Animated Shorts Hall of Fame

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm glad to see that some of you are jumping right into this, but these past few days have been a bit crazy for me, so hopefully I'll get started with a few of these this weekend.

I kind of cheated a little bit and watched a couple of early episodes of "Steven Universe" just to get a feel for the show and the characters. (I found one on YouTube that was called the pilot episode, and a different one that was listed as "season 1, episode 1", so I watched both episodes.) I've heard a little bit about the show from the fans at comic conventions, so it's nice to finally see a few episodes of the show.

I think it is a good thing that you're doing that. There's definitely not any episode requirement to enjoy the episode but it will probably give you a better chance if you are a bit familiar with the characters and general story.

Donald's Golf Game

Over the past six months or so i've been watching more Disney shorts; compared to Looney Tunes i've seen nothing so i'm really surprised that i've seen both of the Disney shorts nominated, well Der Fuerher isn't that surprising since it is pretty acclaimed but this is one of the lesser known ones. I think JJ summed this up perfectly: Donald'd nephews are buttholes haha. The best thing about Donald in my opinion is those brief moments from time to time when he becomes slightly audible; like his "this is too much" here. Man i loled so hard at that net gag, i didn't notice that's what his nephews had handed him til he took the shot, i kinda wanted to go back and see if you could but screw it great gag. Think it was my favourite moment. One thing i've found Disney often have over Warner Bros, MGM, etc, is the music in their shorts. Obviously not talking about music themed cartoons like What's Opera Doc? or Rabbit of Seville just their standard non Silly Symphonies cartoons like this, i think their music is often better. Loved the little whimsical kind of Wa-Wa noises when something went wrong for Donald and the mischievous music that was playing when his nephews were scheming, great stuff. Great ending from the underwater shot on, love the last boomerang gag; it's one of those ridiculous could only happen to Donald gags.

Great choice Clazor, really fun cartoon . I would've liked a bit more Disney nominated but i totally understand why it wasn't, i'd still say i'm a bigger fan of Looney Tunes at this point.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Ballot Box Bunny

I remember back in the late seventies they'd cut this final gag on TV with Bugs and Sam playing russian roulette and thinking just how overly sensitive people were getting about a simple cartoon.
Glad to watch it in its entirety with so many others I've been watching since we started this HOF.
This is another great "head to head", "toe to toe" with Sam and Bugs. This time around Sam is campaigning for Mayor with some funny promises about free air for everyone and with his final promise "Getting rid of all Rabbits." Well, Bugs ain't gonna have that.
Noticed a few things I never did as a kid. Like Bugs logo for mayor stating "Loyal, Lovable, LITERATE" that cracked me up.
And I finally got the end when a Horse is the new Mare and Bugs, confused, asks "Doc Horse? Mayor?" Doc Horse= DARK Horse. . . Ohhhh, NOW I get it.

I do have a side question that has always bugged me about Sam. Now I always thought it was funny that they would one time have him with hair, another without, but, what on earth is that black strip behind his eyes that run to his ears that shows up even when he's not wearing a hat?? Anybody know?

Any ole ways, a fun lil cartoon and great nom, Nope!!

Let the night air cool you off
The Great Piggy Bank Robbery (Bob Clampett, 1946)

I'll start by saying this short has the potential to be my #1 choice at the end. I love the creativity of the animation. All of the absurd villains have unforgettable features that stand out. The animation is timeless and looks just as good if not better than all of the modern animation that is allowed the comfort of computer technology. Technology is no match for creativity and innovation. I'm not even sure why I started thinking about that. I sound like an old person complaining about new computer music. Anyways, back to creativity. Creativity is the best thing about this short, and it permeates all aspects of the film. The animation is classic Looney Tunes, but the subtlety of animation down to the way Daffy's fingers move while he's holding the telephones stand out. The "follow that car" taxi gag. The film noir streets. Daffy sticking his head through the magnifying glass. Porky as the mustachioed tram operator. I just love everything about it. It has a different feel than your run-of-the-mill cartoon. Oh yeah, the trap door gag too. It seems simple after you watch it, but I really think this film is the work of genius. I don't think I could have come up with anything in this film, except for maybe one of the goons. And then I wouldn't have had a quarter of the talent required to bring that goon to life on paper.

totally agree about this one; I've actually been watching all sorts of Clampett cartoons these past few days and really have forgotten just how extraordinary the man's work was. This is the one to beat IMO

It is true. I've always been a fan of Avery and had forgotten all of Clampett's work and I gotta say, there's a new King in Town when it comes to cartoons

If it is okay with everyone FunnyFace is going to join with two awesome choices; only problem is that she only has one awesome choice right now . You should definitely bully her until she comes up with the second.

Seriously though, hope everyone is cool with it that will be it a total of 16 cartoons. I'll get the one she has sent me up in a minute. The one she has picked is a great choice but it is also a hilarious one, another member already knows about Funny Face because we had to clear it with them first . I'm gonna ask this person not to say anything yet because they are awesome and a really good sport, when i add it to the post everyone will know why.

Does it have to do with a thing with eight legs?
Yeah, it's up now. I've already watched it, don't watch the VCR version that comes up first i found a slightly better one. And hold back for a few days and i'll probably be able to get a HD one. No guarantees though.

Thanks gbg! I appreciate that you'd be willing to watch it and that it isn't too frightening for you!

Gonna get FunnyFace's other nom up in a second but i just want to say that gbg mentioned her therapy-rabbit to me and it was just about the most adorable thing i've ever heard.

Thanks gbg! I appreciate that you'd be willing to watch it and that it isn't too frightening for you!
*HOPE it isn't too frightening!

Yup! The Rauch brothers StoryCorp animations are my favorites!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

You're welcome. Thanks for checking with me first about it. I'm glad that you're joining this HoF.