2019 Movie Challenge

Tools    

Also answers to Jabba
You asked for it, so you got it! A new version of the movie challenge for 2019. There are quite a few changes from the previous edition as we move away from traditional categories such as genre and attempt to explore world cinema and various cinematic movements.

As always, the goal is to widen your horizons by watching new films that will make you step out of your comfort zone. If you need any assistance or explanation feel free to ask.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Note:
How you count films is up to you. This is not a contest and it is up to each and every one to decide how they want to do this. I would suggest going for one film per category either in the main challenge or in nightmare mode, but that's just me.

Have fun watching films!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Impossibru peruvertu mode: Watch 100 pink films.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Welcome to the human race...
Since I prefer to do first-time watches, the only problem I have with the new categories is that I've already seen 94 titles off AFI's Top 100 so I'm definitely going to end up doing re-watches and I'd rather not if I can help it. Still, I guess it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things if I'm already planning on watching at least 160 new movies if I go for the whole challenge.

Also answers to Jabba
Since I prefer to do first-time watches, the only problem I have with the new categories is that I've already seen 94 titles off AFI's Top 100 so I'm definitely going to end up doing re-watches and I'd rather not if I can help it. Still, I guess it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things if I'm already planning on watching at least 160 new movies if I go for the whole challenge.
First of all good job on the AFI list! Secondly, perhaps you can fill in the other 4 from the list's previous edition.

Hmm, good point. I'm working off the version that's able to be filled out on this site so I'll look into any alternate versions.

Also answers to Jabba
Hmm, good point. I'm working off the version that's able to be filled out on this site so I'll look into any alternate versions.

The one on MoFo is the 10th anniversary edition. There is also the original list from 1998.

It's 123 films with both lists, I've seen 121 of them so I guess I'll finally watch Doctor Zhivago and Swing Time.

But 8 re-watches from that list over a year is nothing

Per Jabs' suggestion, I looked over the other version and did find another four I hadn't watched (or at least don't think I've watched from start to finish). I wouldn't be 100% averse to re-watches (obviously doesn't hurt to re-evaluate films you didn't respond positively to the first time around), but I just figure the point of a challenge like this is to expand your horizons and also focus your film-watching picks so I'll aim for new watches wherever possible.

Per Jabs' suggestion, I looked over the other version and did find another four I hadn't watched (or at least don't think I've watched from start to finish). I wouldn't be 100% averse to re-watches (obviously doesn't hurt to re-evaluate films you didn't respond positively to the first time around), but I just figure the point of a challenge like this is to expand your horizons and also focus your film-watching picks so I'll aim for new watches wherever possible.

True but I don't think that's possible for someone like me who's seen almost everything.

One of the more rewarding things I did in 2018 was going to the theater to see a bunch of re-released classics (Raiders of the Lost Ark, Halloween, Shining, 2001 A Space Odyssey)

I'll use this post to keep track.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

So if I could get a comprehensive list of these "types" of films I would appreciate it.

19. a LA Rebellion film [NEW]
21. a Dogme 95 film [NEW]
23. a New Queer Cinema film [NEW]
24. a Hyperlink cinema film [NEW]

I looked them up on Wikipedia and the articles provide considerable lists of prominent examples.

Going through dozens of articles to find something rentable takes a considerable amount of time.

Also answers to Jabba
@Siddon Dogme 95 is the simplest one of all as there are only 35 films that belong to the movement. link

As for the rest, googling the term and looking up wikipedia provides many notable films, as was already pointed out.

Links:
LA Rebellion
New Queer Cinema
Hyperlink Cinema

Please note that I am as much in the dark about some of these as you are. I just thought it would be interesting to explore stuff like that together. Perhaps we can find a movement we are really drawn to.

O.k... here is my post to keep track.

I am only going to allow a movie to count for a single category number and I am going to keep the dates on there (kind of like a movie diary).

My List  

Challenge  

Nightmare mode