael Parks .... Sheriff
Sonny Chiba .... Hattori Hanzo

Critics:
-Ultra-violent (and that's an under statement!)
-GO SEE THIS FILM!!!
-KILL BILL IS KILL GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!
-fun, fun, fun
-Quentin strikes again.
-an instant classic
------------------------------------------------------------------------

so after that topic u read..u think tarantino is a god among directors? just from 4 films?
i think the guy is a wacko...but in a very very genius way...comeon..he has 4 directed films
in the top 100 films in history...the guy has to be a genius

waiting ur replies and comments

hear tarantino talk..U HAVE TO HEAR THIS...its funny as hell: http://www.impossiblefunky.com/realaudio/qt9.rpm

Do you know my poetry?
Quentin Tarantino is indeed a GOD of the cinema. Quentin just does classic movies everybody will remember, he creates these characters that will become instant classic characters. He's probably, what I consider, one of the best directors in of the last decade. I like his movies in this order :
1. Kill Bill - Saw this movie last week, really really intense stuff, and I loved every single moment of it.
2. Pulp Fiction - Classic characters, great plots, great direction, basically great everything.
3. Reservoir Dogs - This movie I really like, its really fun to watch, i've seen it many times.
4. Jackie Brown - Although very good I liked his other work better.

P.S - I love the way he talks.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Godfather, you should really give credit to whatever website you cut-&-pasted all of that info from (not doing so is the equivilant of plagiarism).

You say that Kill Bill made it on some list of the top 100 films of all time, but didn't say which top 100 list it was. It couldn't have been the AFI list, so which was it?

Originally Posted by Kong
Godfather, you should really give credit to whatever website you cut-&-pasted all of that info from (not doing so is the equivilant of plagiarism).

You say that Kill Bill made it on some list of the top 100 films of all time, but didn't say which top 100 list it was. It couldn't have been the AFI list, so which was it?
oik ddude..relax..i didnt say i wrote this workd for word and didnt create the pics and not makin money off of it..so chill, were in a forum we chat, hope we dont get charged for mentioning ppl now

It was beauty killed the beast.
Originally Posted by GODFATHER
i didnt say i wrote this workd for word
Yes, but you didn't disclose the fact that you didn't write it word for word, and that's the problem. Anytime you use material that isn't yours you should provide the source. Someone worked hard to research and write that information about Mr. Tarantino and they deserve to be given credit for it.

Hi
Originally Posted by Kong

The IMDB Top voted films from is probably what he was talking about. It's around 93 or something.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Plagiarism, that's an interesting word when discussing Tarantino.

Do you think he ever saw Long Hu Feng Yun (City On Fire) 1987?

Guyz
Chilllllllll
Its From Ledgitmate Websites
I Put The Things Together
Its From Multi Sources
Its Plagrisim If Im Making Money Off Others Work
Im Not
Its Simply For Acknowledgment
Someone Might Right Travolta Acted In Pulp Fiction, If I Write The Same Then Im Plagrizing??? Give Me A Brake
Relax Stop Mumbling About Unecessary Stuff U R Not Lawyers And This Is Just Info, God Thats So Damn Childish

Quentin Tarantino has to be one of my favorite directors of all time.

He works with a genre that just really makes you crazy, but you like it.

I have alot of respect for Quentin and I would love to meet him someday.

Other then that I don't have much to say because you've already brushed up on all there is to say.

He has really kick ass soundtracks, which doesn't hurt his reputation, IMO.

The Green Lantern
"Kill Bill" simply blew my mind. I went to see it the opening day. I was walking to my car and just about to turn around and go see it again. I didn't. I went to see it again the following Monday. Can not wait for The second part.

The fight scene at the end looked like it came out of a Wolverine issue.

I agree with everything these people are saying. I've been a huge Tarantino fan for a while now. I love his style. Especially a director/writer coming from sheer and utter bankruptcy. I love his gritty combinations of both violence and humor, just enough so that the audience is not too overwhelmed because they are always ridiculously violent films. He also gives the actors such an amazing backdrop with his soundtracks. i mean imagine walking down the street in slow motion with "Little Green Bag" playing (Reservoir Dogs) or Misiirlou while you rob a diner of all places (Pulp Fiction). What a fantastic and truly innovative writer/director. Hope to see much more of him in the future.
[punches him in the face, grabs him and points his gun right at his throat] I never said anything about the FBI. She's my partner, ese. And if anything happens to her, I will find you and I will kill you. I won't think twice. Come here, look in my eyes. [pushes barrel of the gun into his mouth and cocks it] Look at my face. If anything happens to her, I will kill you. This is between you and me, and nobody sees, nobody knows.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Whether or not you like his films, the guy knows his 'stuff' when it comes to cinema.

In my opinion, he has yet to make a bad film.

Suspect's Reviews

Movie Forums Extra
I always like QT's movies, they are just different. Also Robert Rodriguez.

I have yet to see Grindhouse but I heard Dead Proof triumphed over Planet Terror. I thoroughly enjoyed Sin City though and I'm looking forward to the sequel.
Death Proof was horrible. I had a story with enough weight to last, maybe, 30 minutes. But, it went on to drag its self out into a feature length movie. Horrible. Planet Terror was brilliant when compared to its retarded step brother, Death Proof.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Movie Forums Extra
Great post. I've always been a fan of his movies.

Welcome to the human race...
Death Proof was horrible. I had a story with enough weight to last, maybe, 30 minutes. But, it went on to drag its self out into a feature length movie. Horrible. Planet Terror was brilliant when compared to its retarded step brother, Death Proof.
Pretty much. Note that 30 minutes is roughly the same amount of time dedicated to car chases in the whole movie.

Annie Hall - er, Sin City? Tarantino didn't do it nor is he doing the sequel...

5. Resevoir Dogs
A mexican stand-off. Pop culture laden discussions. Casual cursing with machine gun rapidity. A mixed bag collection of songs that could only be found on a cassette that was taped by some nerd boy who collects comicbooks, works in an indie video or record store & thinks that guns are bad-ass.
All the elements that would qualify a film as being described as "Tarantinoesque".
And this is where it all started.

4. Jackie Brown
A great vehicle for Pam Grier, Deniro does an awesome job "acting out-of-character", a slicked-back Samuel Jackson is downright evil & Bridget Fonda is simply fine as hell in this flick.
IMO, the most under-rated of Tarantino's films.

3. Kill Bill Vol. 2
"Here comes the Bride,
all dressed in white..."

Only two words can be used to describe this movie: Bad @ss.
Not only is this Quentin's homage to martial arts flix, but it also includes homage's to anime & those funky, grainy 70's Bruce Lee's wannabe's that made us laugh with their unsynchronized voice-overs, jagged camera movements & b-level musical sound effects. And yet, he was able to combine all these campy characteristics in a manner that was just plain...
well....
... bad-@ss.

2. Kill Bill Vol. 1
Seriously, you wanna know just how bad-ass Beatrice Kiddo, the Bride really is?
At her wedding, not only does she show up looking like she's late into her trimester of pregnancy, but also at the same time, she has enough balls to wear a wedding dress that is white, the traditional color that is supposed to symbolize virginancy.
So then, the question arises,
how does one stop such an act of blatant aborition towards such an endeared long-standing nuptial tradition?
Try sending her a Bill.

1. Pulp Fiction
"What" ain't no country I ever heard of.