The MoFo Top 100 Westerns: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Unforgiven is a decent enough watch but not good enough to make my top 25.
I'm sure I must have watched The Misfits in my youth but there was to be no repeat viewing for this and so not only didn't I vote for it but am also not counting it as 'seen'.

Seen: 5/8
My list:  

Faildictions (yee-haw version 1.01):
92. Bullet For A Badman
91. The Cowboys

Holden, I am loving the way you are presenting this list.

As someone who hasn't watched a lot of Westerns (I gave Holden only 11 or 12 names in my list), this list will present me with a lot of options to watch.

I am already intrigued about 'Slow West'. Will give it a watch soon.

It's the wrong Unforgiven (obviously) but I have seen The Misfits. I can't say I thought it was great or anything but it was ok for what it was.

Without giving away the ending is a no-ending type? Or a big bang ending? Or something else?
To me, it was a big disappointment and a let-down. It wasn't how one would like to see the ending. In a way the ending put me in mind of Doctor Zhivago's.

Both of those John Huston entries look like films that I would love but have never gotten round to. He's a director whose filmography I desperately need to see more of.

At this point The Misfits is probably more famous as being Gable and Monroe's last films than it is for the quality and specifics of the movie itself. Here is an nice, hour-long documentary about the making of the film and Marilyn's experiences on set. Includes interviews with Eli Wallach, Kevin McCarthy, and Arthur Miller.

Contains plot spoilers for those who want to see the flick fresh.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Seen neither, only heard of the Unforgiven and that's because I mixed it up with Unforgiven.

Seen: 1/8
- Slow West (#95)

My ballot:
None

Yahoo! #9 on my list. I love The Unforgiven (1960) if you haven't seen it then you're missing out on one of John Huston's best 'unknown' films.

From my western log journal...

The Unforgiven (1960)

Director: John Huston
Writers: Ben Maddow (screenplay), Alan Le May (novel)
Cast: Burt Lancaster, Audrey Hepburn, Audie Murphy, Lillian Gish

"The neighbors of a frontier family turn on them when it is suspected that their adopted daughter was stolen from the local Kiowa tribe."

John Huston's The Unforgiven was his answer to John Ford's The Searchers. With such stunning cinematography that even John Ford would take notice, this film is way under seen today. And that's too bad as it's one of the most powerful statements on racial hatred towards native Americans that came out of the western genre.

Part of the reason people haven't discovered this hidden gem is the misplaced idea that Audrey Hepburn couldn't play a native American woman. Name me 10 top rated native American actresses working in the early 1960s, you can't because there weren't any. So if one can get over their own prejudices about a white European woman playing a Kiowa girl who was raised by whites and looked white enough to pass as a white woman, then you might actually enjoy this powerful tale of lust and hatred.

The native American Kiowa's are portrayed as human and not just fodder for the gun barrel as in so many other westerns. We see the hatred the settlers have for them and we see that the Kiowa aren't the devils that the whites make them out to be. In fact we see that most of the ugliness is coming from the white settlers with their blind rage hatred of the 'red hides'. That's where Audrey Hepburn comes in, when it's discovered she was rescued from a massacred Kiowa camp and raised to believe she was white, everyone turns on her, even some of her family.

This is a very powerful film, well made and beautiful shot. If that ain't enough, we also get an odd incestuous underlying theme that adds to the underlying tension. This is one of Burt Lancaster's best performances too.
+

I'm not much of a fan of John Wayne, though I did have two John Wayne movies contending for spots on my list, they unfortunately both got bumped off. I haven't seen The Sons of Katie Elder, and it doesn't look like it would appeal to me.

Geronimo sounds like it could be a classic, so I think I'll put it on my list of Westerns to-watch.

Although I'm not crazy about Eastwood either, I like him a lot more than Wayne. Two Mules for Sister Sarah looks entertaining in spite of the wooden acting. I love the sympathetic angle of Shirley Maclaine's character. I'll put this on my to-watch list, and higher than Geronimo.

Warlock was my number 10. I sincerely loved that movie. It was such a dynamic film that had just about everything you could possibly want in a movie. I only wish there had been a little more to the romance.

North to Alaska doesn't interest me. Too much cheese for my taste, although the trailer did give me a couple of chuckles. Especially when he was going down hill in his wagon and hollered, "Oh no," in such a wooden way that it seemed like a parody.

If I had heard of Slow West before the countdown deadline I definitely would have watched it. It looks like my kind of movie, and I'll be putting it very high up on my to-watch list.

Unforgiven looks interesting. I expect the Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman version will show up too, but I like the look if this 1960 movie with Burt Lancaster and Audrey Hepburn more. Although the acting doesn't look great, and that's kind of typical of Burt Lancaster movies, the story and drama do look pretty great, and that is also typical of Burt Lancaster movies. Audrey Hepburn has such a wonderful charm like an ideal actress. The trailer gave me very "classic" vibes. I'll put it on my to-watch list too.

I don't know how I feel about The Misfits. On the one hand it looks like a charming movie with a classic vibe, but on the other hand it doesn't really look like much more than that. I don't know much about Marilyn Monroe, but what I've seen and heard about her hasn't exactly been modest so far. In terms of an "ideal actress" she seems on the opposite spectrum from Hepburn. Even if Hepburn is willing to do some implied nudity, she sincerely comes across as a modest woman. With Monroe it's the other way around, an immodest actress trying to come across as modest character. But at this point that's more of an impression than anything else. I'm curious enough to watch this movie and see how it affects my opinion of her. Either way it looks like a good movie worth watching, and it looks like it could surprise me and be better than I expect.

Seen: 1/8 (12.5%)

My List  

To-Watch  

Uninterested  

The Misfits is a strong movie, quite a somber experience watching it and knowing that both Marilyn Monroe and Clark Gable would die soon after the film. The story itself is rather downbeat and almost seems to be about the end of things. Not on my list as I only voted for 'core westerns' but a solid movie.

The Misfits is a strong movie, quite a somber experience watching it and knowing that both Marilyn Monroe and Clark Gable would die soon after the film. The story itself is rather downbeat and almost seems to be about the end of things. Not on my list as I only voted for 'core westerns' but a solid movie.
Well, that does peek (Edit: pique) my interest an extra notch, but so did your high praise of The Unforgiven. Hard to say which one I'm more interested in now. I might just have to bump both of them up my to-watch list...

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The films are watchable but I prefer The Misfits. The Unforgiven takes awhile to get going and it has too many "day for night" scenes but the racial commentary is good and the siege at the end is exciting. Still no votes for me.
The Misfits (John Huston, 1961)
- Visionary film seems better now than when it was released, telling a still-pertinent story about how someone can survive in this world without bowing down to "The Man". Marilyn Monroe gives her finest performance and is just about matched by Clark Gable, Eli Wallach, Montgomery Clift and Thelma Ritter. Unfortunately, this Arthur Miller (Monroe's then husband) screenplay was the last film for both Gable and Monroe who died shortly afterward.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
haven't seen either of these and, hopefully, will be rectifying that.

Watched 1 out of 8 (12.5%)

No luck this round either. I first heard of The Unforgiven when it was mentioned in the voting instructions and unless The Misfits has anything to do with the band I hadn't even heard of it before today.

Seen 0+2/8 (that's 0 in any meaningfully recent history + 2 so long ago that I don't really remember much about the films)

...unless The Misfits has anything to do with the band I hadn't even heard of it before today.

The Misfits is actually the origin stories of all the Misfit Toys before they were banished to that island where they'll meet Rudolph one foggy Christmas Eve. In fact this is where the idea for the television series "Lost" was really taken from.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
The Unforgiven is number 14 on my list. Worth watching just for the horse chase scene. John Saxon describes it here...

The Dimitri Tiomkin score is over the top, not in a good way.

At this point The Misfits is probably more famous as being Gable and Monroe's last films than it is for the quality and specifics of the movie itself. Here is an nice, hour-long documentary about the making of the film and Marilyn's experiences on set. Includes interviews with Eli Wallach, Kevin McCarthy, and Arthur Miller.
I've enjoyed The Misfits several times, but I think mostly for its unique director and cast. Some of the film is a little torturous. Many believed that Monroe's unprofessionalism and delaying antics frustrated Gable so badly that it hastened his fatal heart attack. I'm not a big fan of Montgomery Clift, although I did like him a lot in Hitchcock's I Confess.