17th MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

@Miss Vicky

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

I was glad this was nominated as I considered it an old favorite. I hadn't seen it in about fifteen years but I have seen it several times. I wasn't sure back then, and I'm not sure now which I like better between this and Snatch. As far as I'm concerned, they are the only two films from director Guy Ritchie that are worth a damn.

I wasn't certain I'd have the same love for it now, and while it's about a half a popcorn less than I remember, it's still a hell of a lot of fun. It's not as violent as I remember, but it is just as funny with the same great characters. My favorite is Rory Breaker, although his sour milk line is quite different than I remembered it. I was so sure it was different that I spent about a half an hour searching for different versions or cuts. I guess I was just wrong but it's still a great line. The soundtrack is awesome. Anyway, it's still a great movie after all these years. One thing I always wondered; shouldn't there be a comma after Stock?

One thing I always wondered; shouldn't there be a comma after Stock?
Yes and no. Technically either way is okay grammatically speaking, but IMO it makes more sense to use an Oxford comma. The omission of the Oxford comma has gotten some companies into legal problems in regards to the wording of contracts and such, but in this case I don't think it really matters.

I chose to list the title without it because that's how it's listed on IMDb, but it does bug me.

Let the Right One In (2008) *spoilers*

I didn't care for this, I found it pretty mediocre...Basically a kid's romance story with some B movie vampire attack scenes. I don't like horror films, especially when they don't develop the characters or reveal something that engages me. I didn't hate this movie, but it was like eating a frozen TV dinner, nothing that I looked forward to and I was glad when it was over.

The only scene that interested me was the older lady who survives an attack and becomes a vampire. I liked the way she was confused by what was happening to her and how she didn't want to live like that. That scene especially in the hospital evoked some emotion from me...The CG cat attack and bursting into flames were the two best visuals in the movie.

The blonde boy was boring, another actor might have gave the movie some more depth. The girl was good, but I was disappointment that the film didn't explore her life more. I mean it's hinted at that she's very different, she even says twice she's not a girl...and also says she's been 12 for a long time, but we never really get much more than surface material and I wanted to know more about her.

I was sure the film in the later half would give us more backstory on her while building sympathy for her, instead we just get a silly blood licking off the floor scene, and the body parts floating in the swimming pool were kind of funny... but was it suppose to be funny?

I was also hoping the boy might learn how to stand up for himself from the vampire girl (he does once on the lake) and I thought by the end his character would be self aware and self reliant. Then at the end the girl would confide in him the misery of her own life and ask him to be strong enough to end it for her. That would've been memorable. As it was, nothing in this film will stay with me.

The Innocents (1961)
Directed By: Jack Clayton
Starring: Deborah Kerr, Pamela Franklin, Martin Stephens

The Innocents manages to establish a haunting atmosphere before the opening credits roll, with a child's voice singing over a pitch black screen. That mood carries through the rest of the film, amplifying in intensity at times, and never truly subsiding completely. Despite being set in a house with large, lush grounds, there is a feeling of claustrophobia hanging over the film, which cleverly mirrors the isolation caused by the estate's rural location and the intimate proximity of those living there.

Many scenes had blackened edges, causing darkness to surround and occasionally start to suffocate the main character. Figures often felt unbalanced on the screen, which worked incredibly well with the film's more psychological elements. Stylized lighting helped create a beautiful but creepy aesthetic, and the frequent use of strange background noises or whispering voices perfectly complemented the film's eerie tone.

This is exactly the type of supernatural horror that I enjoy to watch. The story lends itself well to a number of different interpretations, so the film's ambiguity is greatly appreciated. Even if it had definitively decided for us which aspects were real, I would only be slightly disappointed since the whole of the film was incredibly well executed. The performances were exactly what they needed to be, with Deborah Kerr doing a phenomenal job drawing me in and engaging me with her character, even if she did sometimes look a little old to be a young governess.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Innocents.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	48836  

I forgot to tag Miss Vicky again. I'll have to start adding the tag to the documents I type my reviews in before I copy them over, since apparently I can't be trusted to add it before posting.

It's weird how @Citizen Rules and me seem to agree on so many things (some of his posts genuinely feel like I could have written them) but yet our movie tastes differ so drastically
It's testimony to how unique and individual every person truly is. I've thought the same about other MoFo's...I've thought some member's movie viewpoints were very similar to mine, but then a film comes up where we are 180 degrees off.

It's testimony to how unique and individual every person truly is. I've thought the same about other MoFo's...I've thought some member's movie viewpoints were very similar to mine, but then a film comes up where we are 180 degrees off.
We have different taste in movies for about 60% of the time but we get along great and have no problems when we disagree...

Warning: Spoilers for The Innocents below.

I have a different take...I think the script suggest that the children were victims of sexual abuse, especially the male valet seems to have molested the boy, which then causes the boy to act out at school in a way that gets him labeled as corrupting the other boys. Then it seems the governess who has an over active imagination and is from a religious home, can't handle the truth of the child molestation and so invents in her head an alternative answer that involves the dead possessing the children.
I thought it was more so coarse language and violence learned from how abusive Quint was with Miss Jessel. Miles did admit that he would hurt animals, and their cries of pain upset the other boys. The children having likely witnessed Quint and Jessel having sex could've caused Miles to bring up taboo subjects, which would explain why the school teachers thought he was "corrupting" the other children.

He did often act more mature around Miss Giddens, and that kiss he gave her didn't exactly seem platonic judging by her reaction (though she could've been projecting). His violent streak and adult behaviour made him seem like a psychopath in the making, which could easily be interpreted by Giddens as being the influence of evil spirits. After all, she does have a religious background, and both mental health issues and any form of sexuality displayed by minors was often attributed to possession.

I was going to wait until after I had gotten some sleep, but there's still too much adrenaline going through me from the concert so I'm doing this now:

@CitizenRules
@CosmicRunaway
@cricket
@edarsenal
@HashtagBrownies
@Luis
@MijaFrost
@Nathaniel
@neiba
@pahaK
@rauldc14
@Siddon
@TheUsualSuspect

Jay Redrum failed to check in, despite several mentions and two private messages. He and his nomination are now disqualified from this Hall of Fame. I have sent him a PM notifying him of his disqualification.

If you have not yet watched The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, you are no longer required to do so. If you have watched it already, it should not be included when you submit your ballot.

The deadline for viewing and voting remains midnight Pacific Time on the night of Saturday, December 29th.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I agree with cricket, raul, there's a very good chance you'd enjoy it.

A real shame Jay's nom is disqualified, THANKS @Miss Vicky for giving us all the heads up!

I've seen The Aviator and simply need to write it up.

Amélie (2001) *spoilers*

Loved it! It brought a smile to my face that lasted two hours...now my face hurts, ha. But that's OK because any movie that can make me happy, make me laugh and impress me with it's quirky cleverness, then that movie is worth a few sore facial muscles.

Amélie, did all that for me and more! It entertained me and wowed me with it's beautifully detailed and colorful world in which our heroine lives. I loved the sets, the vibrant colors, the fluidly artistic camera work and even the music score too. So many details are packed into this movie that I can't even begin to recall them all.

So I'll just say I loved the way this film built an alternative world where this charming young Parisian woman lives life like she wants to. And, she's a good person who does good, even when she's being naughty...and it has a romantic happy ending too. What more could I want from a film!

Count me as a fan of
Amélie.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Gosh, I hope you just didn't read my review. I'm soooo tired that it had some glaring grammar problems. But it's OK now, I think I got em fixed.
only a few minor ones that I easily skimmed past, understanding what you meant to say and enjoying the fact that you enjoyed it as much as you did to care