TV TRIVIA

Tools    

Good topic @gbgoodies - I was afraid I was running out of tv trivia, but you put me in mind of another director- related question. A very famous director of comedy movies had a recurring role on a sitcom, where he played a lovable but disheveled uncle of one half of a romantic couple.
Can you name the director and the 'rom-com'?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Good topic @gbgoodies - I was afraid I was running out of tv trivia, but you put me in mind of another director- related question. A very famous director of comedy movies had a recurring role on a sitcom, where he played a lovable but disheveled uncle of one half of a romantic couple.
Can you name the director and the 'rom-com'?

My first thought was that the director was probably Gary Marshall, but I couldn't remember him playing anyone's uncle. Then I thought it might be Carl Reiner, but again, I couldn't remember him playing anyone's uncle either.

Then I remembered that Mel Brooks played (I think) Paul's uncle on a few episodes of "Mad About You". (He might have played Jamie's uncle, but I think he was Paul's uncle. I vaguely remember that one of the episodes was about him doing something bad with coupons.)

Great guess @gbgoodies - Mel Brooks played Paul's uncle, and when Paul and his cousin Ira went to visit they were enveloped in Uncle Phil's "firm embrace" I don't remember the coupon sketch but it sounds familiar- maybe I can find it on YouTube. Btw they are talking about making a reprise of Mad About You with Paul and Helen , I liked the first show, but not too sure what I think about a reboot .

Your turn gb.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Great guess @gbgoodies - Mel Brooks played Paul's uncle, and when Paul and his cousin Ira went to visit they were enveloped in Uncle Phil's "firm embrace" I don't remember the coupon sketch but it sounds familiar- maybe I can find it on YouTube. Btw they are talking about making a reprise of Mad About You with Paul and Helen , I liked the first show, but not too sure what I think about a reboot .

Your turn gb.

I think the Thanksgiving episode of "Mad About You" is one of the funniest episodes of any TV show ever. (It's from season 3, and it's called "Giblets for Murray".)

On a side note, I was at a convention in New York City a few years ago, and Kristine Sutherland (Buffy's mother on the TV show "Buffy the Vampire Slayer") was there as a guest signing autographs. John Pankow (Ira on "Mad About You") is married to her, and he wasn't supposed to be there, but he was there with her for several hours meeting fans too. He seems like a very nice person.

Ok, how about an easy question for a change:

What what kind of dog was the dog on the show "Frasier", and was the dog's name on the show?

I didn't watch the show that often, but do remember it was a Jack Russel Terrier. I believe the name was Eddie.

Thanks @Gideon58

What 'cop show' - about two police partners- had three different people playing one of the cops? ( two in the first year)

No- at least, it's not the show I' m thinking of @Gideon58.
The two cops were detectives btw and the first change was made right after the pilot episode.

"Cagney and Lacey." Cagney was played by Loretta Swit in the original television movie, then by Meg Foster and Sharon Gless. Speaking of Sharon Gless, who appeared with her as the lead male character in the TV version of "House Calls?"

You are soooooooo correct @average joe.

I'll leave it to another to guess the Gless (lol) question. Is that your question, joe, or would you like to take another turn- you've earned it.

Also I believe Dick is very much alive and with us

Could it be that lovably bumbling, stumbling barrel of misconceptions, angst and nerves - Barney Fife- aka
Don Knotts?