VHS comedy era comedy Hall of fame III (1977-1989)

Tools    

The trick is not minding
What were the noms again? I swear I can't remember now....Does anybody know when the official deadline is?
There was never an official deadline, as far as I can recall. He put it between January 15-31st I think? Plenty of time still, if correct.
I’m just a anxious to see how my picks did, and who won.

There was never an official deadline, as far as I can recall. He put it between January 15-31st I think? Plenty of time still, if correct.
One more week I guess? Yeah I'm curious too as to the results. I can't really guess which movie was a favorite. I could probably guess which movie has the least points

The trick is not minding
One more week I guess? Yeah I'm curious too as to the results. I can't really guess which movie was a favorite. I could probably guess which movie has the least points
I’m sticking with this prediction for the top 4, based on the reviews. Please note this does not reflect my voting:
1. The Princess Bride
2.) Annie Hall
3. Who framed Roger Rabbit?
4. Back to the Future

I’m sticking with this prediction for the top 4, based on the reviews. Please note this does not reflect my voting:
1. The Princess Bride
2.) Annie Hall
4. Back to the Future
You must've nominated The Princess Bride as I don't see it coming in that high. I'd say Roger Rabbit will be #1 I mean did anybody hate it? I don't think so.

Annie Hall for the win! (Both my favorite and my prediction).

The trick is not minding
1. The Princess Bride
2.) Annie Hall
4. Back to the Future
You must've nominated The Princess Bride as I don't see it coming in that high. I'd say Roger Rabbit will be #1 I mean did anybody hate it? I don't think so.
Nope. 😏
I’m pretty sure Gbgoodies nominated Princess Bride.
My picks didn’t seem to fair that well here

Nope. 😏
Then I'm not sure what you nominated, but I'll try to take a guess soon. I'm just so tired right now, my brain ain't working

The trick is not minding
Nope. 😏
Then I'm not sure what you nominated, but I'll try to take a guess soon. I'm just so tired right now, my brain ain't working
I k ow the feeling. Work is still hectic here, and I’m tired from it. Have to go in tomorrow.
No one should have to work on a Saturday 🤨

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I k ow the feeling. Work is still hectic here, and I’m tired from it. Have to go in tomorrow.
No one should have to work on a Saturday 🤨
AMEN to that!! I do Saturdays as well

I'm gonna agree with CR, Roger Rabbit SHOULD take this. Though I think Princess will be in the top 3-4.

What were the noms again? I swear I can't remember now....Does anybody know when the official deadline is?

A week after the Japanese one....my goal is to finish all four Hall's this weekend.

What I had been doing was working down each one of the Halls till I had one nom left..

Japanese 7/8
VHS 13/14
Western 7/8
21st 6/10

The trick is not minding

A week after the Japanese one....my goal is to finish all four Hall's this weekend.

What I had been doing was working down each one of the Halls till I had one nom left..

Japanese 7/8
VHS 13/14
Western 7/8
21st 6/10
That’s...actually a good plan of attacking these. I may steal that idea from you...borrow I mean.

It's funny how we're talking about 1-4...when the 5th film on the list might get my and Ed's #1 pick(it likely won't).

Anyone want to guess how the Steve Martin films finished?

I think Annie Hall wins. That was my guess when the reveals were released and it hasn't changed. Roger Rabbit might give it a run though. I'd be surprised if any Steve Martin movie cracks the top half.

It's funny how we're talking about 1-4...when the 5th film on the list might get my and Ed's #1 pick(it likely won't).

I think Jerk scored pretty low
with Scoundrels in the lower mid range
and Parenthood and Planes, Trains etc in the upper mid range with Parenthood scoring higher of the two

Back to the Future is a film that in many ways transcends genre, it tells the story of Marty and Doc Brown. In 1985 Doc Brown is murdered by Libyans, Marty then goes back to 1955 where he gets stuck there, by accident he also breaks up his parents first meet. Now Marty has to get his parents back together and then get back to the future.

Now if I'm judging the film as a whole it's a five star film, everything looks good it has both an incredible score and soundtrack. The story moves along at a brisk pace and never feels drawn out. I really have no critiques for anything in this film...however this is a comedy hall of fame.

As no point during the entire run-time of the film did I laugh, perhaps it's me I've seen the film too many times and jokes can get stale, but on the other hand it could be said comedy is just a feature to the film, that's it's more a science fiction film or an adventure film or a romance film.

Well that does it for me, that's 3 Hall of Fames finished in 24 hours.

I'm still going to post my guesses at the final outcome but will wait tell we're done with the watching phase. I'll also try to guess who nominated what, I'm pretty sure on some movies.

The trick is not minding

I think Jerk scored pretty low
with Scoundrels in the lower mid range
and Parenthood and Planes, Trains etc in the upper mid range with Parenthood scoring higher of the two
That’s my guess as well

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

[waking up after sharing the same bed on the motel]
Neal: Del... Why did you kiss my ear?
Del: Why are you holding my hand?
Neal: [frowns] Where's your other hand?
Del: Between two pillows...
Neal: Those aren't pillows!
[they both leap out of bed, screaming and shaking their hands in disgust]

I remember being kinda so-so with this when it first came out. Don't remember why I felt that way, I just did.

This time around. . . rather enjoyed it. Definitely much more than I once did.
Chuckled quite a bit and found Candy's character kind of endearing actually. Kind of makes me wonder how much of that inner John Candy was brought out for Del.

Steve Martin does very well as the "straight man". His frustrations and outrage is very palpable and you really feel for the guy as every nightmare horror of Holiday traveling is brought to life.
Like his long-@ss walk back from the rental parking lot TO the rental desk where he spouts the only swearing involved in the movie. The amount making up for the rest of the time. And, of course, Edie McClurg was PERFECT for the Agent who ends it with telling him, "I guess you're f@cked."

Hughes does well bringing comedy to characters that appear very cliched, but end up with far more emotional depth. We get to see that as Neal and Del's adventure gets worse and worse and worse. And somehow, somehow, their friendship grows by the end of it.