Steven Speilberg Vs. Netflix

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Good point. I just looked at Roma's Wiki page and it does indeed say Netflix was the USA distributor of Roma. Netflix was not listed as the producer. In my book Roma is an indie film. I think it should have qualified for Oscar nomination, as it did.

I much rather see movies like Roma getting funding so they can be made, then Spielberg's own entertainment film Reader Player One.
Speaking it terms of coolness, Ready Player One > Roma

Honestly I think I lost what we are even talking about but I will say Gilroy and Saulnier had very good and successful movies and that's why they got more movies.
you mean the director of box office bombs roman j israel esq and green room ? both those movies bombed. Those directors need to work harder to get their next movies greenlit. But with netflix throwing money at them...they get to make their movies easily.

Welcome to the human race...
Using box office as your primary metric for measuring a film's success without factoring in whether or not the film was actually good or well-liked by those who did see it isn't exactly a foolproof method for determining whether or not its director deserves to keep making movies.

It's also silly to say an independent film that didn't open in many theaters "bombed." He actually has no way of knowing if that's true. The budget is modest, so it could easily be profitable (even significantly so) with next to no gross from theaters.

I can't imagine thinking that grown men and women, most of whom are so obsessed with their work that they'll do it with any amount of money any way they can, are somehow completely at the mercy of the same kind of base incentives as dogs staring a treat you're holding. That's so reductive as to be almost comical.

you mean the director of box office bombs roman j israel esq and green room ? both those movies bombed. Those directors need to work harder to get their next movies greenlit. But with netflix throwing money at them...they get to make their movies easily.
I agree with what both Iro and Yoda are saying. I would say Nightcrawler, Blue Ruin, and Green Room enjoyed some measure of success, critical or otherwise. So you may be right about Israel. If one unsuccessful movie is enough for them not to get those big budget Netflix dollars then I guess I concede. Do you have any idea what these Netflix movies cost? Neither Buzzsaw nor Hold The Dark seem particularly bug in scale compared to their other films.

Welcome to the human race...
According to Box Office Mojo, Green Room made about $3.2m domestic but a foreign number was unavailable (nor was an actual production budget for some reason, though we had to get that $5m number from somewhere...), so there's no telling how much it's made overall.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Ironpony is right. Most movies are made using other people's money and that's still no guarantee that the movie will "get good" as a result - if anything, the more common stereotype is that individual artists have to compromise their creativity in order to fit their producer's demands for commercially viable (and artistically mediocre) product. Netflix's hands-off approach is essentially a gamble that will either pay off big or not, but in the grand scheme of things it's not all that different to major studios in that it does bank on accessible content to help finance its bigger risks.

Ironpony - I would think it's got something to do with the rule that a film can only be eligible for Oscars if it plays in commercial theatres for a minimum amount of time (I think it's about two weeks), which is something that I don't think gets offered to actual TV movies very often (if at all). I remember reading somewhere that part of Spielberg's proposal was to extend the minimum theatrical run needed to qualify to four weeks, but I don't have a source on hand for that.
Oh okay, it's just that the Oscars never went for made TV and straight to video movies before, so I'm just surprised. Like back in the 90s, they would never nominate TV and straight to VHS movies made by a company like Trimark Pictures for example, so I thought they would consider Netflix to be inferior as well.

A movie is a movie, TV or theater. He is just off on this one. I am not sure how much clout he has on the board, i am sure the others will chime in.