The 'Across The Decades' Song Tournament

Tools    

MC for the Great Underground Circus
waw that's cool. So yo did stuff like syd barrett too?
I probably just like some of their but chris cornell is terrific singer, love him in audioslave
I'm sorry for the late reply, somehow I must have missed it.

I can't say I'm a Syd Barret fan. The only Syd Barret tune I like is Astronomy Domine, and even that I prefer the Ummagumma version.

Audioslave is also nice,

waw that's cool. So yo did stuff like syd barrett too?
I probably just like some of their but chris cornell is terrific singer, love him in audioslave
I'm sorry for the late reply, somehow I must have missed it.

I can't say I'm a Syd Barret fan. The only Syd Barret tune I like is Astronomy Domine, and even that I prefer the Ummagumma version.

Audioslave is also nice,
I like how he played in particulary at interstellar overdrive. Eventually yet to heard ummagumma, yet complete their discography instead of their popular albums

I like how he played in particulary at interstellar overdrive. Eventually yet to heard ummagumma, yet complete their discography instead of their popular albums
Interstellar is a curious piece. They seem to have taken the musical liberties from the Jazz of that time. Ummagumma is an experiment. Is divided in two parts: a live side and a studio side. The studio side tracks were assigned to each member so they could come up with whatever they could. It's not a good album, but for experimentation purposes is very interesting.

It was the first PF album I got, and made me their fan.

Interstellar is a curious piece. They seem to have taken the musical liberties from the Jazz of that time. Ummagumma is an experiment. Is divided in two parts: a live side and a studio side. The studio side tracks were assigned to each member so they could come up with whatever they could. It's not a good album, but for experimentation purposes is very interesting.

It was the first PF album I got, and made me their fan.
interesting, recently I'm not in the mood to dig something but it definitely on my queue (y)

interesting, recently I'm not in the mood to dig something but it definitely on my queue (y)
If and when you do, tell me what your thoughts on it are.

Gonna start the tourney tomorrow (Sunday morning my time) - for those that haven't participated in one of these before I'll be putting a new set up for voting every 24 hours or so, each generally consisting of eight matches (sixteen songs). Hope you all find some enjoyment along the way.

Scorpions - Still Loving You vs The Coasters - Searchin' I like Searchin' but I love Still Loving You. Starts all ethereal and goes into full blown massive guitar at the end. Boss (as they say in Liverpool)

Steely Dan - Rikki Don't Lose That Number vs Velvet Underground - Rock & Roll - great track from the Velvets but Rikki has long been a fave, I love Steely Dan, we don't hear enough of them on the song tourneys

Earl Hines-Stormy Monday Blues vs Lionel Richie & Darius Rucker ~ Stuck on You - no contest on this one. The first is a classic

Cherry Glazerr - Told You I'd Be With the Guys vs Crispian St. Peter's-The Pied Piper - I thought I'd be going with the familiar Pied Piper that I liked when I was a kid, but I liked the Cherry Glazerr song more

Glenn Miller - Jukebox Saturday Night vs Alan Jackson - Remember When (2003) I do like a bit of big band music now and again but GBG has done that thing she does now and again to me, that's choose a song that is really sentimental, but kills me. I'm a bit of a sucker for those 'I still love in in spite of all the years' so thanks GBG for bringing a tear to me eye at 8am on a Sunday morning!

Vera Lynn - White Cliffs of Dover vs Neil Diamond & Barbra Streisand - You Don't Bring Me Flowers (1978) - I do like the second, but I dunno, White Cliffs of Dover seems to be in the DNA of Brits of a certain age.

Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth vs Metallica ~ Enter Sandman - two great songs, hard to choose

Kaleo-Way Down We Go vs The Pixies - Ana - I loved Way Down We Go, seems familiar even tho I don't remember where I've heard it before if you know what I mean. I'm listening to more of their stuff now.

some great tunes in this round. Great idea to match across decades. Makes you appreciate a wide range of music (if you didn't already!)

ROUND 1 - DAY 1

Scorpions - Still Loving You vs The Coasters - Searchin'-This was a tough call. I've always liked the first, but nothing more. I never heard the second before, and I enjoyed it.

Steely Dan - Rikki Don't Lose That Number vs Velvet Underground - Rock & Roll-I prefer a couple other Steely Dan songs, but that's a good one too. I thought it would get my vote; I just enjoyed the other more. Is that Lou Reed singing?

Earl Hines-Stormy Monday Blues vs Lionel Richie & Darius Rucker ~ Stuck on You-I already disliked the original Stuck On You, then they had to go add Rucker and make it even worse.

Cherry Glazerr - Told You I'd Be With the Guys vs Crispian St. Peter's-The Pied Piper-The second I loved as a child when my parents used to listen to it, and thankfully it popped into my mind recently. I liked the first song too.

Glenn Miller - Jukebox Saturday Night vs Alan Jackson - Remember When (2003)-The second just didn't do much for me.

Vera Lynn - White Cliffs of Dover vs Neil Diamond & Barbra Streisand - You Don't Bring Me Flowers (1978)-Strangely enough, I liked the second when I was little. Now it sounded a bit corny. The first isn't exactly my taste either, but it was a lovely song.

Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth vs Metallica ~ Enter Sandman-Both of these songs have been overplayed to death, but yet they're good choices to represent their respective decades. I've never loved the first, but I've always liked it. I once loved Sandman, but now I couldn't care less about it.

Kaleo-Way Down We Go vs The Pixies - Ana-About a month ago, I was driving with my wife back from her friend's house and she put a station on that plays newer music. I heard the first song and put it on my tournament list. Otherwise, I would have had a hard time picking something from this decade. I liked the other song but it seemed like it was over before it started.

ROUND 1 DAY 1

Scorpions - Still Loving You vs The Coasters - Searchin'
That Scorpions song has always been one of my favorites. One of the most epic rock ballads of the 80's!

Steely Dan - Rikki Don't Lose That Number vs Velvet Underground - Rock & Roll
Rikki is a great song, but Velvet Underground's song has more swagger and attitude.

Earl Hines-Stormy Monday Blues vs Lionel Richie & Darius Rucker ~ Stuck on You
The first represents its decade excellently, but there's no beating the soulful voices of Lionel and Darius singing one of Lionel's best hits.

Cherry Glazerr - Told You I'd Be With the Guys vs Crispian St. Peter's-The Pied Piper
Cherry Glazerr is THE best thing I've discovered in music so far this year, and that song of hers is hot, and so is she! Never cared for the second.

Glenn Miller - Jukebox Saturday Night vs Alan Jackson - Remember When (2003)
The first did not peak my interest, and the second was okay.

Vera Lynn - White Cliffs of Dover
vs Neil Diamond & Barbra Streisand - You Don't Bring Me Flowers (1978)
Both songs did not peak my interest, but the first represents its era excellently.

Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth vs Metallica ~ Enter Sandman
Both great tunes from their respective decades, but the first is just too awesome to beat.

Kaleo-Way Down We Go vs The Pixies - Ana
Kaleo is the second best thing I've discovered in music so far this year. His song is captivating.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

R1D1:

Steely Dan - Rikki Don't Lose That Number vs
Velvet Underground - Rock & Roll

Earl Hines-Stormy Monday Blues vs Lionel
Richie & Darius Rucker ~ Stuck on You

Cherry Glazerr - Told You I'd Be With the Guys
vs Crispian St. Peter's-The Pied Piper

Glenn Miller - Jukebox Saturday Night vs Alan
Jackson - Remember When (2003)

Vera Lynn - White Cliffs of Dover vs Neil
Diamond & Barbra Streisand - You Don't Bring
Me Flowers (1978)

Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth vs
Metallica ~ Enter Sandman

Cherry Glazerr - Told You I'd Be With the Guys vs Crispian St. Peter's-The Pied Piper

Vera Lynn - White Cliffs of Dover vs Neil Diamond & Barbra Streisand - You Don't Bring Me Flowers (1978)

ROUND 1 DAY 1

The first represents its decade excellently, but there's no beating the soulful voices of Lionel and Darius singing one of Lionel's best hits.
Thank you, and I agree. I will be honest about something. I don't know much about the music from the 2010 . . . 's. I kind of wish I'd ask my kids, because they know way more than I do. However, I have a personal rule about these tournaments. I won't join in, unless I actually know enough songs to nominate. My kids have nominated a few songs for me, but I knew about them, and could have easily filled in all the slots, myself. So, the 2010's, my son just showed me three songs that would have qualified, and they are good. This first song has one strange video to it, and Lou Diamond Phillips as one of the actors. Very weird.

Imagine Dragons ~ Radioactive
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ktvTqknDobU

Lorde ~ Royals
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nlcIKh6sBtc

This video and song are hilarious.

"Weird Al" Yankovic ~ Foil
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=urglg3WimHA

Vera Lynn - White Cliffs of Dover vs Neil Diamond & Barbra Streisand - You Don't Bring Me Flowers (1978)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
ROUND 1 - DAY 1

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Glenn Miller - Jukebox Saturday Night vs Alan Jackson - Remember When (2003) I do like a bit of big band music now and again but GBG has done that thing she does now and again to me, that's choose a song that is really sentimental, but kills me. I'm a bit of a sucker for those 'I still love in in spite of all the years' so thanks GBG for bringing a tear to me eye at 8am on a Sunday morning!

Thank You Christine. I love this type of song too, and it's comments like this that make losing all these tournaments worth it to me.

Thank You Christine. I love this type of song too, and it's comments like this that make losing all these tournaments worth it to me.
aww what a lovely thing to say. We are definately missing a 'hug' smilie here so I'll improvise {{{}}}

aww what a lovely thing to say. We are definately missing a 'hug' smilie here so I'll improvise {{{}}}
Looks more like the Eye of Sauron to me christine
Beware Greeks bearing false hugs Gbg