Green Lantern

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Honestly, a bit disappointing.
I'm hoping that they're still working on fine-tuning the effects. If not... Lucy's got some 'splainin to do.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I wasn't only talking about the effects.. it looks like a kiddie 3D film.

& why would they want the first preview to make it look like a slapstick comedy film.
They did the same with Green Hornet.

Maybe they feel since it's a cosmic story & not realistic, people might prefer a comedy adventure then a serious film. I hope not.

The clips of it look horrible.

And Ryan Reynolds? Really?

Think I'll pass and hope they one day bring Lobo to the Silver Screen.

I think they are already working on it... Jeffrey Dean Morgan was in talks to play Lobo.
I'd be very comfortable with it.. He was the best thing about Watchmen...
He was great in Losers as well...

But if they do make Lobo, it shouldn't get a PG rating.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
i think the way to go for the more Adulty comics-to-films is to make an R-rated movie, knowing ahead of time that the film will be trimmed for release as pg-13 for the wide-release to the multi-plex.

Then the DVD can have the real deal version.

I honestly feel this movie is going to be released June 17th and forgotten by June 21st. Does look awful in too many of the ways that I was fearing and ceratinly not what you want to release in a summer as loaded as the next one.

I liked it. I will say the CGI costume still looks a little quirky, but I think it looks like it will be a fun super-hero flick, as it should be.

(Although Captain America is still the super-hero film I'm most looking forward to.)

Couldn't disagree more. For one, we don't have to see just one superhero movie; most of us geeks are going to see 'em all. For another, Ryan Reynolds is pretty darn charismatic, and this seems like a great vehicle for him.

Something else I dig is that they seem unafraid of both the scope and the larger-than-life feel of most comic books. They're rejecting the standard "let's go dark and gritty" meme and embracing the medium they're drawing from a little more. But it really looks like it's trying to contain real drama, too. If it can split that difference a bit like Iron Man did (and not get too cheezy or self-aware, like Fantastic Four), then it can work.

Too soon to say, obviously (seriously, we're predicting the film will be a flop already?), but I think it's trying to strike an ambitious balance between those two schools of thought, and I think Reynolds' pushes it over the top into a modest, surprise success. I guess we'll see.

Semper Fooey
I saw it on ET. It might be okay. They are showing the other Green Lanterns and the previous report implied they wouldn't be in it.

My biggest fear is that they may be cramming too many villains into this first movie. Hector Hammond, Sinestro and Parallax all in one movie? Sinestro obviously starts off as a good guy, but he and Hammond appear on the "villain" posters that are out there. It remains unclear if Hammond becomes Parallax or if Parallax is a completely different entity in this film (either of which is a big change from the comics because Hal Jordan became Parallax there).

I never read the comics but I've watched some Justice League back in the day, though I still don't know much about his origins. Is his costume really controlled by his ring? If it is I guess it would make sense to have it be CG but it seems like it might be distracting after awhile. Either way I am going to see this for sure.

Semper Fooey
By the way, the Green Lantern oath (from brightest day to darkest night...)was created by Batman co-creator Bill Finger for the 1940s Green Lantern who had an entirely different origin.

I never read the comics but I've watched some Justice League back in the day, though I still don't know much about his origins. Is his costume really controlled by his ring? If it is I guess it would make sense to have it be CG but it seems like it might be distracting after awhile. Either way I am going to see this for sure.
I'm unclear on that point as well. It's possible that it's been done both ways, since Hal Jordan has undergone several retcons since his 1959 debut. The ring can create whatever the wielder can imagine, so it makes sense.

Semper Fooey
The wlidest thing which I never understood the logistics was the Flash keeping his costume in his ring. That wasn't magic, but supposed to be based on some type of scientific principal, which completely eludes me.