One Movie

Tools    

I've like the lists of "movies to see before you die," but what if we narrow it down?
What if you could show someone just one movie? What would it be?
Or what if it was an alien; someone who was unfamiliar with the human race, what one movie would you show them?

Personally, I'm not sure, but I think it would probably be To Kill a Mockingbird.

I've like the lists of "movies to see before you die," but what if we narrow it down?
What if you could show someone just one movie? What would it be?
Or what if it was an alien; someone who was unfamiliar with the human race, what one movie would you show them?

Personally, I'm not sure, but I think it would probably be To Kill a Mockingbird.
Why not take it further? Why would you select that film?

My pick would be Citizen Kane because it really is the best movie ever made, with an imaginative story line that is well told; pioneer camera, audio, and set techniques later copied by others, and a great cast, most of whom weren't known by the public at the time of the film's release but who became major stars and featured players afterward. And if you really are introducing an alien to the human race via a movie, this one covers about every aspect of human nature.

Ouch!!! Oh, this is so hard, because there are so many films that I like well enough to see as suggested (I'm still thinking about and enjoying life, however), but, to be honest, if push came to shove and I absolutely had to choose one movie, it would be......can everybody guess.....West Side Story.

Le Roi de Coeur - King of Hearts
1966, Philippe de Broca

Impossible to pick just one of course, but while I almost went with The Bicycle Thief (1948) and there's a part of me that wants to be perversely honest about the inhumanity of humanity and say Dogville (2003), I guess I'm in just enough of an optimistic mood to say King of Hearts instead. I've watched The Day the Earth Stood Still enough times to know that the Earth's warlike ways need some sort of explanation, and the satire of King of Hearts at least starts a discussion. There's also insanity and love and laughter and innocence, so what they hey.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Well if it were aliens I was showing it to I would have to go with a Teletubby episode. Either they would thik we are all loons and just leave us never to return, or they wouold think we have discovered the meaning of life in which case we could open trade agreements.

I honestly have no clue. To give them a taste of what everyday life can be like, I would have them view Parenthood.

Le Roi de Coeur - King of Hearts
1966, Philippe de Broca
I'll need to hurry up, and finish this.

well i guess
STAR WARS

would be my pick naturally.

its just an every type movie that i think everyone/thing would enjoy. if not that Raiders of the Lost Ark perhaps. just any great fun movie is what i would show to an "outlander"

I would say it more than a little depends on the person or creature or alien or whatever you're trying to show the film to. Would you throw on a screening of Men in Black for a race of large insects that just stopped by? Maybe, maybe not. Do I throw on Predator or Independence Day when a big spaceship lands in the back yard and a bunch of really big dudes with guns get out? You know, to sort of intimidate them like? "Mess with us and this is what's gonna happen pal!" Again, maybe and maybe not.

If it's a person it solely depends on the person doesn't it? I'm a selfish and self centered person sometimes so wouldn't I just want to show them my favorite movie Braveheart? I mean who wouldn't want to watch what is obviously the best movie of all time? Anyway, I took a shot, this ain't Rocket Science. Maybe we should just go with Meatwads choice and call it a day...

back to the futuer part 2 or daster in time.

Why not take it further? Why would you select that film?
I would choose To Kill a Mockingbird mostly because it's a morality tale, and shows humankind at its best and worst. It's also a slice of Americana, showing how people lived in a certain time and place.
Oh, and it's a great, great movie.

And props for King of Hearts. I love that movie. When I was a teenager there was a repertory movie theater in Washington, DC that showed double bills in a 6-month cycle. One of those double features was King of Hearts and Harold and Maude. Still the best double feature I've ever seen.

"Glory". To show them that there are principles that are greater than self-preservation.

well i guess
STAR WARS

would be my pick naturally.

its just an every type movie that i think everyone/thing would enjoy. if not that Raiders of the Lost Ark perhaps. just any great fun movie is what i would show to an "outlander"
I wonder how aliens would take to watching Han Solo blow away whats-his-face in the bar scene.