Happy birthday Sexy Celebrity!

Tools    

"Why do it?" is a fair question when it comes to essentially giving away some kind of effort. But I can say two things to answer it. One boring and pedantic and nerdy, and one...less so.

First, boring/nerdy: much of the Internet is archived. It's not nearly as ephemeral as it was when we were teenagers.

Second: the reason to do it is that you, or someone else, gets joy out of it. Maybe you really like writing reviews. Or people love reading them. If that happens, then it almost doesn't matter how long it stays up. If you post something funny, and you make people laugh and feel a little better...isn't that a good reason to do it, even if all of it vanishes a minute later? They still laughed. They still felt better. You still did that.

Anyway, that's how I try to look at all this stuff. If the site closed tomorrow, yeah, I'd be sad. I'd be sad if all this stuff was gone. But I still know a lot of people would have gotten a lot out of it, and that will always be true, whether there's a record of it or not.

I just thought to myself - how long is it all gonna last?

I looked at everybody doing so much work on the forum - the countdowns, JayDee with his movie reviews that are practically each a novel, everyone else who has done almost 1,000 reviews.

And I felt.... why keep doing it if one day it's all just gonna be lost? Why not try to focus on something else..... more important?

I mean, there's good reason to do it..... I certainly enjoyed doing it.... I miss hearing that voice that came out of me, because it's not something that just comes out of me all the time. You have to channel it. Like calling a spirit. Writing is very athletic. Mentally. What I did was a lot of training. I am sad the training isn't there on display anymore. But.... I worried it was all gonna go away eventually, anyway. And I'm sure it will. There are millions of movie reviews on the internet. Many being written every second. There's a lot of chatter out there. It's like a big communications system, a brain, neurons talking to each other, whatever. My little station just decided to go off the air for awhile. But.... who knows? There could always be a new station, new chatter, new information.
My problem, I guess, is I can't handle hearing myself.

Second: the reason to do it is that you, or someone else, gets joy out of it. Maybe you really like writing reviews. Or people love reading them. If that happens, then it almost doesn't matter how long it stays up. If you post something funny, and you make people laugh and feel a little better...isn't that a good reason to do it, even if all of it vanishes a minute later? They still laughed. They still felt better. You still did that.
So much this.

"Why do it?" is a fair question when it comes to essentially giving away some kind of effort. But I can say two things to answer it. One boring and pedantic and nerdy, and one...less so.

First, boring/nerdy: much of the Internet is archived. It's not nearly as ephemeral as it was when we were teenagers.

Anyway, that's how I try to look at all this stuff. If the site closed tomorrow, yeah, I'd be sad. I'd be sad if all this stuff was gone. But I still know a lot of people would have gotten a lot out of it, and that will always be true, whether there's a record of it or not.
I just started feeling more and more that my voice didn't need to be heard. That I wasn't.... "in vogue" or something. So, I thought..... okay. I can step down. I can let other people have the microphone. It doesn't kill me. I'm nobody special.

There were people going around acting crazy over things I said, especially when I joked around. I did not feel wanted. I was only trying to help people, that has always been my mission. Help myself, too. When I stopped feeling like I couldn't do those things, I dunno, I didn't see a reason to be here. I don't want to be a burden. I don't want to make trouble. I just wanted to give something to the world that it was missing. Even now, I feel like I'm doing that. I don't attempt to do what's already been done. I attempt to create things that are new and that people will appreciate and make a part of their life. I wanted to be a co-creator of the forum in a way. Yoda made the house, but I wanted to decorate certain rooms. Because I figured the house could have an endless amount of rooms. I'm not really about limitations. I am as vast and open as the entire universe. There's simply a reason why everything exists. Otherwise, it wouldn't be there in the first place.
But you do decorate rooms.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Well, I wasn't entirely proud of all of my reviews, either. I honestly .... kinda wish I had taken a different approach to the whole thing. Perhaps even something less..... wacky.
Never EVER regret being wacky. Those are the moments that gets us through the more dire, overly serious moments. And as time goes by the REAL regret is: not letting yourself BE a little wacky now and again.

You're alright, Sexy. You don't feel like it, but you are.

We all come to crossroads, but not all of us pause and give all of it and ourselves serious consideration, or, have the courage to be so blunt and honest with our selves.

And if you felt a need to purge, then purge. There are times when we need to clear away the old work to make room for the new creativity.

And the point of it is: the universe cannot and will not continue without the countless specks of light propelling it forward.
So SHINE, baby, shine!!

I may not know you personally, Sexy, but I DO KNOW you make the ride exciting.
And let me tell you, that is some special sh1t right there.

take care, Sexy

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, YOUR SEXINESS!
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

You can't win an argument just by being right!
It's friday here so happy friday, happy burfday, and I hopr you have fun and frolics all weekend. cannot post gifs on my lappie. so i'll post several next bithrday.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I know you're in an unusual situation now, but isn't it only midday Thursday in Oz?
U 1mmmm my brain is pretty well in Galah mode at the moment and I had to ask. Spot on Mark,
Let's just pretend it's Friday. Ye#re hah.

God 5his auto-correct is in more Galah mode than I am. Driving me insane.but I do know it's currently 206pm in aydney. My phone is telling me so it must be true.

It's been the most complex year here for me at Movie Forums. On the good side, I finally won Survivor. On the negative side.... lots.

I'm really sorry for all the trouble I've caused. I hope you'll still treat me like one of the family. I think that I need to work on getting back on track here because I definitely got off.

Thank you, everybody!
Dude you'll never stop being one of the family.

It's been the most complex year here for me at Movie Forums. On the good side, I finally won Survivor. On the negative side.... lots.

I'm really sorry for all the trouble I've caused. I hope you'll still treat me like one of the family. I think that I need to work on getting back on track here because I definitely got off.

Thank you, everybody!

You will always be a part of MoFo in my eyes.

A belated happy birthday, SC. I hope you're ok. I've not heard from you in a while. Anyway, it's your birthday, so you get Jake, same as usual.

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
Well, I wasn't entirely proud of all of my reviews, either. I honestly .... kinda wish I had taken a different approach to the whole thing. Perhaps even something less..... wacky.
Guess I better compensate until you get back.

I did the exact same thing I deleted all of my posts in the 13th Hall of Fame thread then immediately regretted it. That thread makes no sense now for like 50 pages and with my deleted posts it would be by far the longest Hall of Fame.
If I deleted all my stuff, I'd miss all the great moments like:

Originally Posted by Captain Steel
"Feeding" each other Reps feels kinda gay.
Originally Posted by Omnizoa
Just don't rep your own alternate accounts, that's how you breed in weakness.
Look at that. You can't put a price on that. Boom, labor theory of value refuted. Take that, Proudhon!