Live Action Musical Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

That is confusing.... I mean, if you liked showtunes, surely you should also be into Elton John, like the other kids.
Didn't know anything about Elton John at the time, I was a kid.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
WELCOME @Gideon

and CONGRATS @Clazor on the 1000 post - VERY nice!!

and @Cosmic, I'm a big fan of Rocky Horror though I was VERY late in hitting the midnight shows for the full experience - I was usually watching Song Remains The Same, AC/DC's Let There Be Rock and such at the midnight shows as a teenager. Didn't see my first movie theater experience of Rocky until the late eighties when theaters were growing tired of cleaning up and thereby prohibiting -- pretty much everything and even the fans were getting a lil bored and simply going through the motions. Though I did get a lot of respect knowing a shout out that very few knew.
@Camo - Wizard of Oz was tempting for me and since I never sat through all of Singing in the Rain, that would've been pretty cool. Curious to hear your thoughts on St. Louis - *****, I always enjoy hearing your thoughts regardless.

So, initial thoughts:

Meet Me in St Louis (Vincente Minnelli, 1944)
Nominated by Citizen Rules
Have not seen this for a number of decades and it's been so long I scarcely remember most of it so this should be all kinds of fun revisiting it.

1776 (Peter Hunt, 1972)
Nominated by SilentVamp
I actually saw this back in my teens, so, again, all kinds of fun in revisiting.

Godspell (David Greene, 1973)
Nominated by Edarsenal
I had a few I was seriously considering, including Clazor's nom, along with Oliver! and even the more well known Jesus Christ Superstar and instead went with a favorite from childhood that was also a bit of a dark horse and not very well known which made it kinda special to nominate. And since it's been another that's been decades since I watched it, I'm pretty excited to watch it again. I still, to this day, get one of the songs "Day By Day" floating around my head.

Swing Time (1936)
Nominated by Nestorio_Miklos
This is an utter and absolute Classic that I have never actually seen and now, I get to remedy that. YAY

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Ken Hughes, 1968)
Nominated by Clazor
This is one of my ultimate childhood favorites that can only be equaled for pure joy with Willy Wonka. I actually got to see this in an old time movie theater near my house several years back and I was giddy for weeks afterward.
Now, I could make the foolish statement that this may be the one to beat for me, BUT, I have had some amazing and wonderful surprises in the HoFs I've joined in and I'm pretty d@mn sure this and SV's won't be any different. So I'll shut up now about claiming such a thing.

Into the Woods (Rob Marshall, 2014)
Nominated by ShopkeeperTriumph:
Been rather curious about this one since it came out and pretty happy to feed that curiosity now through this HoF

West Side Story (Robert Wise, 1961)
Nominated by Thursday Next
Another fun one from the very distant past - I'm already snapping my fingers for the gang fight and feeling pretty, OH SO pretty! lol

The Pajama Game (George Abbott, Stanley Donen, 1957)
Nominated by Gbgoodies
At first I didn't recognize this, so I looked it up and my eyes lit up when I realized it was one of the "beach blanket" movies (I know, officially, they're called Beach Party and beach blanket is actually one of the movies, but I've always called them that) with Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon! How frickiin cool is that!! I KNEW you'd come up with a fun one, gbg!!

Les Demoiselles de Rochefort (Jacques Demy, 1967)
The Young Girls of Rochefort (English title)
Nominated by Pussy Galore
This is the one and only that I have no idea about and since I've always enjoyed the movies I've seen PG talk about in the past I do believe, if I can keep myself from peeking and looking it up, I am going to go completely blind into and just run with it. Pretty hyped about that.

Mary Poppins (Robert Stevenson 1964)
Nominated be Gideon
And we wrap up with a great lil Disney movie that I loved as a kid and well into adulthood; and get to revisit again. Frickin awesome!

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
You're so lucky to have family members who like 1776...I can't think of one movie that my entire immediate family all like. And if there was such a movie, I know it would NEVER be a musical...my family thinks there is something seriously wrong with me and my love for musicals...my parents could never understand why most of their friends' kids were listening to the Stones, the Beatles, and Elton John and their kid was listening to West Side Story, Bye Bye Birdie, and Gypsy.
My family actually watches a lot of musicals. My oldest brother was always good for acting out different songs from musicals (I can still remember his huge collection of cast recordings - most of it being Sondheim shows). They all seem to have what they like best, but 1776 seems to be the one that binds us together.

I had only one friend that liked musicals and that wasn't until I was in the 7th grade. Basically, in school, I was left alone for liking them. It wasn't until I was an adult that I actually got "picked on" for liking them, which I find to be amazing. It doesn't bother me so much that people will kind of make fun of them (or me for liking them). It is the fact that they actually do it. I just don't get the purpose to it.

I didn't post my own opening thoughts on the noms so here they are.

Nominated by Citizen Rules...
my nom, it's charming, it's nostalgic, it's Judy Garland...and no one gets run over by a truck.

1776 (Peter Hunt, 1972)
Nominated by SilentVamp
...I've heard good things about this one, so I'm very curious to see it.

Godspell (David Greene, 1973)
Nominated by Edarsenal
...I've never seen this, so it too will be a new experience.

Swing Time (1936)
Nominated by Nestorio_Miklos
...I had this one on my possible list of musicals, Fred Astaire is hands down the best dancer and nobody looks better with him than Ginger.

Nominated by Clazor
....I've only seen this once and it was a few years ago but it was late at night and I was tired and so don't remember much about it. I'm glad it's nominated so I can watch it properly.

Nominated by ShopkeeperTriumph:
...I'm intrigued! I have no idea what this is like, so I will find out.

Nominated by Thursday Next
...I read the book when was a kid, then amazed my parents when I actually watched a musical for the first time. I loved it.

Nominated by Gbgoodies
...I don't think I've seen this, but maybe I did. At any rate Doris Day

Les Demoiselles de Rochefort (Jacques Demy, 1967)
The Young Girls of Rochefort (English title)
Nominated by Pussy Galore
...Very cool, looking forward to this one, glad to have a mix of movies.

Nominated be Gideon
...My favorite Julie Andrews musical. So many great films that it's going to be hard to decide

I'll play along with no true commitment if that is cool Citizen.
Hey Raul, of course! it's cool if you pop in, review some movies, hang out, chat. In fact I would appreciate it

There's still room for one more nom, if you're so inclined. The deadline is 3 months away, plenty of time to watch them.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I didn't post my own opening thoughts on the noms so here they are.
I read this line and I thought "Yes, he did". But then I realized that you posted in the other HoF. I guess I am getting these two mixed up and I am running the other one!

Nominated by Citizen Rules...
my nom, it's charming, it's nostalgic, it's Judy Garland...and no one gets run over by a truck.
Maybe not a truck, but perhaps a trolley.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I read this line and I thought "Yes, he did". But then I realized that you posted in the other HoF. I guess I am getting these two mixed up and I am running the other one!
I thought the same thing

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
You could of nominated that. I know GBG don't like it I'm not a fan of it either, but a lot of people are, so who knows you might have won.

I don't hate Rocky Horror the way I hate horror movies, but I'll never understand the love for it either. I'm really kind of surprised that it wasn't nominated. I know a lot of people around here love it, but I guess the people who love Rocky Horror aren't the same people who want to watch the type of movies that were nominated in this HoF.

So this is how much I've watched musicals: I've never heard of any of these, except for Into the Woods(which is fairly new), West side story(which is a classic) and my own nomination(which I'm totally nostalgic over and love), so this will be a perfect opportunity to broaden my horizon so to speak. I've also never seen any of these I might add (save for my nom of course), so the broadening will be expansive. I can't wait to get into this, though sadly I can't start now due to having to get up early tomorrow for work. This weekend though, it will be non-stop musicals, music related movies (no, I haven't forgotten about your HoF Vamp) and old horror movies (previous ongoing HoF).

Also, it seems that the start of this HoF just so happens to fall at the same time as a little milestone for me: This is my 1000th post since I joined the forum. I take this as a sign that this will be a very fun HoF filled with good movies (and since it is linked with this one, I deem that so is also the case with Vamp's HoF)

Congratulations on your 1000th post.

I thought about picking a modern musical, like Dancer in the Dark or Hedwig and the Angry Inch, because I was concerned they might be under-represented. Or making everybody watch Repo! The Genetic Opera . But much as I love all of those, the hall of fame really has to be the best of the best so I’m going with West Side Story.

As a film I probably prefer Cabaret, but as a musical I prefer West Side Story. I know this is a movieforum and we’re voting on more than the soundtrack, but I figured the songs would count more here than in a regular hall of fame (where people might be voting despite the songs, rather than because of them). Plus, I already nominated Cabaret in a previous HoF.

West Side Story has some great, memorable songs including Jet Song, America and Tonight, a classic storyline delivered in a new way and is just overall a great movie. I'm looking forward to rewatching it.

I have seen half of these nominations, although some not for a long time:

West Side Story
Meet Me in St. Louis
Swing Time
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

+ half of Into the Woods

Not seen:

1776 (not even heard of it but I am intrigued already)
Pajama Game (also never heard of it)
The Young Girls of Rochefort (which I have had on my watchlist for a while but not got round to)
Godspell

I think I look at these HoFs differently than most people who join them. Instead of picking a movie that many people have already seen and probably love, I usually try to pick a lesser known movie that I hope people will like as much as I like it. I see these HoFs as an opportunity to get people to watch a movie that I think doesn't get talked about enough, so I never expect my nomination to win the HoF, but I'm glad when I keep reading that some people haven't even heard of my nomination.

Nominated by Gbgoodies
At first I didn't recognize this, so I looked it up and my eyes lit up when I realized it was one of the "beach blanket" movies (I know, officially, they're called Beach Party and beach blanket is actually one of the movies, but I've always called them that) with Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon! How frickiin cool is that!! I KNEW you'd come up with a fun one, gbg!!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but The Pajama Game isn't part of the "beach blanket" movies. It's a fun movie, but it stars John Raitt and Doris Day, not Frankie and Annette.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050814/reference

It's probably easier for me to narrow my thoughts down quickly by first mentioning that I have most of these movies on DVD, and I even considered several of them as my nomination until I decided to go with a lesser known movie that hopefully most people haven't already seen.

These are the movies that I have on DVD, and considered as my nomination:
1776 (Peter Hunt, 1972)

Godspell (David Greene, 1973) - I have this movie on DVD because I love Victor Garber, so I had to see him in this movie. I probably haven't watched it in several years, so it's about time for a rewatch.

Swing Time (1936) - I've seen a lot of Fred Astaire movies, but many of them seem to blend together in my mind for some reason, so while I'm sure that I've probably seen this movie, I'm not sure which movie it is, so I'll enjoy watching it again.

The Pajama Game (George Abbott, Stanley Donen, 1957) - This is my nomination, so I hope you guys love it as much as I do.

Les Demoiselles de Rochefort (Jacques Demy, 1967), The Young Girls of Rochefort (English title) - This movie has been on my watchlist since I read that Gene Kelly was in it, but I haven't seen it yet, so I'm thrilled that it was nominated.

For those of you who get Turner Classic Movies:

CHECK YOUR LOCAL LISTINGS FOR THE CORRECT TIME IN YOUR AREA, AND SET YOUR DVRs NOW!!!

West Side Story is scheduled to air on TCM on:
THURSDAY, MARCH 2 @ 08:00 PM (Eastern Time) - THAT'S TONIGHT!!!
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 12 @ 03:15 PM (Eastern Time)

The Young Girls of Rochefort is scheduled to air on TCM on:
FRIDAY, MARCH 3 @ 12:00 AM (Eastern Time) - THAT'S TOMORROW NIGHT!!!

I would have chosen Les Miserables (the new one) had I partook.
I was thinking about nominating that. It was between that, Sweeney Todd, The Muppet Movie, The Muppets, or Enchanted.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I know a lot of people around here love it, but I guess the people who love Rocky Horror aren't the same people who want to watch the type of movies that were nominated in this HoF.
Not necessarily. I like Rocky Horror as well as many other musicals of different types. I would have liked to see it nominated, actually, it just wasn't near the top of my list of nominatable musicals.

I think I look at these HoFs differently than most people who join them. Instead of picking a movie that many people have already seen and probably love, I usually try to pick a lesser known movie that I hope people will like as much as I like it. I see these HoFs as an opportunity to get people to watch a movie that I think doesn't get talked about enough, so I never expect my nomination to win the HoF, but I'm glad when I keep reading that some people haven't even heard of my nomination.
Well, it is called the Hall of fame, not the Hall of 'never Heard of It'!

In all seriousness, I think it's nice to have a mixture. I like it when there are some films nominated that I have heard of, but haven't got round to watching. Actually I've stopped giving up trying to predict whether people will have seen or heard of a movie. Sometimes I've nominated what I've thought were 'obvious' choices, only to find half the participants hadn't seen it. So you never really know.

Meet Me in St Louis – I’ve never seen this one and expecting it to be a great show. It is the first to watch as per Citizen’s list. I will watch it most probably tomorrow or Saturday. I already have a copy.

1776 (Peter Hunt, 1972) – This, also, I’ve never seen and think it will be great. I already have a copy.

Godspell (David Greene, 1973) - same here and I got the copy.

Swing Time (1936) – I’ve seen this several times and also nominated it. Fred is the only one. Of course I got the copy to watch.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Ken Hughes, 1968) – Never seen this one as well. I believe it will be great. I already have a copy.

Into the Woods (Rob Marshall, 2014) – same here and I got the copy.

West Side Story (Robert Wise, 1961) – I’ve seen this couple of times on TV some 20 years ago and love it. Got the copy.

The Pajama Game (George Abbott, Stanley Donen, 1957) - Never seen this one as well. I believe it will be great.

Les Demoiselles de Rochefort (Jacques Demy, 1967) – Certainly great.

Mary Poppins (Robert Stevenson 1964) – watched

Thank you so much!