The Real Desperate Housewives

Tools    

Well since I couldn't post this in the Shoutbox due to the bad request of this being so long, I thought it would be ok to make a thread on it, since I wanted to answer Swedish Chef's question about the NYC hobo who was killed at Wal-Mart by a group of girls who wanted to buy thongs via the Black Friday sale. So I'm not "posting the news" or whatever the whole deal was. This is just to answer Swedish Chef's answer with some info I uncovered.

A worker was killed in the crush Friday after a throng of shoppers eager for post-Thanksgiving bargains burst through the doors at a suburban Wal-Mart, authorities said.

At least four other people were injured, and the store in Valley Stream on Long Island was closed.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in Bentonville, Ark., called the incident a "tragic situation" and said the employee came from a temporary agency and was doing maintenance work at the store.

"He was bum-rushed by 200 people," co-worker Jimmy Overby, 43, told the Daily News. "They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too. ... I literally had to fight people off my back."

Nassau County police said the 34-year-old worker was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead at about 6 a.m. The man's name was not released and the cause of death was not immediately known.

A police statement said shortly after the store's 5 a.m. opening time, shoppers "physically broke down the doors, knocking (the worker) to the ground."

A metal portion of the door was crumpled like an accordion.

Shoppers around the country lined up early outside stores in the annual bargain hunting ritual known as Black Friday. Many stores open early and stay open late, and some of the most dramatic bargains are available in limited quantities.

Among the bargains offered by Wal-Mart for Friday were Samsung 50-inch high definition Plasma TVs for less than $800.

Witnesses told the Daily News that before the store was closed, eager shoppers streamed past emergency crews as they worked furiously to save the worker's life.

"They were working on him, but you could see he was dead," said Halcyon Alexander, 29. "People were still coming through."

A 28-year-old pregnant woman was taken to a hospital for observation, and she and the unborn baby were both reported to be OK, said Sgt. Anthony Repalone, a Nassau County police spokesman. Four or five other people suffered minor injuries, he said.

Ellen Davis, a spokeswoman at National Retail Federation, said the group knew of no other incident where a retail employee has died working on the day after Thanksgiving.

Wal-Mart is working closely with police, company spokesman Dan Fogleman said.

"The safety and security of our customers and associates is our top priority," Fogleman said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with them and their families at this difficult time."
Full Article:
http://cbs13.com/national/walmart.wo....2.875727.html

You're a Genius all the time
And the best part is that when they tried to shut the store down for the day, because a man had been trampled to death by batshit insane idiots, the shoppers became irate since they'd been waiting on line for so long and refused to leave. What the hell.

So you're basically just posting the story then right? Where's the "info" you uncovered? Color me curious.

And the best part is that when they tried to shut the store down for the day, because a man had been trampled to death by batshit insane idiots, the shoppers became irate since they'd been waiting on line for so long and refused to leave. What the hell.
Yeah. I definitely agree. WHAT THE HELL!??
I mean seriously. This is almost something you would see in a Judd Apatow film or something. I mean when people noticed that he was lying on the ground, they still came in.

Just think about it. The people who stepped on him who caused him to die (like the last person that stepped on him), is sitting there at home with their big 50 inch flat-screen TV. And the best part is they don't even feel sorry. They don't feel one bit of guilt.

They shouldn't have tried to make them leave... they should have locked them in...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

the NYC hobo who was killed at Wal-Mart by a group of girls who wanted to buy thongs via the Black Friday sale.
There is no Wal-Mart within New York city limits. But then hobos do tend to travel. Leave our hobos alone, you ****ers! Was the hobo a store employee?

There is no Wal-Mart within New York city limits. But then hobos do tend to travel. Leave our hobos alone, you ****ers! Was the hobo a store employee?
You can blame the news article for that one... and Vertical for not wrapping quotations around the article...

I just read the posts in the shoutbox pertaining to this and like others, am saddened by it but not necessarily shocked... anytime there is a large crowd of people trying to get from point A to point B at the same time, someone being trampled is always a possibility... it's happened at numerous sporting events (particularly soccer games) and rock concerts worldwide... and if I'm not mistaken over 200 people were trampled to death at a religious ceremony in the Middle East a few years ago...

In this still taken from cell phone video, Wal-Mart employee lies unconscious on the New York store's floor after being trampled by a throng of Black Friday shoppers on Nov. 28, 2009. The man was pronounced dead at a hospital.
-CBS
Man, don't these people even bother to read the AP stories that they repost before captioning the accompanying images? Unless it is indeed a caption from some dystopian near-future, where Wal-Mart reigns supreme in the Big Apple as well

But what's all this 'hobo' nonsense?

They shouldn't have tried to make them leave... they should have locked them in...
No, it served Wal-Mart's ends to keep 'em shopping. That's what Black Friday is all about. The 'associate' is easily replaceable.

No, it served Wal-Mart's ends to keep 'em shopping. That's what Black Friday is all about. The 'associate' is easily replaceable.

I hear what you're saying... As far as I'm concerned, Wal-Mart and everyone who was there pushing is guilty of at least involuntary manslaughter and should be held accountable... If it were left of to me, since they wanted to get into Wal-Mart so badly... I'd let them live in there for a couple of years... and let Wal-Mart lose the sales from that store and foot the bill for caring for them... of course none of it would really hurt Wal-Mart at all but it'd be cheaper on the state than having to house all of them...

Well, on the bright side, it was at least an interesting way to die... and he didn't die alone!

Not technically. He had 200 people running over top of him - not exactly dying alone, ya know?

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
That was the most horrible, and funny ting I think I've ever read.

And he wasn't the only person to die in Black Friday based 'accident' either. I recolect another person dying because of a sale somewhere in the States that day.

Caitlyn's right though, although it's sad it's not suprising or shocking (unfortunately.) I remember a riot at the midnight opening of an Ikea store in London. Ikea!?!? It's not like there's not hundreds of other, identical stores around the country selling exactly the same crap is it?

A system of cells interlinked
Hobo?

For the record, bum-rushing has nothing to do with actual bums...

Read the story, man!

it is a good show,I think..