Film Restorations News

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
A news/shout-out thread for new releases of old films restored to glorious Bluray/1080p/4K/whatever.

I may be a little bit late to the game because the 4K restoration of La roue has been available for almost a year now but I think other people may not know about this either, so:

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Is it in 4k? Or just scanned in 4k? If you mean the limited edition released last year in France I think it's 1080p. I'd love to se it either way.

Speaking of 4k, I was amazed to see that Mikhail Kolatazov's 1959 masterpiece 'Letter Never Sent' has a 4k version and Mosfilm have uploaded it to youtube.....

Is it in 4k? Or just scanned in 4k?
No idea! I don't think the 1080p vs. 4K thing is that important. What's important is that the new version is 413 minutes long! It's 4 hours longer than the previous Cut version.

Speaking of 4k, I was amazed to see that Mikhail Kolatazov's 1959 masterpiece 'Letter Never Sent' has a 4k version and Mosfilm have uploaded it to youtube.....
Yeah, saw that and wanted to rewatch it, but in the end I didn't!

Maybe we'll get a restored version of Magnificent Ambersons or Greed someday. Someday.

Still waiting on Gance's 7-hour Napoleon restoration that was delayed last month.

I enjoyed the 4 hour La roue but it'll be quite a commitment to go for 7. Maybe I'm just more excited for Napoleon because I've been waiting to see it for nearly 30 years.

Maybe we'll get a restored version of Magnificent Ambersons or Greed someday. Someday.
Ambersons has been restored already.

Ambersons has been restored already.
I think @John W Constantine meant the full version, as the film was butchered by the studio and a big chunk of it was cut. I'm afraid this footage is lost, but oh well, we already had some miracles, so...