MoFo All Time 100: Ideas and Suggestions

Tools    

It's possible to truly love more than 25 movies imo..
Never said it wasn't so no idea why you felt a need to address this to me

Never said it wasn't so no idea why you felt a need to address this to me
In reaction to wasted vote, example; if you have two friends hanging from a cliff, you truly love both equally. You know beforehand you can only save friend A, you can try to save friend B but you know he wont make it beforehand. So if you waste effort to save B, it would be wasted effort and both won't make it. Sorry bad at examples and english

In reaction to wasted vote, example; if you have two friends hanging from a cliff, you truly love both equally. You know beforehand you can only save friend A, you can try to save friend B but you know he wont make it. So if you waste effort to save B, it would be wasted effort and both won't make it. Sorry bad at examples and english
You're English is fine but yes, that's a poor example, voting for favourite movies is in no way comparable to saving human lives. Someone voting for a movie that they truly love but perhaps won't garner much support elsewhere is not a 'wasted effort' and that movie will not suddenly cease to exist should it not happen to make an appearance on a countdown on a movie site.

As far as deciding which movies one wants to rate higher than others (or include/exclude on a personal ballot) I'd certainly hope the majority of people use better metrics than simply whether one is more liable to make the list than another. If everyone predominately voted for movies that they thought are liable to garner plenty of votes the result would be an incredibly characterless and rather anticlimactic affair imo.

You're English is fine but yes, that's a poor example, voting for favourite movies is in no way comparable to saving human lives. Someone voting for a movie that they truly love but perhaps won't garner much support elsewhere is not a 'wasted effort' and that movie will not suddenly cease to exist should it not happen to make an appearance on a countdown on a movie site.

As far as deciding which movies one wants to rate higher than others (or include/exclude on a personal ballot) I'd certainly hope the majority of people use better metrics than simply whether one is more liable to make the list than another. If everyone predominately voted for movies that they thought are liable to garner plenty of votes the result would be an incredibly characterless and rather anticlimactic affair imo.
Well thanks for the compliment but my English still not 'fine' enough to make you get where I'm coming from. But bottom-line is I will send in a ballot of 25 flicks I love and are representative of my character, with as least wasted votes as possible.

Well thanks for the compliment but my English still not 'fine' enough to make you get where I'm coming from. But bottom-line is I will send in a ballot of 25 flicks I love and are representative of my character, with as least wasted votes as possible.
I get where you're coming from I just don't see voting for a movie that doesn't make a countdown as a waste. To use your example earlier if I already knew that 32 other people were going to help Friend A and they were nigh on certain to be saved I wouldn't see trying to help Friend B (no matter how unlikely it is to prove effective) as a waste of effort.

Bottom line though is as long as people vote for 25 movies they truly love it's all well and good no matter how they decide on those 25

I get where you're coming from I just don't see voting for a movie that doesn't make a countdown as a waste. To use your example earlier if I already knew that 32 other people were going to help Friend A and they were nigh on certain to be saved I wouldn't see trying to help Friend B (no matter how unlikely it is to prove effective) as a waste of effort.

Bottom line though is as long as people vote for 25 movies they truly love it's all well and good no matter how they decide on those 25
I could give another example but something s telling me to throw the damn towel.
And we both share the same bottom line so it is all well and good
Just trying to give ballot pro-tips and failed.

Anybody got a link to the 2010 countdown? Curious about the 'just missed' movies that almost made it.
I was trying (and failing) to find it the other day. I don't think hosts were doing the near misses ten years ago, if I recall correctly. Forum-wide list making was kind of in its infancy back then on MoFo.

Thanks CR, teleporting to 2010 now..

TOP TEN FILMS THAT JUST MISSED THE LIST:

1. Alien (1979, Scott)

2. Donnie Darko (2001, Kelly)

3. The Goonies (1985, Donner)

4. GIngersnaps (2000, Fawcett)

5. Star Wars Episode VI: The Return of the Jedi (1983, Marquand)

6. Zodiac (2007, Fincher)

7. Crouching Tiger, HIdden Dragon (2000, Lee)

8. Scarface (1983, De Palma)

9. The Graduate (1967, Nichols)

10. On the Waterfront (1954, Kazan)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The problem is that there are so many movies that I love, that I could easily make a list of my 25 (or even 50) favorite movies where the order is interchangeable depending on my mood. So it's not an issue of which movies to include on my list, but of which movies to exclude from my list.

Either way, my list will be 25 of my all-time favorite movies, but the only difference is if those movies are loved by other people too.

For example, I love the movies An Affair To Remember, Arsenic and Old Lace, 12 Angry Men, Wall-E, Kiss Me Goodbye, and Seems Like Old Times. Any of these movies could easily make my top 25 list, but it's not hard to figure out which of these movies have a chance to make the countdown, and which movies wouldn't have any chance at all to make the list.

So hypothetically, should I only include my favorite movies that have a chance to make the list, or potentially have a list with only a handful of movies that make the list, and a bunch of wasted votes?
Try looking at the old mofo top 100, and find out which one of your favorites are already on there and could use a boost/your vote.

I'm not really trying to boost anything on the old list. I'm just trying to decide for myself how to place the different types of movies on my own list. In general, I don't care if my favorite movies make the MoFo list or not. I usually just vote for my own favorite movies in these countdowns.

But this one is a little bit different because there's a much better chance that I could potentially end up with a list where none of the movies on my list make the countdown. That would make it a pretty boring countdown for me.

So I'm just trying to figure out if I should give a little extra weight to movies that have a better chance to make the countdown or not. (However, I haven't even started compiling my list yet, so I'm not sure where some of my higher rated favorites will end up.)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
If you truly love a movie there is no such thing as a 'wasted vote' imo.

Maybe "wasted vote" was poor wording. I just think that with so many movies to choose from, it's more likely than in other countdowns that there will be more movies on my list that won't make the countdown than in past countdowns.

That's why I thought it made more sense for people to submit a list of their top 50 instead of their top 25. It would have been more likely that multiple people would include some of the same "guilty pleasure" movies on their lists, and we might have ended up with a more diverse list than the normal top 100 movies that we see all over the internet.

I think this list is going to be way different, other than the top 20 all for sure making it again.
I'm not so sure Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind will make it again, and that was the way at 19