🌟 Star Trek, TOS 🌟

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Wrong thread, (but for the like-minded) -

Was watching Lost in Space on ME-TV the other night and this scene came on:
Will and Judy singing "Sloop John B." I don't remember ever seeing this before.
The amazing thing is how good they sounded and how well they harmonized, also unusual was that Will and Judy rarely had too many scenes together with just the two of them. I had no idea that Billy (only a young teenager at the time) and Marta could sing so well! Allegedly Billy is doing the actual guitar playing. The video, btw, is flipped (like a mirror image) from the way it appeared on TV (perhaps for copyright purposes?)

Hubby and I were watching some episodes of "Lost in Space" on ME-TV a while back, but it didn't stand the test of time for us, so we gave up before they got to the color episodes. (But we have the whole series on DVD if we ever want to give it another chance.)

I've heard Billy Mumy sing, but I didn't remember him ever singing on the show.

Here's a funny story about him. I saw him at a convention many years ago, and I took a picture with him. When my father saw the picture, he asked me when I saw my cousin Steve. I didn't even know that I had a cousin Steve, but apparently he looks exactly like Billy Mumy.

What Rules didn't tell you (and which may make you really want to see it) is Adam West has a small part in the movie!

Yeah, that'll bump it up a bit on my watchlist. I think Adam West was a better actor than most people realize. He took a bit of heat for his goofy "Batman" role, but he was good in a lot of other stuff he did. I loved him as himself on "The Big Bang Theory".

Hubby and I were watching some episodes of "Lost in Space" on ME-TV a while back, but it didn't stand the test of time for us, so we gave up before they got to the color episodes. (But we have the whole series on DVD if we ever want to give it another chance.)

I've heard Billy Mumy sing, but I didn't remember him ever singing on the show.

Here's a funny story about him. I saw him at a convention many years ago, and I took a picture with him. When my father saw the picture, he asked me when I saw my cousin Steve. I didn't even know that I had a cousin Steve, but apparently he looks exactly like Billy Mumy.
That's funny!

I never heard him sing on the show before either so this was a first.
Now I have to wonder if he and Marta ever performed this again at a convention (if anyone knows, let us know!)

As to the show holding up, I know what you mean.

I watch it out of nostalgia, but just like when I was a kid I find myself getting frustrated at the formulaic nature of the show = Dr. Smith gets them in trouble, lies about it, they solve the problem and forgive Smith (except for Don, of course) virtually every episode.

I think I liked the earlier, black & white episodes better - they had a slightly more serious tone and Smith was more of a villain than comic relief.

The episode this clip was from was pretty awful: the robot gets drunk (funny, but since when do robots drink?). There's a clunky story about a mute "ice princess" being hunted by a silver-skinned, (politically incorrect) Mexican alien bandit (???) whose thick accent is interlaced with Spanish (aliens speak Spanish and English with a Spanish accent?)

But the song at the beginning made it worth while - John, Maureen & Penny are absent (off in the chariot and only appear at the end) as Will, Judy, Don, Smith & the Robot are camping out (thus the campfire).

That's funny!

I never heard him sing on the show before either so this was a first.
Now I have to wonder if he and Marta ever performed this again at a convention (if anyone knows, let us know!)

As to the show holding up, I know what you mean.

I watch it out of nostalgia, but just like when I was a kid I find myself getting frustrated at the formulaic nature of the show = Dr. Smith gets them in trouble, lies about it, they solve the problem and forgive Smith (except for Don, of course) virtually every episode.

I think I liked the earlier, black & white episodes better - they had a slightly more serious tone and Smith was more of a villain than comic relief.

The episode this clip was from was pretty awful: the robot gets drunk (funny, but since when do robots drink?). There's a clunky story about a mute "ice princess" being hunted by a silver-skinned, (politically incorrect) Mexican alien bandit (???) whose thick accent is interlaced with Spanish (aliens speak Spanish and English with a Spanish accent?)

But the song at the beginning made it worth while - John, Maureen & Penny are absent (off in the chariot and only appear at the end) as Will, Judy, Don, Smith & the Robot are camping out (thus the campfire).

I never understood why they didn't just leave Dr. Smith behind somewhere. He was self-centered, and he was always the reason that the rest of them were in danger. But for some reason, they still helped Smith every time he got in trouble.

I never understood why they didn't just leave Dr. Smith behind somewhere. He was self-centered, and he was always the reason that the rest of them were in danger. But for some reason, they still helped Smith every time he got in trouble.
I had the same feeling as a kid!
I was always on Don's side - I was like "leave Smith behind and get onto some good sci-fi adventures like on Star Trek!"

Just coincidence: I heard Billy Mumy on the radio recently and he was recounting his appearance on an episode of Alfred Hitchcock - it was one where he, as a little boy, found a real gun that he thought was a toy and the people try to get the gun away from him before he shoots someone (kind of a story that still resonates today). I caught the very end of this episode one night and was mad that I missed most of it.

Anyway Billy said Hitchcock terrified him. He was supposed to stand on his mark as the adults kept discussing how to shoot a scene - being a kid, he was antsy and kept stepping off the mark and trying to walk around or leave the set altogether.
Alfred, who didn't especially like kids, finally grabbed Billy by the shoulders, shook him, and in his slobbering English accent threatened to do something awful to him if he stepped off his mark again. Billy said something to the extent of, "I was terrified of that guy - not because he was supposed to be this King of horror, I didn't know anything about that at that age, but just because he was this angry, fat, mean old man!"

I had the same feeling as a kid!
I was always on Don's side - I was like "leave Smith behind and get onto some good sci-fi adventures like on Star Trek!"

Just coincidence: I heard Billy Mumy on the radio recently and he was recounting his appearance on an episode of Alfred Hitchcock - it was one where he, as a little boy, found a real gun that he thought was a toy and the people try to get the gun away from him before he shoots someone (kind of a story that still resonates today). I caught the very end of this episode one night and was mad that I missed most of it.

Anyway Billy said Hitchcock terrified him. He was supposed to stand on his mark as the adults kept discussing how to shoot a scene - being a kid, he was antsy and kept stepping off the mark and trying to walk around or leave the set altogether.
Alfred, who didn't especially like kids, finally grabbed Billy by the shoulders, shook him, and in his slobbering English accent threatened to do something awful to him if he stepped off his mark again. Billy said something to the extent of, "I was terrified of that guy - not because he was supposed to be this King of horror, I didn't know anything about that at that age, but just because he was this angry, fat, mean old man!"

I remember that Hitchcock episode. I think it was called something like "Bang, You're Dead" because Billy walked around aiming the gun at people and pretending to shoot it. (He was adorable when he was that little.)

I've heard that Hitchcock wasn't good with kids, but I don't think I've heard any specific stories about him with kids. I saw Billy Mumy at conventions a few times, but he didn't talk much about his Hitchcock episodes. I guess now I know why.

Morgan Woodward! Love this guy. He appeared in probably every TV Western show there was, especially Gunsmoke and Bonanza, numerous times as different characters. But here is what I think of when I hear his name. Boss Godfrey in Cool Hand Luke or as Dragline (George Kennedy) calls him, "The Man with No Eyes."

On Star Trek, I think I liked his role as van Gelder the best of his two episodes, just because, yeah, he was bonkers for most of the episode but he was really a good guy in a bad situation, which for me, was rare to see him in. Always gave his all in whatever role he was in.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.

Oh, the pain, the pain.

Morgan Woodward! Love this guy. He appeared in probably every TV Western show there was, especially Gunsmoke and Bonanza, numerous times as different characters. But here is what I think of when I hear his name. Boss Godfrey in Cool Hand Luke or as Dragline (George Kennedy) calls him, "The Man with No Eyes."

On Star Trek, I think I liked his role as van Gelder the best of his two episodes, just because, yeah, he was bonkers for most of the episode but he was really a good guy in a bad situation, which for me, was rare to see him in. Always gave his all in whatever role he was in.

He also played Punk Anderson in the TV show Dallas.

Punk Anderson and Major Anthony Nelson Ewing

A little too easy:
1. The Priceline commercial guy formerly known as TJ Hooker
2. Father Know's Best Oldest Daughter: "Princess"
3. That guy from Babylon 5
4. "Oh MY!"

George was on a show talking about his memoir.

In memory of James Doohan

March 3, 1920 - July 20, 2005

Scotch... Now there's a drink for a man.

Very nice tribute. Made me very nostalgic. Seems fitting since this was the anniversary weekend of man's first walk on the Moon.

That's one of my all time favorite actresses, Terri Garr. She was in Assignment Earth. Not sure who the actor is. He looks like the red shirt that was transformed into a mineral cube by the evil Kelvins, but later restored. I forget the name of the episode, it's the one where Kirk kisses the hot alien chick

That's one of my all time favorite actresses, Terri Garr. She was in Assignment Earth. Not sure who the actor is. He looks like the red shirt that was transformed into a mineral cube by the evil Kelvins, but later restored. I forget the name of the episode, it's the one where Kirk kisses the hot alien chick
Correct on both.

Teri Garr as Roberta Lincoln

Assignment: Earth

Carl Byrd as Lt. Shea

By Any Other Name

I know that guy from Star Trek (but not sure which episode). The weird thing is I could hear his voice in my head as soon as I saw his picture, kind of a gravelly, raspy voice, but not low, more on the high pitched side.

Don't know about the girl in the photo.

I don't know who the girl is, but I'm pretty sure the guy is Ken Lynch from the episode "Devil in the Dark". (He was also in a few episodes of "The Dick Van Dyke Show".)