Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Black Oxen (Frank Lloyd, 1923)

How appropriate is the title for what is now sadly an incomplete film

Safety Last! (Fred C. Newmeyer & Sam Taylor, 1923)

That marvellously staged ascent still makes my palms sweat every time

Unregistered User
Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas - 5/10
I saw this almost twenty years ago, and its still muddled and a bit chaotic and crazy. The funny parts were the one or two word responses.

Snooze factor = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Unregistered User

Thelma (2017)

A tad disappointed with this. I found faults with the pace, much too slow in parts leading it to drag in places. I didn't particularly like the telekinetic element of it all although some of the resulting scenes were good. It just felt to me like a missed opportunity, it could have been much darker and harrowing, which could have made it better for me anyway. Beautifully shot nonetheless.

White Material (2009)

Don't normally post about rewatches but compelled to do so with this one. I'll have to explore more from Claire Denis as I like what I've watched so far. Same goes with Huppert, who is an absolute star.

Weekend Re-watches:

2nd Re-watch...The ending was different than I remember, but this razor-sharp dig at the Hollywood machine is still my favorite entry from the Christopher Guest rep company. A near brilliant screenplay with the company at the top of their game, with a standout Oscar-worthy performance from Catherine O'Hara. I must have been hallucinating the last time I saw this because for some reason, the last time I watched this, both Marilyn Hack (O'Hara) and Victor Allan Miller (Harry Shearer) received Oscar nominations and Victor actually won but none of that happened when I watched this time. I think I'm losing my mind, but it's still a fantastic movie.

1st Re-watch...one of the creepiest movies ever made, made the top 10 of My Most Disturbing Movie Experiences list...this movie has me cursing at the screen and keeps my stomach at knots. Dan Gilroy's direction is top-notch and Jake Gyllenhaal gives the bone-chilling performance of his career as techno geek/two bit hustler/sociopath Louis Bloom. And as I mentioned in my full review of this film, it still leaves a really bad taste in my mouth, but it's a riveting film.

Huppert, who is an absolute star.
I think I've only seen her in The Piano Teacher, which is a tough watch but good.

Unregistered User
I think I've only seen her in The Piano Teacher, which is a tough watch but good.

Piano Teacher is a great movie and probably one of my favourite of hers. Also really liked Coup de Torchon, Time of The Wolf and Elle, which is pretty dark.

Cant actually think of a film of hers that I haven't enjoyed.

the limits of control - 2009

this is not the typical action assassination movie genre
when we talk about that genre we expect action, violence, sexuality, linear-easy plot
nothing of that was really there, only implicit, that made it difficult to understand
we could still see his expression of love for architecture, culture and music
jarmusch later said that this was an experiment, maybe i'll give him more value later on

Point Blank (2019)

If you expect a "small" film this is OK. If you expect anything more you'll be disappointed. Unlike Grillo's earlier film "Wheelman" it tries to cover too many bases and doesn't keep it quite as sharp. That was more than a TV movie, this (apart from the cursing)is a TV movie. Expected slightly more with Mackie in it but watcheable.

A tad disappointed with this. I found faults with the pace, much too slow in parts leading it to drag in places. I didn't particularly like the telekinetic element of it all although some of the resulting scenes were good. It just felt to me like a missed opportunity, it could have been much darker and harrowing, which could have made it better for me anyway. Beautifully shot nonetheless.

Don't normally post about rewatches but compelled to do so with this one. I'll have to explore more from Claire Denis as I like what I've watched so far. Same goes with Huppert, who is an absolute star.
I know I have seen Thelma, but, literally cannot remember a single scene.

I like Huppert a lot too. I sometimes wish she weren’t in so very many movies, but the French are very loyal to their stars. Catherine Deneuve is another one who, maybe, has had too many starring rôles.

Re-watch. Don’t ask me for a plot synopsis, but I enjoyed it. Naomi Watts very good.

A sweet poignant classic of Italian cinema. Re-watch.

Gattaca (1997)

Going into this, I thought the premise was great and the cast was solid to back it up. However, it's lacking some special element to make it a superb movie. I enjoyed it, but I don't think I'll ever rewatch it, and I don't think anyone with no interest in the subject matter would find it too appealing either.
When I first saw it, I think in the late Nineties, it depressed me to the point at which I had to turn it off within about twenty minutes . I did eventually get past that and watched the whole film, which as you say is okay. The title sequence won an award I remember.

Lucky Break (Peter Cattaneo, 2001)
+
Watchable but hardly the finest piece of escapism ever put to film

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Escaflowne (2000) - Rewatch on Blu-ray

Still amazing. I can't believe there are so many fans of The Vision of Escaflowne who dislike this film so much. I genuinely loved both and personally, I'd put them on equal footing. Sure, the story has changed somewhat to fit inside of a 100-minute film and sure, the character designs have also changed somewhat, but it's still Escaflowne, these characters are still Escaflowne's characters, and the main players, Hitomi and Van, still look very much like their series counterparts. It also still deals with many of the same themes the series did, namely that no one necessarily has to be alone. The animation is also stunning and it looks incredible on the 1080p transfer, though window boxed and presented in an unusual aspect ratio of 1.81:1 which deviates somewhat from the film's original aspect ratio of 1.85:1. The legendary Yoko Kanno also returns to this retelling with a haunting musical score, including the iconic Escaflowne chant, a more gothic Escaflowne chant, a haunting village chant, and two more chants in a fictional language she created just for the film. So just for craps and giggles, I watched it back-to-back with each dub, first the 2002 Ocean dub and then the 2016 Funimation redub. The Ocean dub is a decent dub and English-speaking InuYasha fans (among whom I am numbered) will probably enjoy it with how many voice actors the Ocean dub shares with InuYasha, but there's no doubt that the Funimation dub is better. Both are pretty well-acted, but the Funimation dub is even more so. Kelly Sheridan, who many will remember as Ukyo Kuonji in Ranma ½ and Sango in InuYasha, is pretty good as Hitomi, but Caitlin Glass, who has voiced such characters as Haruhi Fujioka in Ouran High School Host Club, Maya Ibuki in Evangelion, and Winry Rockbell in Fullmetal Alchemist, just nails it. The Hitomi Kanzaki we meet here is admittedly different from what she was in the series. The series' cheerful 15-year-old who was in love is now a depressed and world-weary 17-year-old who feels completely alone and feels like she simply wants to fade away and Glass does a better job of conveying this. Kirby Morrow, who many will remember as Miroku in InuYasha, and Aaron Dismuke, who has been dubbing anime ever since he was a kid and who many will remember as Alphonse Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist, are both excellent as Van, the king whose brother obliterated his kingdom while Vic Mignogna, who many will remember as Tamaki Suoh in Ouran High School Host Club, Kurz Weber in Full Metal Panic!, and Edward Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist, is, surprisingly, considerably better as Folken, the brother in question, than Paul Dobson, who many will remember as Happosai in Ranma ½ and the Satan-like big bad himself Naraku in InuYasha. Dobson just uses the same voice he used for Naraku and it doesn't really work because Folken is a more complex character who, as it turns out, isn't quite pure evil like Naraku is. Mignogna's take is more three-dimensional and therefore he wins the day here. Sonny Strait is also much better in the Funimation dub as Allen, one of Van's allies, than Brian Drummond while Jocelyn Loewen and Alexis Tipton are pretty much on equal footing as Merle, the anthropomorphic cat girl who is constantly concerned for Van's wellbeing. One area where the Funimation dub really destroys the Ocean dub is the fact the Funimation dub has a far more natural script where the Ocean dub's script is more stilted and awkward which hampers the performances in a few scenes. I mean, just compare the scenes where Hitomi says she wants Van to live and where she refers to herself and Van as kindred spirits. The Funimation dub has so much depth in those two scenes that the old Ocean dub lacks. Another thing hampering the Ocean dub is its sound design. Whoever mixed the Ocean dub back in '02 mixed the dialogue and music much too low. Even though both are presented in Dolby TrueHD 5.1, the Funimation dub sounds much better in both areas. With all that said, I still love Escaflowne. It's a darker and grittier Escaflowne than the series was for sure, but it maintains a sliver of hope and it's a far more rewarding film than it typically gets credit for being.

The Circus (1928)

Loved the first half and liked the second half. For a while it was everything I'd want and expect from Chaplin and a circus, but I thought it became a little less fun as it went on.

The Lion King 2019: 5/10.. ouch

The last great movie I saw was Schindler's List. 10/10

The Mysterious Island b&w mixed vsn (Lucien Hubbard, Benjamin Christensen & Maurice Tourneur, 1929)
+
Finding Nemo, sans animation