Lets Talk Football

Tools    

Everton hit with a -10 point deduction by the EPL, via the recommendation of an independant commission.

Obviousl they are going to appeal this, and they do have grounds. After all, the situation has been brought about by the pandemic initially and then the war in Ukraine, as the UK government suspended all Russian business and investment in the UK, which killed a £200m deal that Everton had with a Russian company who were going to be the sponsor (indl naming rights) for the new stadium that Everton are building.In light of all this, Everton had been working with the EPL with regrds these matters and had pretty much a zero spend in terms of signing new players over the last 2 transfer windows as a result.

The penalty seems high because of this, but alswhen Portsmouth went into administration in 2009/10 they were only docted -9 points, when so many people lost jobs and all sorts. So to be pegged even more than that seems odd in a historical context, but there are reasons, it would seem,

The EPL and the independant commission was set up for not just this matter, but to show that the game is being governed properly and independant of requiring government oversight, but also as there are much larger and much more damning cases in the wings being lined up against Man City and Chelsea. Everton were open with the EPL about their situation while both of those clubs have refused to co-operate at all, and if found guilty on all counts those 2 not only face points deductions but potentially direct relegation. But even if that isn't the case, at this point there is zero interest for those clubs to be open with the EPL about their situations (or any other club in future for that matter) instead of obfuscating and delaying, when seen whats happened here, even when someone does comply with the EPL.

Think the EPL is also being hardline about this Everton case in that they were shown to be weak and ineffective when the news broke about the Euro Super League, that Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Man U & Spurs had conspired to defect to leave the EPL to be part of that competition and only backed down by fan pressure by the fans of their own clubs in concert with the overall backlash against them. They got out of that scot free and without a single scrap of punishment by the EPL, simply by paying a nominal combined £22m 'to the goodwill of the game'... that amounts to less than £4m on average across those 6 clubs, which is a proverbial drop in the ocean at those clubs.

So the EPL taking this current stance I suspect is in a large part both to show they have teeth and depending on how they proceed in those aforementioned cases against Man City and Chelsea in mind and the potential for even bigger penalties to come in those.

The curious thing to note about this Everton decision also is, they only just narrowly avoided relegation last season, so will be interesting to see the reaction of Leicester in partucular, but Leeds also, both of whom were relegated and that 10 point deduction happening last season would've seen Everton finish below them both (but still ahead of Southampton).

There are a lot of moving parts here, but don't think we've heard the end of this.

This feeels like EPL wanting to show everyone that they still are an authority, while barely punishing the big clubs for trying to leave the EPL. Everton already had a tough time last season, wonder if theyre gonna survive this season.

Everton & City things are completely different issues.

With Everton it's a case of stupidly overspending money, despite the warnings of the authorities. They actually bet on finishing 6, when they hired Rafa. Eventhough they only gave him peanuts for transfers.
It's a case a massive mismanagement.

Is their punishment a bit too harsh? Yes.
Will they survive? Most likely, because the three promoted teams are the weakest promoted teams I have seen for a long while. There's always one or two bad sides. This season all three of them are rubbish.

Now City have actually indulged in criminality with their finances. They escaped UEFA punishments because their laws are time bound, & the period to punish them expired. There is no such time scale with the league.

In a just world City should be relegated & stripped of their titles.
In this world they will at the most get a bigger points penalty, which they might successfully appeal against.

Good Christmas news for @honeykid with Ratcliffe getting the minority stake.

However, Mark Ogden on ESPN was saying that until his move is ratified by the league (by Feb), he won't be able to make any changes in the club. He added that the transfer window will not see any major moves.

Good Christmas news for @honeykid with Ratcliffe getting the minority stake.

However, Mark Ogden on ESPN was saying that until his move is ratified by the league (by Feb), he won't be able to make any changes in the club. He added that the transfer window will not see any major moves.
I'd agree with that. No chance of anything happening before the Summer in terms of transfers down to Ratcliffe. People are also forgetting that one of United's big problems is FFP because they pay far too much, too often and usuall sell for a lot less, therefore the amount they have to spend is mostly down to their off field activities.

My guess is that he/they'll spend the next 3-4 months going through the personel of the club and deciding who'll stay and who'll go and who they can get in. I've heard that he's looking at about £250m to improve the stadium, which is desperately needed, but also no enough to do what's necessary.

Posting here for the first time since the news was announced. I geniuely felt he would leave in 25-26, so was kinda prepared for it, but it still feels horrible.

Probably the best manger during my time as a supporter, with Rafa at second. Will be incredible hard to replace Klopp.

Alonso sounds like a perfect name, but the only thing that worries me is that his brand of football is more Pep's Barca than Klopp's. Might take time for the team to adjust.

Also, it would hurt me if my all time favourite player fails as a manager.
Still a far better choice than the others. He will also be given more time than others, because of his connection as a former player.

On a last note, I really hope we win the league for Klopp. But City look unbeatable.

I know how you feel, @WrinkledMind, I was the same when Fergie left. I think you're also lucky that you have better options around this summer than when Fergie left. The timing for Fergie leaving was a big part of the problems of the first few seasons, at least, after he left.

Plus, Klopp's leaving a better team with more potential than Fergie's last stand.

From a personal pov, I also wouldn't like to see another mini Pep and his style. Obviously I hate Liverpool and don't usually watch them (unless I think they'll lose) but at least they play entertaining football.