Oscar's Best Picture 2017

Tools    

Which would get your vote for Best Picture?
7.69%
3 votes
Arrival
2.56%
1 votes
Fences
7.69%
3 votes
Hacksaw Ridge
2.56%
1 votes
Hell or High Water
0%
0 votes
Hidden Figures
53.85%
21 votes
La La Land
0%
0 votes
Lion
10.26%
4 votes
Manchester by the Sea
15.38%
6 votes
Moonlight
39 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I'm not old, you're just 12.
So far all I've seen of these films is La La Land, and I loved that, but I'm going to see Hidden Figures this Thursday. I still want to see Arrival and Hell or High Water.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I've seen Arrival, Fences, Hell or High Water, Hacksaw Ridge, and Moonlight. I'll be watching La La Land and Manchester By The Sea in the next couple days. I plan on watching Lion and Hidden Figures, also.

All the nominees are worthy of winning, but I'll have to say La La Land is a clear winner.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I've seen Hacksaw Ridge and Hell or High Water.

Suspect's Reviews

I have seen all of these (shocker, I know), and I saw them all in the theater. I have seen both Manchester by the Sea and Hell or High Water twice, theatrically. To date I have seen La La Land four times. And I ain't done seeing it, yet.

Which probably gives a teeny hint for which one of the nine I like best.

"My Lord. Did you just say, 'a serious musician'?"
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I have seen 5 out of 9 so far. La La Land is my favorite and what I voted for. I was tempted to go Hell Or High Water which is a close second for me this year and doesn't seem to be getting as much love.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Much to my surprise, the theater by me is literally playing 8 of the 9 best picture nominees, bringing some of them back into the theater after they have been out. They even extended Jackie (speculating that perhaps Portman will win an Oscar for it?)

Manchester was a depressingly realistic look at life. I admired how Casey Affleck chose to play the role more grounded than one would expect. There was no "Oscar" scene where he goes for it.

Arrival was really well done. Adams holds the piece together and Villeneuve is one of the most talented restrained directors working today. Very engaging and a nice turn in the story.

Both top ten material, but for completely different reasons.

What about Affleck's gun scene in Manchester as an Oscar scene?
Didn't feel like one to me. It was a quick realistic reaction and wasn't glorified or played up. No dialogue really either, just actions.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Mark makes a good point for me. But I always thought him talking to Patrick saying he just can't shake it was the scene for me.

Must be doin sumthin right
Didn't feel like one to me. It was a quick realistic reaction and wasn't glorified or played up. No dialogue really either, just actions.
Feel like they went a little overboard with the music in that scene

“Hell will hold no surprises for you.”
I've only seen about half of these, Hell or High Water being my favorite of them so that got my vote.

Either Moonlight or La La Land will win though.

In my opinion, La La Land would be a significant step forward for the Acedemy if it wins Best Picture. Most Best Picture winners are set in the past, or don't have plots and themes that resonate with the younger generations that help drive the international box office. Too often, the Academy looks into the past with The Artist, Argo, Shakespeare In Love, The English Patient, The King's Speech, and Chicago. While some films do win that are not period pieces, like Spotlight and Birdman, they rarely represent that time and place they are set in. Now, I'm not saying that any of these films didn't deserve Best Picture (except The Artist), but they are rarely mentioned or thought about a year after they win because they can become "stuck in time". A good balance between looking backward into film history, looking forward into cinematic technique and technology, and representing your current time and place without becoming drenched in trends and fads is what usually leads to "timeless" films. I believe La La Land hits this balance perfectly.

But, I haven't seen all of the current nominees yet, soooo......

In my opinion, La La Land would be a significant step forward for the Acedemy if it wins Best Picture. Most Best Picture winners are set in the past, or don't have plots and themes that resonate with the younger generations that help drive the international box office. Too often, the Academy looks into the past with The Artist, Argo, Shakespeare In Love, The English Patient, The King's Speech, and Chicago. While some films do win that are not period pieces, like Spotlight and Birdman, they rarely represent that time and place they are set in. Now, I'm not saying that any of these films didn't deserve Best Picture (except The Artist), but they are rarely mentioned or thought about a year after they win because they can become "stuck in time". A good balance between looking backward into film history, looking forward into cinematic technique and technology, and representing your current time and place without becoming drenched in trends and fads is what usually leads to "timeless" films. I believe La La Land hits this balance perfectly.

While I agree with some of your points, I feel like a movie should win based on it's own merits, not current relevance. I liked The Social Network, and I felt it should've won when it was nominated, but that's not because it felt like a time capsule due to it tackling Facebook, or anything. I feel like it should've won just because it's a damn good movie.

La La Land felt contemporary to you? I wasn't sure when it was supposed to be taking place. That was one of it's problems, as with "Whiplash" none of it felt real to me. "Whiplash" felt artificial and contrived -- I never bought the story for a moment -- and "La La Land" feels like some kitchy concoction out of Chazzel's head that doesn't exist in real time. It felt very much like a early 80s movie to me, with it's corny montages. I absolutely hated Emma Stone's audition montages, they were so awfully retro 80s. I'm amazed to read people feel La La Land is representative of today's culture, when there wasnt a shred of today's culture present in the film. Did I miss social media, politics, technology? Any sense uncertainly with the world. Maybe that's what wowed audiences, it was so devoid of social statement and reality, it let them tune out of their lives (not that that's a bad thing, that is the point of movies.) But to say La La Land represents "today" baffles me. I think La La Land is the right title for the film for me because it felt like Chazzel's nocturnal fantasy where he's Ryan Gosling, can play jazz, and gets Emma Stone. I know I'm in the minority, but I thought it was a really mediocre movie. I think it's a novelty movie for kids who haven't seen musicals before, and worked for them as a tarted up version of "Glee" with some unoriginal art direction borrowed from the "Flashdance" era. But I ramble...

Master of My Domain
I'm amazed to read people feel La La Land is representative of today's culture, when there wasnt a shred of today's culture present in the film.
There's plenty is La La Land that is relevant today. I think it mirrors today's society: there are an increasing amount of people enjoying old genres, thanks to everything becoming more accessible. But then they face conflict when new sub-genres offer more opportunities. It represents the struggles of most 21st century artists.

Also, did you not notice the little scene where the woman is disgusted by the fact that a cafe didn't have gluten-free products? How is that not a shred of today's culture?

Welcome to the human race...
Technically, Spotlight is a period piece. It was made in 2015 but is set in the early-2000s.