Daniel M's Top 100 - 2014

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Tropical Malady has to be my favourite.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Except for when you are. I've seen Uncle Boonmee before any other Weerasethakul and loved it. :P
But you're Minio, can we really expect you to not like a movie containing fish orgasms? I say that because I find Uncle Boonmee highly self-reflexive and draws upon his other films heavily.

I think Uncle Boonmee is the most accessible of Apichatpong's films, but not his best. Syndromes and a Century is a more cohesive film stylistically. I have not seen Mekong Hotel though.
I've seen Mekong Hotel, and it's safe to say that it's certainly not his most accessible work, and I'm not sure about most cohesive. It was pretty inscrutable to me, possibly a highly political work, but I'd have to see it again with more background to know for sure

Unforgiven is still the best western of the modern era; though, Open Range, 3:10 to Yuma and True Grit all gave it a run for it's money.

Stanley Kubrick is often criticised for being a cold and distant director, something which I have never agreed with and a statement that is surely completely disproved with one this film, one of the most human and touching war films of all time. Considering its one of his first ever films, Kubrick shows maturity and confidence in his own directing well beyond his age, you can already tell you are watching a master behind the camera, and there is probably nothing in this film that could really be improved. A great commentary on the hypocrisy of the war and the challenges soldiers face, with one of the most heart wrenching endings ever filmed.
Couldn't have described it better myself. Masterpiece!

Unforgiven is still the best western of the modern era; though, Open Range, 3:10 to Yuma and True Grit all gave it a run for it's money.

Couldn't have described it better myself. Masterpiece!
I like those two a lot, I haven't seen the other. From the 21st century I also love The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada.

Unforgiven is one of my favorite movies even though I'm not a big Western fan. It's a masterpiece in my mind.

I loved Stroszek enough to where I considered putting it on my 70's list.

I'll probably be watching Paths of Glory within the next couple weeks and I'm really looking forward to it.

Haven't seen the short.

Unforgiven is Eastwood's crowning achievement. One of my favorite films of all-time and an excellent deconstruction of the western myth.

Uncle Boonmee has been on my queue for awhile. After learning of a fish-sex scene, I think I might have to bump it up to the top of my watch list.

La Jetée is coming on Turner Classic Movies sometime in the next week or so. I've got it set to record. Very much looking forward to it.

Paths of Glory is an excellent movie. I've only seen it once, but I could easily see it becoming a favorite after multiple viewings.

Stroszek was on my 70's list. It's my favorite non-Kinski-starring Herzog film.

La Jetée is my favorite French movie.
I have it at 135th on my list of French films

I need to rewatch it so glad it's in the Shorts HoF list. I think I'll probably appreciate it more now.

A masterclass in acting with one of the greatest performances of all time from Marlon Brando and great performances too from the supporting cast, especially Eva Marie Saint in her big screen debut. There is an interesting video on what is the correct aspect ratio for the film, the photography is superb, capturing an epic feel with its sometimes grand black and white cinematography capturing the docks, and at other times capturing the intimate and personal nature of the tale, in particular Marlon Brando's character and his relationship that make for a heartfelt and powerful 'underdog' story.
One of the greatest horrors ever made and one of the films that I have watched the most, mainly because it is a family favourite too, with it being my step-brothers favourite film, he always wants to watch it when he comes round. Oh how I wish I was around when this was released, the film has a fantastic demonic story (the greatest of its kind), with a fantastic adapted screenplay, providing plenty of suspense and genuine horror. The direction is spot on, and the effects are brilliant and startling today.
I like the three Monty Python feature films about equal, and on another day I could have chosen another film to represent them on my list. I find their films hilarious, and love their satire as they use history, politics and religion for many laughs. I don't know what else I can say really?
A haunting three hour epic, a maddening journey that we share with Martin Sheen as he ventures into the heart of darkness. The atmosphere is superb, and from the opening sequence with 'This Is The End' playing, I knew I was going to love the film. The storytelling is ambitious and complex, sometimes a little messy, but I think it works well in representing the madness how it wants to, I find the ending fantastic and love Marlon Brando's small time on screen.
Another Humphery Bogart noir, this film has a much more complex plot (and was the inspiration for The Big Lebowski) handled very confidetly, so much packed into under two hours. Bogart and Bacall are perfect together, a match made in heaven that suits the story as if they were made for it. The dialogue is crisp and memorable as all Chandler adaptations I seen have been, brilliant photographed and filled with both surprise and suspense, a film that I could see rising much higher if I watch it again.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
On the Waterfront is in my top 20 and is one of my favorite 50s films of all time. Apocalypse Now is probably close in my list to where it is in yours. Its a really well made film. I'm not a Month fan though I haven't seen it in a long time. The other two I have not seen yet.

Haven't seen The Big Sleep, but the others are all very good movies. The Exorcist is an absolute masterpiece.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
This looks like your version of the mafo MoFo Top 100. I think I'll call it the Damo MoFo Top 100. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for all the kind comments guys I know some of these films might surprise you with their rankings, but most of them are interchangeable within reason, and I think these all deserve to be called 'great movies'

This looks like your version of the mafo MoFo Top 100. I think I'll call it the Damo MoFo Top 100. Keep up the good work!
Damo, I like it I knew you'd enjoy that set, you know there will be a few more anti-Mark ( ) choices later on, but I think this is quite a well rounded, honest list, I'm not completely lost to the dark side yet

Haven't seen The Big Sleep but I like all the others - and I LOVE Apocalypse Now. Keep 'em coming