Lasting impressions

→ in
Tools    

Possessor (2020)

The film feels somewhat rushed, you don't really get much backstory or character development, you're kind of left to pick up some of the pieces as you go along. The ending could be interpreted in different ways and I kind of like that. Altogether I'd say it wasn't bad. Some intriguing ideas and wonderfully grotesque imagery. I just would've preferred a more polished execution.
Silly artsy grotesque ambiguous horror ticks a few of my favorite checkboxes. I'll look out for it. I used to love alpha Cronenberg's bizzaro gore.

Silly artsy grotesque ambiguous horror ticks a few of my favorite checkboxes. I'll look out for it. I used to love alpha Cronenberg's bizzaro gore.
Don't forget excessive vaping. As usual I'll be on the lookout for that review.

Kid 90 (2021)

Great documentary. Has all the nostalgia you would expect and a rawness anyone would appreciate.

Dogs Don't Wear Pants (2019)

A film about grief and acceptance. Less brutal than I was expecting considering the trailer, and a lot more heart. Literally and figuratively. Though at times certain scenes can drag on a bit, I really liked the overall story. It's a keeper.

Nine Perfect Strangers (TV Series - 2021)

Not bad. I liked it until the ending. It was building up nicely and then it just kind of fizzles. What mostly made the show for me were the relationships between characters.

Squid Game (TV Series - 2021)

When the show is good, it's really good. I was hooked. That is until episode 7. If you watched it you know what I'm talking about. It doesn't even end there. The actual ending of the show was disappointing. That cliche dialogue as to the reason behind it all. Really? I hear a second season is in the works, hopefully they get it together because this could be a gold mine.

Nobody (2021)

Finally got around to it, and let me tell you Naishuller has yet to let me down. Add Kolstad to that list now. This was another fantastic film. These men understand action cinema. It was just pure action with amazingly over-the-top kills and I was a happy camper.

V/H/S 94 (2021)

I had a blast with this one. But the star of the show, the cream of the crop is "The Subject". From beginning to end I was glued to the screen, it was just so much fun and had so many creative and unique elements.

Broadcast Signal Intrusion (2021)

What a snoozefest. I stuck around to the end hoping something, anything of interest would happen and nope, nothing. The premise could've opened the door to so many interesting angles, but this is what they came up with. A disjointed mess. The editing was off, the story was just stupid and the soundtrack was incredibly boring and felt completely out of place. Except for whatever was playing in the car. I looked up all the songs mentioned in the credits and the only one I can't find is Gary Hughes' Golden Days. That's probably the one. I guess something decent came of this.

The Deep House (2021)

I was looking forward to this since it was first announced. The concept is a unique twist to the haunted house genre. Unfortunately the execution failed to deliver. It was mentioned recently how difficult it was for them to film underwater, which is understandable and I commend them for even trying something like this. However, the film had other issues. There's barely a story there and what is there is incredibly boring. The dialogue/writing was ridiculously unrealistic and unnatural, add to that the ****ty acting and you have yourself a recipe for failure. Needless to say I was disappointed.

The Deep House (2021)

I was looking forward to this since it was first announced. The concept is a unique twist to the haunted house genre. Unfortunately the execution failed to deliver. It was mentioned recently how difficult it was for them to film underwater, which is understandable and I commend them for even trying something like this. However, the film had other issues. There's barely a story there and what is there is incredibly boring. The dialogue/writing was ridiculously unrealistic and unnatural, add to that the ****ty acting and you have yourself a recipe for failure. Needless to say I was disappointed.
I'll try to temper my expectations, but the concept is too cool for me to pass up.

I'll try to temper my expectations, but the concept is too cool for me to pass up.
Okay, but you were warned. You never listen to me.

I can't wait for the review!

Zero Charisma (2013)
"An overgrown nerd who serves as Game Master of a fantasy board game finds his role as leader of the misfits put into jeopardy when a new initiate enters the group." - IMDB

Going by some reviews I was expecting something much darker, but it was actually pretty funny. I'm a sucker for these sort of films so any time I come across one I'm all over it. They rarely disappoint.

PSA: I use the term "incredibly boring" A LOT.

Flowers (Season 2)
Another great season. Those last 2 episodes hit hard.

Flowers (Season 2)

Another great season. Those last 2 episodes hit hard.
Thanks again for introducing me to that show. I remember preferring the first, but the 2nd season hits a more emotive chord. I missed the darker tone though.

Thanks again for introducing me to that show. I remember preferring the first, but the 2nd season hits a more emotive chord. I missed the darker tone though.
Any time

If I had to choose I'd also say the first season is my preferred, but they're both great in their own way. The second season definitely struck a chord or two. I take it it's pretty much over. Bittersweet.

They still hold up splendidly...

Strangers with candy (TV)

Titus (TV)

Unhappily Ever After (TV)

We're All Going to the World's Fair (2021)

Well, that was disappointing. I appreciate where it was trying to go, but unfortunately that journey was very boring.

A few things I watched recently/currently watching...

This Fool (TV 2022) -

Night Sky (TV 2022) -
(RIP, so much potential)
The Lazarus Project (TV 2022) -

Killing It (TV 2022) -

Red Rose (TV 2022) -

The Capture (TV 2019) - only watched the first episode but so far, so good.