MoFo Movie Roulette

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
My choices for you:

I Love You to Death Filmed in the city I grew up in, with some cool local landmarks like Bob's Java Jive.

The Commitments about a local music group in Ireland.

The Getaway a fun action flick
I Love You to Death it is!!!

Suspect's Reviews

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I Love You to Death it is!!!
An excellent lil Dark Comedy -- hope you enjoy it!

Sing Street (2016)

Score a hit for @TheUsualSuspect I liked Sing Street quite a bit. I will say it didn't blow me away, but...it did impress me with what it didn't do.

I kept expecting some big, dark twist, say like the girl turns out to be a prostitute or ends up dead. Instead the film stayed focused and didn't try to sell a bill of goods that it wasn't initially offering. Gosh I like that last sentence, maybe I'll reuse it sometime. Sing Street is an all around fun teen movie, like they use to make back in the 80s.

So how do I rate this? If I was reviewing this I'd give it a
+ which to me is a 3.75, but I don't know if we're doing quarter points.

So I'll just say it's a

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sing-Street-Music-Video-760x287.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	72188  

I Love You To Death

Nominated by @Citizen Rules

I found this film to be hilarious. The over the top nature of the third act brought an odd smile to my face due to the absurdity of their situation. Kevin Kline's accent had me smiling from the opening confession and I really think this film was well cast as everyone does a spectacular job of being uniquely comical. I want to give a special shout out to William Hurt and Keanu Reeves as Coen-esque criminals who can't get the job done.

As I was watching I couldn't help but feel that this movie could be a movie that I'd revisit multiple times. It had that feel from the get-go and despite my lukewarm reactions towards the final sequence, this was a joy to watch from beginning to end. It's a well-written script too.

I probably would never have watched this unless I accidentally stumbled upon it on TV. So great nomination.

Round 2

@pahaK
@John Dumbear
------------------------
@Citizen Rules
@jiraffejustin
------------------------
@Allaby
@edarsenal
--------------------------
@cricket
@TheUsualSuspect
---------------------------

Current Standings:
  1. John Dumbear - 4.5
  2. Allaby - 4.5
  3. jiraffejustin - 4
  4. Citizen Rules - 4
  5. Cricket - 4
  6. Suspect - 4
  7. pahaK - 4
  8. edarsenal - 3.5

Let the night air cool you off
@Citizen Rules

I don't know if we are supposed to keep recommending the same films over and over, but I saw you mention that Shoplifters looks good, soooo.....

Choice one: Choice three: Shoplifters (2018) by Hirokazu Koreeda because you said it looked good

Choice two: War and Peace (1965) by Sergey Bondarchuk because I think it's a fantastic piece of filmmaking, maybe the single greatest achievement in the history of film. The major downside is that it is very long, so I don't expect it to be your choice for a game like this. But if you can ever dedicate the time to see it, I strongly recommend it. I think there is a shorter version, you can watch that if you want, but the super long version is the best.

Choice three: Alexander Nevsky (1938) by Sergei Eisenstein because it's a cool, rousing film that's important to film history. Pretty sure it's widely available online and on Youtube with subs.

Ideally you'd recommend different movies to different people but if you think they'd like the same one, by all means.

@John Dumbear

These are sort of blind picks (you're newish in here, and most of the films in your Letterboxd aren't rated). I did skim your post history a bit, though, so hopefully, you'll find something interesting.

Let the Right One In (2008) - you said you're not a horror fan, but this is more like a drama with some supernatural/horror elements. Sort of based on your post about your favorite child actor performances as well. If you choose this, I strongly recommend Swedish audio + subtitles - I've accidentally started it once with English dubbing, and it was horrible.

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (1976) - another one with strong child performance. It's odd how this one's so often dismissed when speaking about Jodie Foster as it's my favorite of hers. Definitely not horror even though it's weirdly labeled as such at times.

Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) - Peter Weir's dreamlike mystery film. All about the atmosphere.

@edarsenal

My recommendations for you are:
1. My Dinner with Andre (1981) Directed by Louis Malle, the film stars Andre Gregory and Wallace Shawn as two old friends who meet for dinner and have a riveting conversation about their lives and experiences.
2. Breaker Morant (1980) Directed by Bruce Beresford, this drama is about three Australian lieutenants who are court martialed for executing prisoners.
3. Elmer Gantry (1960) Directed by Richard Brooks, this Oscar winning film stars Burt Lancaster and Jean Simmons and is about a fast talking salesman who joins up with an evangelist.

All 3 are on my list of personal favourites and are 10/10s.