For All Fans of Drive! Important

Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Drive is being shown in the UK on BBC Three at 10 pm tonight (in 15 minutes) with an all new musical score, just heard about it on the Radio driving home from work. Not sure if an hate the idea or love it, we'll see shorty.

Bla, original score is amazing and good enough. Don't need Zane Lowe(and music bands) coming along and adding his own... hope new viewers to the film pressed the red button and watched with the original music soundtrack and score first!

Heard some music used and in what scenes and compared to the original music, it doesn't go well at all.

Drive completely ROCK ! One of my favorites

It's really weird, don't know if it's bad or if it's because I'm so used to the original soundtrack. Film seems greatly diminished because of it.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Drive is amazing, but it's old score was already spot-on. The only thing that I can say that's negative about it is that I didn't care for the operetic bits.

Wut. What exactly was the point of this, and why did they feel the need to do a new score for it? But, most importantly, why did the filmmakers allow it (or is that not up to them)?

I love Drive, but I hate that song they play a couple of times in the movie-real human bean or whatever the hell it is.
I think real human bean is played only once during the end credits, but I could be wrong. It's probably my least favorite song in a film with a fantastic soundtrack. Cliff Martinez's excellent score is often overlooked as a result of the more popular songs, I feel

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
I love Drive, but I hate that song they play a couple of times in the movie-real human bean or whatever the hell it is.
I respectfully disagree. I thought it was remarkably fitting.

Wut. What exactly was the point of this, and why did they feel the need to do a new score for it? But, most importantly, why did the filmmakers allow it (or is that not up to them)?
Zane Lowe acknowledges that the original score was brilliant and that's part of the reason why he wanted to do this, because it was one of his favourite films and soundtracks/scores. He asked artists to watch and listen to the film, and to be inspired and attempt to recreate the scene using their own music.

No one is saying the original wasn't great or that it needed new music, I for one for this was a pretty cool idea, and an interesting experiment. One that could be more interesting if they picked some other films.

Refn gave his approval and thinks it's great that the film and its music has inspired others to draw from it and attempt their own 'tributes' if you like.

I think real human bean is played only once during the end credits, but I could be wrong. It's probably my least favorite song in a film with a fantastic soundtrack. Cliff Martinez's excellent score is often overlooked as a result of the more popular songs, I feel
It is definitely played in the film too. But yeah, the score is great

Daniel I thought it was a good idea too. However after the first couple of songs which fitted well, the rest felt very out of place and the film diminished as a result.

What I think they should do is pick a film that isn't scored very well or isn't particularly memorable for its music and try to score it better or differently. Poor decision to pick a film scored perfectly(IMO) like Drive, an impossible task. Like rescoring Inception.

I agree with you, I haven't watched it fully, but I saw quite a lot of it and I do think that after the beginning it didn't work as well. Hopefully this isn't a one off and we see some more interesting experiments.

At least it meant Drive on free TV anyway, they showed the original version again tonight on BBC3, and it's on iPlayer.

Yeah hopefully they do it again. Problem is though that they probably have to use Radio 1 music which is 80% shite, whereas a film Director can choose any music from anywhere/ any time period, Scorsese being particularly good at scoring his films.

Why?
The song is great and it fits perfectly in the context of the movie.

"#GAMEOVER420BLAZIT" -bluedeed

I nominated that in one of the song tournaments we did. I like to listen to it while walking through my house in slow-motion with an absent expression on my face.

Damn I missed it - I loved the film and would have been interested to see what impact the score has on creating the perceived 'quality' of a movie. I suspect in this case since the original was so good the modified one lost quite a bit.

Oh just saw the post above about iplayer, will watch there (I am sure it can be found 'elsewhere' too ofc )

Watched it last night, yeh original score much better

Cool profile name......