Foreign Language Hall of Fame

Tools    

Don't get too happy about it, as I have a feeling you won't like what I actually did nominate.
You were very wrong....of the re-watches that's my favorite and it's #95 in my top 100

The Exterminating Angel (1962)

The Leopard (1963)

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)

The Sword of Doom (1966)

La Haine (1995)

Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

That isn't bad enough for me to drop out

Oh i also got The Exterminating Angel correct on my second try last night Deleted the post to keep it a surprise, check his profile comments if you don't believe me, you can't erase history JJ!

I haven't seen the majority of the nominations, so I can't give a preliminary reaction to many of them. But here's some quick notes on what I have seen:

The Sword of Doom: I haven't seen this since I was a teenager, and I'm certainly mixing parts of it up with some other films I saw in that period. I basically went on a huge Japanese bender in high school, so a lot of it blends together. I'm looking forward to seeing it again!

Millennium Actress: I've been meaning to rewatch this film for awhile now. I absolutely loved Tokyo Godfathers when I watched it for the Animation HoF, which made me excited to rewatch Kon's other films, since I wasn't a huge fan of either when I first saw them. I rewatched Paprika and Perfect Blue when they were nominated for the Animation Tournament, and liked both a lot more than my first time through (particularly Paprika). So it'll be interesting to see if my opinion has changed about Millennium Actress as well.

Pan's Labyrinth: I love Guillermo del Toro's style, but I've never really loved any of his films as a whole. I've been wanting to rewatch this one since I met Doug Jones last year, but haven't really gotten around to it. Now's the perfect opportunity!

Phoenix: This is my nomination. Anyone who followed the 12th HoF should see some similarities between this and Barbara, since they are directed by the same guy, and star the same actress. I won't say much about this now since I'm going to do my write-up for it very soon.

Thelma: I watched this about a month ago for our 2017 Film Awards. I nominated it in a couple of categories, but it didn't make the final cut. I found it quite interesting, but again I won't go into too much detail since I'll likely post my review of this film sometime this weekend.

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the films, particularly all the thrillers.

movies can be okay...
I can't wait to watch The Exterminating Angel, Pan's Labyrinth, Phoenix and Millennium Actress.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Phoenix was so unsettling and powerful in the weirdest way. Didn't expect that after how subdued Barbara was, really want to see Barbara again now i did like it then, think i would like it more now.

Phoenix was so unsettling and powerful in the weirdest way. Didn't expect that after how subdued Barbara was, really want to see Barbara again now i did like it then, think i would like it more now.
When I first saw Phoenix I thought I liked Barbara just slightly more, but now I'm not so sure. They both have great, tense atmospheres to them. I like the quiet yet oppressive feel of Barbara, but it lacks some of the mystery that Phoenix has.

Nina Hoss has worked with the same director in a couple of other films as well. I should probably check them out too.

When I first saw Phoenix I thought I liked Barbara just slightly more, but now I'm not so sure. They both have great, tense atmospheres to them. I like the quiet yet oppressive feel of Barbara, but it lacks some of the mystery that Phoenix has.

Nina Hoss has worked with the same director in a couple of other films as well. I should probably check them out too.
He's got one coming out this year: Transit. Hoss is not in it but i've heard it's great from some festival goers including one that hasn't really liked anything else he's done.

Oh i also got The Exterminating Angel correct on my second try last night Deleted the post to keep it a surprise, check his profile comments if you don't believe me, you can't erase history JJ!
I saw your post and that it was deleted, so I knew it was correct.

What do you find so bad about this? I haven't seen it just wondering as it seems well loved/acclaimed.
One of the absolute toughest times I've ever had getting through a movie.

If we add 17 weeks to this coming Sunday (April 1st), does that give us July 29th?

Could someone please double-check my math?
Yep haha. I did some mathing earlier from today and it was the 27th unless we're both wrong .

Yep haha. I did some mathing earlier from today and it was the 27th unless we're both wrong .
That's good enough for me.

I'm thinking about having the deadline be either the 27th or 28th, so I can post the results that Sunday (which is why I was counting from the 1st). That is unless everyone finishes early, but there's always a couple of slowpokes haha.

What do you find so bad about this? I haven't seen it just wondering as it seems well loved/acclaimed.
Boring to the point of contemptuous, it's three hours lots of talking forgettable characters the plot feels meaningless. It was one of those films where you invest all this time and then can't remember a thing about it the next day.

Boring to the point of contemptuous, it's three hours lots of talking forgettable characters the plot feels meaningless. It was one of those films where you invest all this time and then can't remember a thing about it the next day.
Sounds like how I felt.

I've seen La Haine and Pan's Labyrinth already and loved them both, so I'll be excited to see everyone's reviews of them. The Exterminating Angel, Thelma, Phoenix, The Sword of Doom, Millennium Actress, Benny's Video and The Umbrellas of Cherbourg look awesome. I'm gonna add some of them to my watchlist now.

But overall I'm glad I didn't join. The Leopard, Samsara, The Belier Family and Assassination really don't look like something I'd enjoy. I would have to be in a very specific mood to enjoy The Saragossa Manuscript, Borgman, Age of Shadows and Entre Nos. Forcing myself into those would make them an absolute chore to watch.

If I did join I would've nominated Funny Games.

Martin Scorsese has it in his 12 favourite films:

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) – Stanley Kubrick
8½ (1963) – Federico Fellini
Ashes and Diamonds (1958) – Andrzej Wajda
Citizen Kane (1941) – Orson Welles
The Leopard (1963) – Luchino Visconti
Paisan (1946) – Roberto Rossellini
The Red Shoes (1948) – Michael Powell/Emeric Pressburger
The River (1951) – Jean Renoir
Salvatore Giuliano (1962) – Francesco Rosi
The Searchers (1956) – John Ford
Ugetsu Monogatari (1953) – Mizoguchi Kenji
Vertigo (1958) – Alfred Hitchcock
Still looking forwrd to seeing it, hopefully i don't feel the same as you two.

That's good enough for me.

I'm thinking about having the deadline be either the 27th or 28th, so I can post the results that Sunday (which is why I was counting from the 1st). That is unless everyone finishes early, but there's always a couple of slowpokes haha.
What's good about this is it'll go long enough to the B&N's Criterion Sale, and I've been meaning to buy The Exterminating Angel for the last five years or so.

The Exterminating Angel, Thelma, Phoenix, The Sword of Doom, Millennium Actress, Benny's Video and The Umbrellas of Cherbourg look awesome. I'm gonna add some of them to my watchlist now.
If you watch any of them during the HoF, feel free to post about them in here. There's always room for more reviews and discussions.

Martin Scorsese has it in his 12 favourite films:

Still looking forwrd to seeing it, hopefully i don't feel the same as you two.
https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...avorite-films/

- Citizen Kane
- Casablanca
- A Streetcar Named Desire
- Giant
- Sonny

Great filmmakers can love bad movies and terrible filmmakers can love classics.