Oregon people are freaking out????

Tools    

One of the quotes featured in that article states: "I've lived in this state all my life and I REFUSE to pump my own gas. I had to do it once in California while visiting my brother and almost died doing it." I really want to hear the rest of that story. Like...how? Did he recreate that scene from Zoolander?

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Has January 1st replaced April 1st?

It's always weird for me to go to Oregon because they won't let you pump your own gas. So that's changing, hmm.
Only for counties with populations of fewer than 40,000.

I kind of get why they're freaking out - unless they've been driving outside of the state or have worked as gas attendants, they might not even know how to pump gas. However, it's not that hard to either google it or ask someone to show them.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
In the glorious United Kingdom we fill up our own "petrol".

In the glorious United Kingdom we fill up our own "petrol".
Most of America does too. It's only Oregon and New Jersey that don't.
I'm not sure about NJ, but in Oregon the law was put in place to preserve jobs.

I pump my own as well, even in the local 'service' station. I cant stand the thought of sitting in my car and just waiting for the guys to come over and ask how much petrol I want or if I want my windscreen cleaned.

Dunno what you guys are on about, breathing the fumes when you pump your own gas can cause severe brain damage, which will eventually lead to your brain exploding out of nowhere. People from Oregon would know!!!

Y'all are cray cray, it's mad dangerous filling up with gas - I'm with the Oregonians (not sure if that's the correct plural) on this.....

What the hell? Who needs a terrorist!

Most of America does too. It's only Oregon and New Jersey that don't.
I'm not sure about NJ, but in Oregon the law was put in place to preserve jobs.
Yes, here in NJ we do not know how to pump our own gas. We don't know how to operate a gas pump. In fact, you are not permitted to pump the gas. The pump can't be activated without an attendant and if you try to speed things along when your tank is full by getting out and just removing the pump from your car, you will usually be reprimanded for touching the pump.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Yes, here in NJ we do not know how to pump our own gas. We don't know how to operate a gas pump. In fact, you are not permitted to pump the gas. The pump can't be activated without an attendant and if you try to speed things along when your tank is full by getting out and just removing the pump from your car, you will usually be reprimanded for touching the pump.

And when New Yorkers go to New Jersey, we always stop and fill the gas tank on the way home because gas is cheaper in New Jersey, but if the attendants aren't going to let us pump our own gas, they should at least pay attention to the pump so we don't have to wait forever to leave when it's done.

And when New Yorkers go to New Jersey, we always stop and fill the gas tank on the way home because gas is cheaper in New Jersey, but if the attendants aren't going to let us pump our own gas, they should at least pay attention to the pump so we don't have to wait forever to leave when it's done.
I thought New Yorkers got their fuel in NJ because there are no gas stations in New York? Seemed to be a running joke when we were there. I think we saw one station and it was in some far far away borough.

Yeah, that's a problem when there's a crowd.

if the attendants aren't going to let us pump our own gas, they should at least pay attention to the pump so we don't have to wait forever to leave when it's done.
Never been to NJ, but I assume that they're like Oregon in that it's against the law to pump your own gas so you can't really blame the attendant for "not letting you" do it. Also I assume that, like the gas stations I've visited in Oregon, one attendant is manning multiple pumps so if it's a busy station you should expect to have to wait and factor that in to your schedule.

I thought New Yorkers got their fuel in NJ because there are no gas stations in New York? Seemed to be a running joke when we were there. I think we saw one station and it was in some far far away borough.

There aren't many gas stations in Manhattan, but when you leave the city, there are plenty of gas stations. (I'm on Long Island, where there's a gas station on almost every corner.)

There aren't many gas stations in Manhattan, but when you leave the city, there are plenty of gas stations. (I'm on Long Island, where there's a gas station on almost every corner.)
I completely forgot about Manhattan gas stations (Or lack thereof) until this thread.

Yeah, that's a problem when there's a crowd.
Never been to NJ, but I assume that they're like Oregon in that it's against the law to pump your own gas so you can't really blame the attendant for "not letting you" do it. Also I assume that, like the gas stations I've visited in Oregon, one attendant is manning multiple pumps so if it's a busy station you should expect to have to wait and factor that in to your schedule.

It doesn't seem to matter how busy the station is. We usually leave NJ late at night, and the gas stations are usually pretty empty when we're there. Even when we're the only car there, the attendants just walk away and it takes forever for them to come back to the pump. Sometimes they go inside the store and talk to the cashiers for a while and forget that there's a customer waiting for them at the pump.