The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

Tools    

Gilliam's new movie is looking pretty interesting and to throw in Heath Ledger , Johnny Depp , Jude Law , and Colin Farrell all take turns playing the same character ....

3 Clips from the Movie

I gotta say I like the detachment from the skewed camera angles I've come to expect from him.

You guys ready to let the dogs out?
I've read some interesting reviews of the movie.

It's supposedly a very "Terry Gilliam" movie and his fans will love it whilst the rest of the audience will find it quite confusing and self indulgent. Apparently having 4 actors playing the same character has worked well and Ledger's performance whilst not being his best is still very good.

BBC said:

"There's no doubt that the imaginary world he's created is awe-inspiring, but it's ultimately designed for an art house audience.

The critics at Cannes loved it, but most cinema-goers would need to see it more than once to start untangling the multiple themes."

Gilliam is always at least worth a look, but my interest in this one is mid-level.

Heath Ledger + Terry Gilliam = Fantastic Film. Gilliam has a wonderful imagination in all his films. His stories are amazing with unique and interesting characters. I'm gonna be sleeping outside the theater the day before this comes out! hehe.

The new trailer for Terry Gilliam’s The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus is now online.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus will be released on October 16th in the UK, but it still needs to find a distributor in the US.

Johnny Deep, Jude Law, and Collin Ferrell all played Heath Ledger's character for part of the movie as Ledger wasn't done filming when that Olsen Twin murdered him (what?). looks kinda trippy. do people think it will do well because its his last movie, or has that worn out since he died about 20 months ago?

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus:

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Absolutely loved the trailer.

The reviews are mixed; the consensus seems to be that it is a confusing narrative. I usually don't like that in a film, but for some reason, I really want to see this. I do love Heath, Johnny, and Farrell, so that may be part of it.

I thought another thing was interesting -- the critics all seem to point out a particular performance as being especially good, and it's not always the same one! One example said that Depp is a standout; another said Farrell was; and others pointed to other actors. I just thought that was intriguing.

I think it needs to be said that this looks great. I know that usually when there are such high expectations they aren't usually lived up to but lets look at whats on the list.

Terry Gilliam, sometime director and part of Monty Python. Director of 12 Monkeys & Fear and Loathing in Las Vagas arguably some of his best work, the only thing I could see going wrong regarding Gilliam is if this is a kids film and he tones it down like The Brother Grimm which wasn't really that good.

Ledger and Depp speak for themselves, diverse and talented. Farrel and Law aren't too bad either.

Tom Waits as the devil, he brings something unique and quirky and has been an interesting addition to movies I've seen him in, like Wristcutters.

That's quite a line up, regardless of all the fanboy/girl hype.

Sony Classics have set a December 25th release date for Terry Gilliam’s The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus so that US audiences can see Heath Ledger’s final feature film appearance. It has already been given an October release date in countries such as the UK and Australia for a while now.

when is this going to be released? or is it ever going to be released? it's either the movie came out bad or just poor marketing of the movie or lack of funds...? idk