October '15 Movie of the Month: SINISTER (2012)

Tools    

First watched Sinister in the theater with my horror-loving bestie and had lots of fun. Second time watching tonight and while I still enjoyed it, the big part of horror that I love is not knowing how it ends. Liked the villain and wished we got a little more on the history of Buhguul but maybe that's in the sequel? Creepiest parts were the Super 8 bits. Least favorite part and biggest criticism is the makeup used on the kids- felt more costume than undead. Perhaps it's just me, but one scene in particular looked like the makeup was applied to their faces but not on the exposed arms and legs. Favorite part of the movie was with Buhguul and the power of imagery and would love to see that developed more in the sequel and or other horror films. Probably won't watch again, but overall I'd recommend to someone looking for some scary fun.
Thank you for participating Funny Face! I enjoyed reading your thoughts. About the history of Bughuul, Derek should know as he's probably the only one here who has seen the sequel.

Maybe I should watch this again. I think I saw it once, and the short version is that I thought it was okay, and got praised more than it probably should have for not being terrible instead of being actually good. I like having an original story, but film isn't about what you tell but how you tell it, and it's told in such an unoriginal way (False Writer got most of them but I think I had a bigger problem with them).

I watched this last night for the second time. I watched it a couple years ago with my wife and we both liked it a lot. I think having someone like Ethan Hawke star is huge for a horror movie. It helps bring some extra credibility having someone who has had success, rather than an average horror with B-list actors. He's very good, and I really like his character because of his flaws. He doesn't play a great guy with the way he puts his work ahead of his family, and that makes the character much more interesting. Fred Thompson and Vincent D'Onofrio are also big pluses, and they're both actors I like a lot anyway, even though they have small roles. The wife, kids, and the deputy are pretty much cookie cutter roles, but I think you're going to get that to a certain extent with any horror movie. The story is real good with a nice ending. It's eerie, and even macabre without being graphic. It starts right away at the beginning too. I had good headphones on, and I noticed how excellent the sound quality was which helped with a bunch of jump scares, and this movie has a lot of them. It's a really well made movie all around. I think it's one of the best horror movies of the decade, and it was a great choice for movie of the month for Halloween.

Hell Yeah Crick'! You rock buddy

Woody Allen is a pedophille
Sinister
I'm not a huge horror fan, but I've always believed that a good horror movie should still be good even if it does't scare you. Since fear is subjective, whether or not a movie scares you shouldn't affect it's quality. I can't deny that I was scared by Sinister. It scared the sh*t out of me. Sinister is one of very few horror movies from the past five years that can scare you and goes beyond. When I first saw this film it was with some of my buddies. We have a tradition around late October where we all pick a scary movie to watch. I absolutely expected Sinister to be a bunch of jump scares and not much else, but to my surprise, it wasn't. My main flaw in the movie were some of the characters, and I agree with what Cricket said in his review. Ethan Hawke's character was much more different and unique than most other horror characters, but most everyone else was pretty bland. If I were to rate this film on a scare level, it would be a 5, but as an overall film I will bring it down to a 3.5. I would gladly saw that this is one of the best horror movies of the 2010s so far. That being said I plan to never watch this movie again.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I wasn't as big a fan of the film as some people are, but it did it's job well enough.

Unlike others, I didn't find it that scary. In fact, I'm sad to say that I hardly even remember it. The creepy kids were creepy enough and the idea behind that is interesting, I wish it could have capitalized on that though.

Hawke does well in genre picture though. Although I feel the same as I did with his other "horror" genre film The Purge. Interesting ideas, not executed as well as I hoped.

Suspect's Reviews

I wasn't as big a fan of the film as some people are, but it did it's job well enough.

Unlike others, I didn't find it that scary. In fact, I'm sad to say that I hardly even remember it. The creepy kids were creepy enough and the idea behind that is interesting, I wish it could have capitalized on that though.

Hawke does well in genre picture though. Although I feel the same as I did with his other "horror" genre film The Purge. Interesting ideas, not executed as well as I hoped.
Yeah I do kinda agree that it is more "creepy" than "scary" not a ton of jump scares and stuff. I did like the atmosphere it created.

The atmosphere was one of the more memorable aspects of the film.

I have no real interest in the sequel either.
Yeah me neither to be honest...

Sorry Derek!

-

A great horror film with some quirks (Ex. several scenes that I believed should have been re-ordered) that prevented a higher score, which is a shame as I expected this to be a
, but I can't really give it that.

Great choice Derek!
Well to give some of the flaws in detail.

WARNING: "Sinister" spoilers below
1. Baghuul, the antagonist, is said to be a Babylonian deity. After doing some research, it looks like the filmmakers made him up as he doesn't have a wikipedia page saying he's from historical documents X Y and Z. It's a nitpick but it would have been nice if he was an actual character from mythology. Correct if I'm wrong please.

2. Around the halfway point, Officer So and So calls Hawke to say he discovered that one of the families that were murdered lived in the house the pervious family had been murdered. Hawke says Holy Sh*t and Baghuul's image in the background moves. This scene should have been deleted as the audience learns of the supernatural element before Hawke and it made the revelation at the end of film (Bughuul possesses the daughter to kill her family after Hawke moves back to his original house) easier to predict.