2011 Best Picture Oscar

Tools    

What gets you MoFo vote for Oscar's 2011 Best Picture?
10.53%
4 votes
BLACK SWAN
2.63%
1 votes
THE FIGHTER
13.16%
5 votes
INCEPTION
2.63%
1 votes
THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT
26.32%
10 votes
THE KING'S SPEECH
2.63%
1 votes
127 HOURS
28.95%
11 votes
THE SOCIAL NETWORK
2.63%
1 votes
TOY STORY 3
5.26%
2 votes
TRUE GRIT
5.26%
2 votes
WINTER'S BONE
38 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I'm still of the opinion that Toy Story 3 was really the best picture of 2010. Of course, I knew it didn't have a snowball's chance of winning. Oh well.

I was glad to see that the 5 additional "mercy nominations" for Best Picture, intended to give their fans something to root for, didn't do squat as far as awards. Basically they could have narrowed it down to 2 nominations, The King's Speech and The Social Network, as the real contest for Best Picture was between those 2 (to the point that I figured Social Network would garner Best Director as a consolation prize). The other 8 just needlessly dragged out the awards ceremony

Semper Fooey
Doesn't it seem silly to add five nominations for Best Picture when there are hardly five movies that deseve to be called that? The mention of Citizen Kane losing out to How Green was My Valley in another thread had me going through the films released that year and there were a number of excellent films that could have been nominated and were not. That is no longer the case. I later looked at the year The Greatest Show on Earth won, a very mediocre film. Not only did they pick it over High Noon, but they also nominated the mediocre Ivanhoe. Also released that year and not nominated were the superior Singing in the Rain, Viva Zapata, and The Bad and the Beautiful. There were probably others. That was just from looking at films nominated in other categories.

The extra nominations don't bother me at all. If they win, then they deserved to be there. If they don't, it's not as if it hurts the winners much. It somewhat cheapens the idea of being nominated without winning, whatever that's worth, but anyone who pays attention to such things can devalue those claims accordingly, anyway.

The bad news is True Grit didn't win.

The good news is neither did Inception, The Social Network or Black Swan.

King's Speech was a fine film. One I enjoyed and certainly worthy of the award.

The bad news is Gunny's going to keep taking shots at all sorts of well-liked films and never offering any serious reason or elaboration for it.

The good news is it's kind of becoming funny.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'll admit that I still haven't seen some of the films, but from ones I've seen and what I know of the others, I don't really see any undeserving films on the list. Thus far, I give none of them less than a

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Seeing as The Hurt Locker won last year, I think they'll go for something a little more mainstream. They've given The King's Speech twelve Oscar nominations- if they weren't seriously considering it for Best Picture, they wouldn't've done that.
Yep, that's how it went. The Hurt Locker was amazing though. I have not seen THe King's Speech yet.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
The King's Speech is deserving I guess, but, I really enjoyed the Fighter, Inception, The Social Network and especially Toy Story 3 more than Tom Hooper's film.

The extra nominations don't bother me at all. If they win, then they deserved to be there. If they don't, it's not as if it hurts the winners much. It somewhat cheapens the idea of being nominated without winning, whatever that's worth, but anyone who pays attention to such things can devalue those claims accordingly, anyway.
It would have taken a miracle for some of those 10 entries to have walked away with best picture. On the other hand, The Social Network earlier was thought to have a lock on the best picture Oscar until The King's Speech showed up on screens and started taking awards. The remake of a classic western that originally starred John Wayne pretty well ruled out both Best Picture and Best Actor awards for that film since the original is still within living memory. It was kinda lame to put Toy Story 3 up for best picture when it was a shoo-in for best animated feature (it's correct category). Inception was popular with young males but couldn't hope to attract the majority of academy votes with so many members outside that specific target group. Black Swan and The Kids Are OK (or All Right or whatever the title) were not going to appeal to a broad enough audience to take best picture. I hear The Fighter was good, but I don't think it had the same power as the two top nominees. Plus all of the talk about that film centered on Best Supporting Actor and likely Best Supporting Actress. As for the guy falling down a hole and having to cut his arm off, I don't think that would ever be the best picture of any year. And I can't even remember offhand the 10th title, but tell the truth--did you ever hear any serious talk all this year of any movie other than Social Network or King's Speech taking Best Picture?

Everything I read in the final days before the awards had King's Speech walking away with both best picture and best actor, so there couldn't have been much suspense as to whether any of the other 9 would win.

It's hard enough nowadays to find 5 real contenders for best picture of the year, much less pulling 5 more names out of a hat for mercy nominations.