Are films getting longer?

Tools    

I don't disagree that you can adjust in some part to these things.
OK
And I don't claim you are Wakkety Saxing your movies.
OK
But you talking about speeding up fugues and adjusting the pitch control, and it being the same tune, just further seems to illustrate a fundamental blindness where you refuse to distinguish that because they remain the same notes, in the same sequence, it is the same thing.
On the contrary, when you adjust the pitch on a turntable you stretch the notes a little bit too. With modern video software, however, the pitch is kept the same and only the rate of play is accelerated. In this sense, video software does less violence to fidelity of sound reproduction.
It simply isn't. How we relate to music as it reveals itself is intimately tied to how long it takes.
You seem to think that the "true" artwork is experiential. It's how you feel that matters.

If so, we might see the mechanism of the experience to be irrelevant so long as we can create the same emotional/perceptual state with drugs or meditation or perhaps we might use neurolink to active a sequence of qualitative states in a particular (start with a feeling of curiosity, the perception of being at the start of a great journey, next fade into a sense of threat and opportunity and awe presented by the disclosure of the premise/blockage...). If the artwork is nothing but a sequence of perceptual states, we would get closer to the artist's intention by bypassing the inconsistent mechanism of playing those notes of perception/emotion/qualia (a medium) and just playing the right notes in your brain (e.g,. with Musk's neurolink).

On the other hand, if the work of art is an abstract object with definitive qualities (and you do seem to be particular about not monkeying about with the objective features for fear of altering the experience that follows), we can observe that object without having to perceive it exactly the same way every time we observe it.

And indeed, our perceptions of artworks change with different viewings, even "pure" viewings (e.g., intended setting, intended medium, intended rate of speed) vary considerably. A horror film will sometimes strike us as being comedic. A comedy intended to cheer us up can make us sad. That the artwork tries to make us "feel" a certain way is no guarantee that we will have precisely the phenomenological "trip" that was intended.

The only thing which is consistent from viewing to viewing is the artwork itself. This is why we can return to it to re-experience it (somewhat differently), to consider what the artwork attempts to say and do (without necessarily agreeing with the intended message or having the intended emotional experience -- it is possible, for example, to appreciate a good joke without laughing).

Not how long it takes in comparison to everything else being played. Simply how long it takes us to sit with it. If this nuanced difference doesn't register with you, I don't know what to say.
Two points here.

First and again, I maintain that at 1.1 to 1.2 times speed your brain wraps itself around the playback, relativizing the experience, leaving it much the same experience. I maintain that you can substantively experience the film as well as can be hoped (because none of us has precisely the same experience of anything) with modest speed-shifting. If you have lightly tinted glasses or adequate hearing aids you may substantively "see" the same painting or "hear" the same symphony. Speed is, to a point, relative in our experience of it.

Second, and as we've agreed, the objective features of the artwork are not lost. The objective feature of "duration" (in time) is altered in an accelerated playback, however, since it is (apparently) not the objective features that matter to you, but that to which the features point (that which is referenced), this doesn't really matter so long as we can intersubjectively "get" what it is that the original length/speed of the film was trying to say/do: "Ah, we sat quietly with protag on that bench for five minutes because the filmmaker wanted us to feel the anxiety of waiting for that bus." Again, we can get a joke without laughing at a joke. Indeed, we can recognize that a joke is of good quality even if the spell did not have the desired result (a spontaneous laugh).

There are nuances of difference, sure. But here is my challenge to you. How great is this "violence" in terms of nuance? Is it, for example, as great as watching Lawrence of Arabia on an IPhone than on a giant screen projecting a 70mm print? Is it as great as the violence done by cropping and pen-and-scan to make film fit in 4x3? Is it as great as the violence of the many "cuts" of popular films that are for sale? And which cut is the "real" cut?

To the point, if the nuance of upping the speed a bit does less violence than other interventions which you to enter into filmic conversations to protest "Not the real artwork!" then you are inconsistent and should either

1. Puritanically tell off everyone who reveals they did not have an ideally intended viewing of an artwork, Or....
  2. Cut me a break for only going 5 MPH over the speed limit. Come on, officer! Everyone is driving 60!

The horns of a dilemma confront you.
Yes, these are all other examples of how we can distort (and sometimes diminish) our viewing experience. I think most people would agree if we watch different versions of movies, it is a different experience. Same goes for the aspect ratio frames. I also imagine most people can extend this understanding to the speed at which the frames move.
So, you're going to go the puritanical route?
As for whether or not we ever watch the same movie....certainly not when we factor in all of the elements which can intrude on the experience.
Here is my next challenge. If the variability in "experience" (Let's bracket for now the controversial question of whether the artwork is merely sort of experience in your head. Rene Wellek is waiting in the wings for this one.) is comparable or less than the variability of the idiosyncratic noise brought by the average viewer (e.g., their prejudices, tummy ache, recent break up, lottery win, knowledge of how police work is actually conducted) then we should accept the acceleration as inconsequential noise that does not radically change the viewing experience.
I frequently have to stop films because my attention span is garbage these days, interrupting the flow of the images.
Well, you may have the attention span of a goldfish, but the long-term memory of an elephant given your recollection of our original conversation. I am not sure if I should pity the former or envy the latter.
This is an example of me not being the purist of viewers.
I am sure you still "get it" just fine and see more than an average viewer on their good day.
I'm still seeing everything, like everyone else, but that disruption alters how I watch the rest of the film. Irrefutably. And this isn't even getting into all the ways outside factors affect how we watch. Our moods, the company we are keeping, our levels of intoxication etc etc etc. These also make each viewing a different experience (I don't think I've myself ever watched the same movie in the same way twice, so to speak). But the difference with those, and you speeding up the film, or me constantly pausing to talk to my cat, is we are changing the film itself by elongating or shortening the experience.
I've noticed that where an when you read a book can have an impact. Also, there is the old chestnut about listening to a particular album on vacation on repeat so that you may conjure the memory of that experience later on a re-listen.

We are none of us pure, perfect, transparent receptors for artworks. We are various, promiscuous, plastic, translucent, and interactive participants. This is why artworks can stay the same while experience of it varies. Pinning our hopes to a pure experience of the thing is a fools hope which would leave us adrift in a universe of an infinite number of artworks, each corresponding to a particular experience of it. If so, the aesthetic relativists really would have us beat, wouldn't they? And if so, what would the point of our conversations be as we are never talking about the same thing?

Are you sure you can't be talked down from the experiential ledge?
I'll say it again, as you seem to like things to be repeated when the posts of others don't mesh up with the debate you are having, I hardly see what you are doing as a sin.
No worries. I was not trying to call you out. I only vaguely remember the original exchange and not the players.

As you know, I love these little debates, and if I am ever changed by conversation, that is sometimes a benefit, right?

But don't pretend like nothing has changed because it is absurd.
In terms of relatively common experience, I am only asking for a little bit of leeway with speed. Can't you just let me off with a warning for 1.2x speed? Isn't it basically the same thing? Isn't it close enough? Do you have to write that ticket?

Things change (they're always changing), but I don't see this intervention as being as violent. In my experience, you wind up having the experience, more or less, as a typical person would have of the film.
While I acknowledge her experience listening to Bitch's Brew may have been a deeply unpleasant one,
I'm with her on that one.
and that it was very much her reality of the song, the fact that she would never acknowledge that her deafness may have been affecting her judgement was always pretty annoying to listen to....maybe I can introduce you one of these days
Well, we're being a little unfair in speaking of a person who was basically deaf. Again, you agreed that 1.1 to 1.2 is not Yackety-Saxing, so we're getting off the map when we speak of people who are radically impaired in terms of perception.

I'd prefer to stick to metaphors of lightly tinted sunglasses and hearing aids for those who can still, basically hear (even if their frequency range is not quite 100%).
I can only hope you haven't been shamed into doing such a time wasting thing as this. I also can't help but wonder, if there is absolutely no difference between these two approaches (real time vs. speeded up time) why would you ever watch it at normal speed?
Good question. My answer is it is precisely because there isn't really that much of a difference. I am lazy. I have found it easier to just playback files in normal tempo. You have to go into settings a monkey around to speed things up. That, and I find that I am not as inclined to "gut it out" with media that I don't like or which drags on too much.
Knowing and experiencing are entirely different beasts. You are treating film like accumulating data.
A behaviorist robot debates a mystic cultist?

Here is where I'll call upon Wellek.
  • The poem is not marks on the page. If it were, we could not recite the poem aloud.
  • The painting is not the viewer's response. If it were, we would be left with a new painting for every varying experience of it.
  • A book is not the writer's private intention. If it were and the author failed in achieving her intention, we would never have "the book."
  • A film is not an ideal Platonic object. Artworks are symbolic and our symbol systems change over time.
  • The work of art is a system of norms which govern symbol use. Part of the reason that an artwork like a poem can be lost to time is that we can lose our memory of a language. If that poem was not successfully (however imperfectly) translated into a living language and it's idiomatic norms, it is simply lost even if a token of the poem (etched on a clay tablet somewhere) remains.
We approach an artwork, in part, to have an experience, but the artwork is not the experience. Moreover, we can recognize even the intended experience (the total message including objective facts, but also intended affect) in an artwork without having experience it when we recognize it (e.g., we can recognize the funniness of a joke without laughing).

I am approaching the artwork as a system of norms. A temporary accomplishment (systems of norms change and expire) resulting in an objectivity and a loose intersubjectivity (in the experience of the thing). You're looking for the artwork in the ectoplasm, so to speak. And this, I believe, is mistaken.
And in the process, discarding how the spaces that are placed between this information can be toyed with, without it having any kind of effect whatsoever.
You're not playing fair. Again, we've agreed that I am not Yackety-Saxing, right? Moreover, I agree that we approach the work of art to have an experience. And although there are infinitely variable experiences of an artwork we may, nevertheless, share a loose "average" experience which a given experience of it approaches. And before you try to make the move of reducing the work of art to the "average" experience (the Lowest Common Denominator), be warned that Wellek has arguments against this idea, as well. At any rate, I acknowledge that adding speed does have a small effect, but I also maintain that within limits the experience of speed is relative and that our brains recalibrate the experience into "normal time" (e.g., time "slows down" in a car accident, the conscious mind is actually a half-second behind reality).
It's just, frankly, a weird stance.
Well, if my stance were that extreme, it would be. But I think you've straw manned it a wee bit.
With this kind of logic, I could submit to you a written synopsis of Jeanne Dielmann and you could claim you now 'know' the movie without having to even watch it.

Wakes up
Makes bed
Makes another bed.
Cleans dishes
Prepares lunch
Cleans dishes
Sits
Begins dinner preperation
Goes to market
Has dinner with son, in silence
(repeat three times, but include a spatula falling off the wall at some point)

Sure, you end up knowing in general what happens in the film. But the whole purpose of watching a film like this is to live in her time. To observe her daily rituals and not have the escape of speeding things along.
Gads! You make it sound like I cannot really understand that the protagonist is bored being idle in a cage without having the escape of speeding things along. Your cut of the Count of Monte Cristo would be 21 years long if we did not have some release from "being Danton" in that prison cell!

But even Jeanne Dielmann is "only" 201 minutes long and not 4,320 minutes. The film merely refers to her life. It offers a reference, a depiction, and we "get it" with the 201 minute run time. I dare say we would still get it if we sped things up to 1.1 to 1.2 x speed.
Yes, this is an extreme example, from an extreme movie, and time is more important in this one than most....but its not like these concerns become irrelevant as soon as we move away from art house fare.
I don't disagree that we approach an artwork in the hopes of having an experience, but I merely protest that we can have substantively similar experiences under varying viewing conditions.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
One movie my two friends said was too long was Malcolm X, and they said they should have cut off the first third and just start out with Malcolm in prison. But I disagree...

I feel that by showing what Malcolm was like for a third of the movie before prison that we really get a feel for his character change and would not have that feel if it was just referrenced to in dialogue to save time.

I also can't help but find a soft spot for Apacolypse Now Redux even though a lot of fans say the original is better because Redux was too long. Maybe it's because I saw Redux first and didn't even know there was a different original cut until later, but I find myself drawn to Redux more for some reason.

Dune was too short, needed to be 4 hours long
Dune isn t what i expected, it s too slow and not interesting enough

The trick is not minding
WARNING: Extremely long post ahead. I just woke up, and didn't edit myself, so there is probably a lot more here than you have any interest in reading. Ooops. But that's what you get trying to engage me in such a difficult topic as 'what is art'

To me asking if we must attach the term 'art' to films is like asking if it is important to attach the word 'tomato' to what type of sauce we are about to put on our pasta. As slippery and hard to define a term as art may be, it ultimately means something in regards to what we are getting out of a film. I think a question I'd bat back to you would be, why do you feel there needs to be any resistance to viewing something as art? And maybe, that not uncommon rejection of the term, is why people like me see a need to go to bat for films that will ultimately have a diminished value if the only metrics we have left are to weigh them against 'craft' or 'entertainment' or 'product'.

While everyone is going to have their own little accents on how they choose to define what 'art' really is, it shouldn't be thought of as a word that excludes. In many ways it has such a broadly open definition that we can adapt it to nearly anything. It is why such works as Duchamps readymades, or John Cage's '4' 33' are essential in liberating the term. Duchamp taking a urinal and putting it in a gallery, or Cage having his audience sit in complete silence for four minutes and 33 seconds, as much as people may roll their eyes at such experiments, democratize what art is. They allow us to see the world as naturally full of art, it is only up to us to see the mysterious or beautiful or terrifying or peculiar in what already surrounds us. Art, by such a definition, is whatever we choose to say moves us. Then, ideally, allows us to try and to begin communicating why, so as we can have some kind of communal experience in appreciating whatever it is we've pointed at and said 'art!'.

Such a broadening of the definition though doesn't make it something irrelevant. It makes it completely malleable to the individual, which is essential to drawing the film ever closer to us. To make us understand eachother better when we talk amongst ourselves about a movie. Unlike the other very important element involved in the creation of film--craft--it doesn't have rules, or specific ways we can begin to critique whether it does something well or not so well.

With craft, we can talk with great clarity. We discuss character motiviations and if they pan out, allow us to buy into the reality of the movie. Or we can talk about whether a scene was well lit and how its composition elevated the drama of a moment. How the editing moves things along, or brings everything to a halt.

Now, these are also very important conversations to be had when talking about what films we want to champion or revile. But they are also extremely incomplete. They don't give us much room to insert our own ideas into why something affected us so much. The notion of 'art' is what permits us to start bending the rules of traditional criticism. It is the place where the difficult but (at least for me) most beautiful discussions about a film take place. Where we can begin to embrace the elements that go against the grain of what we expect something should do. Where we find justification for experimentation. The nonsensical. The confounding. The deliberately opaque. It crawls into all of the spaces we otherwise would have trouble defining. Is what allows a film to say the kinds of things that we generally have no notion how to communicate in the real world.

These more abstract, and ultimately more personal ways of looking at a film, are also what conversely allow us to crawl out of our own skin and put the general needs we have as an audience member (drama, entertainment, resolution) over to the side for a brief moment. Instead, give us a chance to start trying to consider the intent of what someone else is trying to show us. Give us a window into the obsessions and passions and malfunctions of the director. Deepen empathy, and thus a greater connection between the audience and the artist. When looking through someone elses eyes (or lens in this case) we can insert ourselves into the struggle an artist has in trying to tell us things that previously didn't have any great language to cleanly articulate.To empathize with the act of creation.

In short, art is where all of the magic happens. If we are to make a religious analogy, craft is the church's architecture that surrounds us, the sermon is the films presentation and message, and art is the holy spirit. We can't prove its there, but it is always the most interesting part to talk about because of its transience.

And, to be sure, absolutely all of this can be applied to superhero films. Or romantic comedies. Or soap operas. Or sitcoms. Or even the dreaded shot on video horror movies I tend to attach it to. But it does ask us to look a little deeper than simply talking about whether or not a characters plot arc was fully realized. Or if the cinematography was really flash. Or if an actors performance was incredibly compelling. It can include all of these things, but hopefully, not rely solely on the basic text of the film.

It's fair enough that superhero movies need their defenders too. There are a lot of attacks on these kinds of films where people claim fans of them are 'childish' or 'unsophisticated' or that they like their stories spoon fed to them. All of that noise is garbage talk. It's the same kind of noise that tries to sink the value of the horror genre which to me, without any question, can have just as much cinematic and artistic value as Andrei Tarkovsky or Ingmar Bergman. Even though I don't personally see it in superhero movies, I don't begrudge those that do. They simply don't move me. They don't compel me to think or talk about them. But that's just me.

But a lot of this kind of dismissal that goes towards the MCU, comes back ten fold against supposed art films. I dont' know how many times I've been told anyone who is a fan of Jeanne Dielmann (ie. me), is a phony and is just pretending to like something because it is the arty farty thing to do. That there is no inherent value in such a film. There can't possibly be, because it is a fraud. At the very least, in dismissals towards superhero films, as terse and snobbish and irritating and even dehumanizing as those can be, there is an acknowledgement that these films do what these films set out to do. They entertain, and no one doubts that. Yet, those who like art films, are frequently made to read comments that not only are we pretentious ********, but there isn't even any faith that we are talking honestly. What we love is considered without any value whatsoever. Even worse, it is a trick played on gullible people like myself.

So, it's not like there isn't blood on everyone's hands in these petty discussions about what we should or shouldn't like. And it's why I generally dismiss this element of the discussion as irrelevant. Because what we like barely matters. It's how and why we like it. And treating those who are fans of even things we hate with respect. To try and understand what they may be getting out of film. And the more we embrace this flimsy notion of what 'art' is, the more opinions we can start to empathize with.
Sorry for the late response, but I wanted to think more about this before I give it the response it deserves. I don’t want to go too far down into the question of “what is art?” And don’t want to derail the thread too much further, but I do feel you deserve a response.

I have no issue with art as a concept, but I do feel it isn’t evenly applied and even more often it’s treated as if some box to check to decide if a film is “worthy” of consideration or not. If it isn’t considered artistic, it’s deemed a “soulless” exorcise , which to me, misses the point.

Without going too much into specifics, it comes down to how you and I differ in our approach in viewing films. Which is quite fine! We both have our own way of viewing these through our own lens.
I approach film first by determining how it effects me and I ask why? I pay attention to the details, the directions, the acting, the cinematography and so on. But not all of these criteria have to be met. And the question of whether this is artistic or not doesn’t even enter my mind.

Certainly I have found quite a large amount of films that I have found artistic to be worthy films. Daisies, Last Year at Marienbad, The films of Bergman and Bunuel and the previously mentioned Tarkovsky and Santa Sangre (although I was luke warm towards this, I feel I need to give it another chance, as I suspect I’m just not familiar with Jodorowsky).

These films are artistic, and there isn’t any doubt about that. But I’m not going to find that in alot of superhero films due to being a different technique, but they don’t need to artistic, to be worthy obviously. Nolan’s Batman trilogy is, to me and without hyperbole, classics, because of how they delve into the psyche of the eponymous hero, and shows us the depth of his character. They don’t need to be artistic, although I do acknowledge the art behind the craft, but those are two different things, in my mind.

I have no issue with art as a concept, but I do feel it isn’t evenly applied and even more often it’s treated as if some box to check to decide if a film is “worthy” of consideration or not. If it isn’t considered artistic, it’s deemed a “soulless” exorcise , which to me, misses the point.

How could it ever be evenly applied, if the definition of it is ultimately completely subjective? In many ways it is just an umbrella term for all the things which aren't sufficiently covered by the considerably more black and white term 'craft'. Yes, the idea of a films 'artistic' success does factor with me, but its not like I expect other to have the same conditions that allow a movie to qualify. It is a term I employ in explaining why a movie works for me. Or why it leaves me cold, even if otherwise well made. It's not a term that should be used to bludgeon others into agreement.

We both have our own way of viewing these through our own lens.
I approach film first by determining how it effects me and I ask why? I pay attention to the details, the directions, the acting, the cinematography and so on. But not all of these criteria have to be met. And the question of whether this is artistic or not doesn’t even enter my mind.
It's not like my goal when watching a movie is to sniff out the 'artistic' in it. It's not a badge I pin on the movie when I'm done with it. And if it doesn't get such recognition, I hold my nose in its presence. Instead, much of our conversation has had to do with your question of 'why do we even need to us such a term'. And my answer comes in two parts. The first part is that you aren't obligated to us it. At all. When you speak and write and think about a film, if relying on elements that one would more likely call 'craft' is enough for you, its understandable why you would have no use for the word. Craft covers a lot of ground when it comes to criticism.

But for me, I'd be left completely in the wilderness if left to defend a lot of the films I like simply by how 'competent' they are. Or well crafted. A lot of what I like deliberately defies conventions. And I don't want to rely on simply saying the film worked because it was 'weird' or 'difficult' or 'breaks the rules'. Because that would come off as completely juvenile. And so my struggle to explain why these particular films move me forces me to look at what they do from a perspective that forces me to break the movie apart and try to think about it from different angles. Consider elements that might not be on screen. Think about what the film means to cinema as a whole. How maybe I can use the movie as a magnifying glass to investigate the personality of the director who made it. There are literally no end of ways to consider a piece of art when we do this, which is liberating. It gives value to all of the outsider voices out there that are generally being slagged off by those who do not approve.

As mentioned in a previous post, the types of films I like are constantly under attack for their very legitimacy. People get quite angry at films they find stupid or boring being considered with any kind of seriousness. There has been some recent evidence of this in another thread here, just recently. And it is always disheartening to see how unacceptable some find films that employ eccentric or primitive styles and methods. At least when I can start to discuss a film from an 'artistic perspective', it allows me to share why something that might appear so alien or ridiculous or cheap to another person, speaks to me so deeply. Of course, I'll still most likely get labelled as a snob or pretentious for doing so, but I can live with that, as long as I have a chance to not be sitting here with all of these movies I love, completely isolated from sharing them with anyone else.

Sorry about another lengthy response, I legit only meant to write about a hundred words, but I just get lost when I start typing. There will be no offense taken if you don't respond, since we don't want to derail this thread any further (I should have probably just redirected this conversation towards my thread, where I'm happy to live in a constant state of derailment)

Dune isn t what i expected, it s too slow and not interesting enough
It was exactly what kind of movie I wanted it to be: an excellent adaptation of the novel, the only major issue is that it does not cover the whole novel. A few minor issues involve the acting by the lead and zendaya, which is not quite up to the level of their seniors.

I can always pinpoint a scene or two that were totally unnecessary