Movies people can't dislike without losing your respect

Tools    

Picture this: you're on a date. It's going wonderfully; you like the same TV shows and movies, and even hate the same actors (thanks, Rob Gordon!).

Then, he/she/it drops the bombshell: they absolutely hate BLANK. You, of course, adore BLANK. You love BLANK so much that you can't help but lose some respect for someone who doesn't appreciate it.

So, MoFo, I ask you: what movie is BLANK?

Well, I was on a date with a girl watching A Fish Called Wanda during its original theatrical run. Not only did she not laugh even once, but she chastised me for laughing at the accidental dog assassinations throughout.

That relationship didn't last much longer, needless to say. And she had BY FAR the biggest rack of any girl I've dated...one of the biggest (100% natural) pair I've ever seen in person, actually. Nice enough girl, ZERO sense of humor - dark or otherwise.

There are certainly movies I love that I'd give a pass on the other person not liking. But the core essence of not just a cinephile but their make-up as a human being that I don't think I could get past would be somebody who had no use for movies like Casablanca, Singin' in the Rain, Young Frankenstein, Jules & Jim, His Girl Friday, North by Northwest, King of Hearts...movies like these. That they might not get into BladeRunner or Chinatown or The Wild Bunch or Rashômon and feel the need to watch them over and over again, I can deal with that. That they wouldn't want to see His Girl Friday at any moment, that could cause problems.

My Special Lady Friend happens to love Singin' in the Rain and The Wild Bunch. So it's all good.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Well, my girl doesn't even like going to the cinema, or have big boobs. Talk about raw deal.

To me though, i'd rather they like Blade Runner than Singin' in the Rain. Don't mind if they don't like older films as i've not seen as many as i should or revisionist classics like Wild Bunch or Chinatown, since if they're not into films they won't appreciate them so not much point. I think Holden's on the mark about humour, they have to be similar to mine so people who don't laugh once through Borat get marked down, even if comedy is a very subjective genre. Modern classics are probably highest on my list of films to like- Matrix, Fight Club, Goodfellas, Big Lebowski etc.

However i'd loose the most respect if they don't give a film a chance.

Picture this: you're on a date. It's going wonderfully; you like the same TV shows and movies, and even hate the same actors (thanks, Rob Gordon!).

Then, he/she/it drops the bombshell: they absolutely hate BLANK. You, of course, adore BLANK. You love BLANK so much that you can't help but lose some respect for someone who doesn't appreciate it.

With all due respect, who judges people on what movies they like or dislike? Unless you plan to spend your life in a cinema, what does it matter? I've probably disagreed and argued with virtually eveyone in this forum, but it doesn't mean I disrespect them. Hell, my own wife has seen Citizen Kane only one time, doesn't like foreign films with subtitles, and absolutely hates Shane (my second favorite Western) because of "that whiney kid." Last week, my daughter, wife, and grandkids shouted down an offbeat musical that I wanted to show them and elected instead to watch rerun episodes of The Office.

Compared to people's other attributes, in the long run, their taste in movies just doesn't matter that much.

I don't disagree, really. However, some movies have strong messages, or specific types of humor, and someone not liking the messages, or not "getting" the humor, can potentially tell you a not-insigificant amount about who they are. It's a bit dangerous to make sweeping judgments based on this sort of thing, to be sure, but we're glossing over those for the sake of discussion.

Mind you, I'm thinking more of a scenario where you adore a film, and the other person out-and-out hates it. We're not talking about someone who has Citizen Kane a few notches lower on their favorite list, or is indifferent to something you like.

Anyway, if you prefer, you can take the question as "if there's any film which someone must like to have your respect, what would it be?"

Hell, my own wife has seen Citizen Kane only one time, doesn't like foreign films with subtitles, and absolutely hates Shane (my second favorite Western) because of "that whiney kid." Last week, my daughter, wife, and grandkids shouted down an offbeat musical that I wanted to show them and elected instead to watch rerun episodes of The Office.

Compared to people's other attributes, in the long run, their taste in movies just doesn't matter that much.
That is funny, about the whiny kid.
I completely agree. It is always nice to have some hobbies in common with the one you love. Cuddling up for some movies, is the top of the list for me. With all the movies and/or TV shows in the world, that plus a touch of compromise, surely most couples can find enough between the two of them, to share the same opinion at times.
As far as people in general, I have always been too easy going with movies. I love a numerous amount. I will give just about* any movie a try. If someone wants to look down on me for my taste in movies, more power to them. Besides, I own more movies than anyone I know. So I don't care!

* I have issues with most remakes.

So many good movies, so little time.
I agree with Casablanca and Singin in the Rain.

I'd also add Raiders of the Lost Ark, Some Like it Hot, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, North by Northwest, Rear Window, To Kill a Mockingbird and The Quiet Man.

It's hard to dislike these movies, if you like movies.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Female assassin extraordinaire.
So, this actually happened to me once.

I was on an IM date, with this dude and it went something like this

me: sooo, The Color Purple ...

WarningTrack: i've never seen it

me: WHAT? you WHAT? oh my god. oh my god you're crazy. how could you have not seen this movie? chris, you go out to the video store RIGHT NOW and you watch this movie, oh my god i'm embarrassed.

WarningTrack: Well, I don't think it's THAT bad, I just never got around--

me: I've lost all respect for you. To regain it, you must watch this movie immediately.

to date, i don't think he's ever seen it. needless to say, we broke up and he gave me negative rep points.

Chappie doesn't like the real world

I would have a hard time with anyone not liking My Life as a Dog because I really love that movie. But, honestly, to me it would be more the thought process behind it. If they didn't like it because they thought it was boring and they hate subtitles, or nothing blew up and no one got shot then hell yeah, I would lose respect for them. But if they could give me a valid argument about why they didn't like a movie that I was so fond of then I would be disappointed, but at least they had a good reason.

That being said, my boyfriend does like most movies that I do with exception to the musicals that I love. I don't think he has a valid reason, but I will grant him a pass.

I shamefully judge people on their movie taste. I got in a fight with a few of my friends, which lasted for weeks because they loved Rocky IV most of all. To this day I make comments like, "well it's no Rocky IV or anything." lmao but now it's just funny to me that they like that movie the most.

I also have a hard time getting along with people who hate Gummo, judging it mainly on the cat killings and "nonsensical" plot. I feel that if they don't understand this movie, than there is no way in hell they will understand me. So I don't bother wasting my time explaining anything.

I'm a snob that way.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
chris, you gave me positive rep for that! are you gonna speak up about our bad date? hehehe

There are those who call me...Tim.
I'd be able to put with someone who couldn't get into films like Bladerunner, The South Park Movie, Star Wars/Trek etc (my mind's going blank so I'm struggling here - forgive me), but if they said they couldn't stand feel good movies like Back to the Future then I'm afraid they'd have to go.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Hard to say, my current girlfriend hates anything with over the top violence and gore....yet she went to go see Evil Dead The Musical with me.

I can't really decide. I guess if she absolutely hated a Scoresese film.

Suspect's Reviews

Short Circuit, Free Willy, Flight of The Navigator, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Now, I realize those are some random ass movies and I haven't seen most of them in a long ass time, but they're a staple in the fabric of my time. If she can't get down with the idea of those movies she's got to go. Get outta' here! Go on, get! If a girl came up to me and smelled like a mix between old cat vomit and pickle juice and mentioned any one of those movies before I pushed her over, I'd have to stay and have a conversation.

Free Willy? Really? Yeah. I don't care. I don't even remember if it's a good movie. I just know a kid saved a whale and it jumped over him. That's good enough for me. Didn't the kid write graffiti or something too? Hell yeah. A badass. Then that whale scares the crap outta' him. Hell yeah.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Welcome to the human race...
Going by the "date" analogy, I think I'd be able to manage. Most of my favourites don't exactly seem like the kind to appeal to girls, so I'm okay with it. As for anyone else, well yeah, it doesn't matter. They're my movies, I enjoy them, so who cares.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Anyway, if you prefer, you can take the question as "if there's any film which someone must like to have your respect, what would it be?"
Likewise, none really. Maybe Blues Brothers or This Is Spinal Tap. And if they really wanted to win me over, then Withnail and I or Brazil.

Ok Confession time Back in the seventies, i was dating a german chef I took him to the movies to see a double i loved Flesh for frankenstein
and Blood for Dracula after the movies he declared that i was a sick individual and didn't want to go out with me again