Animated Shorts Hall of Fame

Tools    

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
This had me drag out some of my favourite box set and I'm so happy: My golden collection Looney tunes, my complete Tom & Jerry collection and most of all my disney shorts colleciton. It's been far too long since I watched these and I'm looking forward to skimming through them all while watching the noms. It's a good bet I'll be watching a few more than just the noms though

Got Clazors noms up now, again great choices . Actually might be the favourite of the lot because they are offbeat and not as canonized (and thus overwatched by me at least) as the rest. Donalds Golf Game in particular is a great choice; i think with Looney Tunes i largely match up with the canonized choices of course i think some are under/overrated but for the most part those are my favourites too but i don't really match up to the Disney consensus. Some of their canonized ones like The Band Concert and The Old Mill while good aren't among my favourites; i've found i often like the lesser known ones like Chef Donald and just about any Goofy Short with empathis on his How To Series.

Of the 14 shorts we've ended up with:

Two Disney
Three MGM
Seven Warner Bros (not all Bugs/Daffy though)
One Cartoon Network
and i'm not sure what The Monkey and the Monk is?

I think i may be the only member other than tat to have watched any of Steven Universe. I'd hope everyone goes into it with an open mind. I read what the episode is about and i haven't seen it, but i must've watched about 40 segments of the show with one of my nephews. It's absolutely a kids show, i don't expect anyone to want to run out and watch the rest of it after this segment (i only watch it if i'm with my nephew and he wants to) but i found it surprisingly funny and emotional for a kids show. The thing is Steven is a little loud and obnoxious at first and if this is your first segment that will probably stick out and get on your nerves; you get used to it though and the reasons he's like that are told to you and not in a kids show way of spelling it out but rather by finding out a bit more of his backstory. It's not complex or anything but i'd argue the underlying themes and emotion present in the show is for the age-group the show is aimed at. Also Pearl is awesome

Anyway, you can start whenever you want. No deadline as long as people aren't taking too long. Have fun!

Let the night air cool you off
Der Fuehrer's Face (Jack Kinney, 1943)

One of my nominations.

A lot of people are not very fond of propaganda, but personally, I think propaganda is okay when it is anti-Nazi propaganda. If you don't like this film then you obviously are a fan of Hitler. And as far as I know, there is only one fan of Hitler on these forums. This is an excellent film, unless you love Adolf Hitler. Don't love Adolf Hitler, love Der Fuehrer's Face.

A fittingly scathing bit of parody of Nazi Germany that pulls no punches.

The Great Piggy Bank Robbery

The reason i wanted to do this again is that i've been re-watching Bob Clampett's work for the first time in ages recently and i think he is my favourite Animation Director. He's usually quickly dismissed from the conversation because one of his most praised shorts: Coal Black and De Sebben Dwarfs (which is fantastically made) is horribly racist but the problem with that is that all of the classic short directors dabbled in racist or otherwise offensive cartoons; i think personally they are best viewed as a time capsule of a horrible time but nevertheless expertly made. Clampett's other work is so consistent it is absurd, he didn't make as much as Avery, Jones, Freleng, Hanna/Barbera, etc, but i don't think any of them came up with such a high percentage of greatness either personally.

Honestly i find it difficult to put into words how much i adore the animation in this short, if i get the chance i'll put together a post later with screenshots of exactly what i'm talking about. Seriously watch the first thirty seconds with Daffy, his hiding behind the mailbox then later poking just his eyes round it, his talking to us and even the movement of the mailman and the letters is absurdly fluid. I'm not going to complain about modern animation here because plenty of it i love but there's somthing about you knowing this was made by human beings with their hands that makes everything especially the flaws and imperfections so amazing compared to the push a button and generate a perfect image nowadays. Personally this era of Looney Tunes is my favourite Animation of all time because it is not perfect in the slightest; you could point out loads of weird animation defects in this episode if you cared to look at it frame by frame (i have with this short before and quite a few others) nowadays pretty much everything has moved at least partially to CGI which is fine to an extent because it often looks beautiful but personally i'd take the look of The Great Piggy Bank Robbery over any film that uses CGI; some of those are better in content but to me you can't beat the actual Animation (movement) in these cartoons.

Anyway i went off on one there haha. Daffy here is amazing, i've always heard arguments over what is better the more wacky Daffy (like here) or the mean Daffy (basically all of his most famous shorts); for me it's Sophie's Choice because the animation was always much better with the wacky one but the mean one probably has my favourite moments. Here is the wacky one utilized perfectly in my opinion. It's an extremely erratic collection of gags and i think the way they are presented they can never get old; a more balanced short has periods without jokes that decreases the total number of jokes; which is fine What's Opera Doc for example have periods that aren't that funny but are great anyway because of the music, drama, etc. The ones that remain funny always are ones like this that are chock full of jokes to the point that you can't really remember what is coming up, i mean the part with Daffy with the magnifying glass is what 1 minute, 20 seconds? Yeah, i think that part has more jokes in it than some episodes of comedy shows it loves, and i personally find it really funny so my laughing always makes me miss the further part of that scene. I remember Daffy following the footsteps up the wall and ceiling was my favourite 'breaking possibilities' scene when i was a kid; again it's coz of the animation it's just how seamless him going up the wall is when it could've been an awkward transition where you see his body (or the wall) moving on its side. The part with the enemies is just some of the best slapstick ever and some of the best animation too. Daffy de-materializing to exit the door in particular is fantastic.

Sorry if this is rambling, i can guarantee none of my other write-ups will be this length; this one means alot to me and is the main reason i started this up again. I personally think it is one of the greatest pieces of animation ever.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
actually watched Der Fuehrer's Face a year or two ago and since I don't love Hitler--- lol

helluva write up Camo. And I know exactly what you mean when it comes to animation done by hand than by pushing a button.
Clampett was pretty wild with his work and this one really lets loose and showcases it beautifully.

The Great Piggy Bank Robbery

Reading Camo's review got me hyped up to watch this. To quote the closing line: "I LooOOOOVVve that duck!"

This cartoon is brilliant in its surreal lunacy, especially upon reaching the Gangster Hangout and Daffy-- forgive me, Lucas is at his... huh, hmm...... Lucas-y-ist??? Sure, why not,
And this does bring up a similar point: Daffy Duck or Mean Duck? Frickin hard choice. Daffy being daffy is fantastic while Daffy being mean has so many iconic moments such as being greedy in the Alladin spoof: Ali Baba Bunny claiming to be a "Happy miser," can NOT be dismissed. So, like Camo, it's hard to pick. But since we have Daffy's daffiness running wonderfully rampant this is an excellent short displaying both that AND Clampett's off the wall-ness.

Der Fuehrer's Face

Propaganda is a bad thing obviously, but i don't think the fact it is propoganda should play into anyones valuation of art. If it offends you, or is just not clever or funny then yeah it's not something for you but if you genuinely find it intuitive or funny (like i do) then i don't see why you should have to pretend otherwise.

The animation in this is unreal (unreal meaning great haha), probably because the images getting put onto the screen even at the time were objectionable and the people hiring out these studios during war-time wanted those scenes to remain with whoever watched them. They were aiming for the Looney Tunes/Disney/ Cartoons/ fans at the time with their propaganda; personally i don't see how it would've been effective in anyway, if any of you disagree bring this part up i think i'm baffled at the idea of it working on anyone but whatever.

The full thing is ridiculously well animated and fun as long as you aren't actually taking anything the episode is saying in. I think it is amazing when you consider that this is 'don't be a Nazi' morals; we can turn it into whatever we want now but the point in this cartoon was always supposed to be how horrible the Nazi's were so don't join them. And this was before the Holocaust was really known about. My favourite moment is probably Donald flipping upside down to "heil hitler" on the conveyor belt. The craziness at the end is probably unmatched in any animation ever, so great choice JJ.

Hair-raising Hare

Here is an excellent example of varying styles with the many directors of Looney Tunes. Chuck Jones has a more grandiose, cinematic style with a deep love for Hollywood icons and for vaudeville. We see this with a mad scientist mimicking Peter Lorre to the Groucho Marx walk that Bugs uses. Also, the stages are quite impressive and Jones does not cut corners on drawing backgrounds when at all possible.
This is a big favorite of mine with The Monster and the nail-polishing scene along with so many others. There are some great "fourth wall breaking" moments to boot.

Thanks for nominating this, GB!

Steven Universe

Tat, you are my favourite for picking a Pearl Segment I did make a big post explaining and defending the show though because i think it is worth more than it will probably be judged by this segment. The one i seen with Amethyt's backstory; how she is barely kept in place (sanity-wise) without Stevens mum, but like the others she is trying her hardest to bring him up right like his super-mum would have. Is the one i would've used to try and create fans of the show from. Pearl is definitely the best and most interesting character on the show though so again

About the actual segment; i love Pearl so much every episode that isn't about Pearl is still about Pearl to me she is always hilarious and she reminds me of Marge Simpson so much. Easily the best character on the show. This was really funny, coz just watch Pearl at all times don't take your eyes off her the rest is just as meaningless but not nearly as funny. There's so many segments that are based on Pearl trying to fit in with Steven and Ameryth and they are always the best; it's crazy that a segment completely without Garrett is as great as it is but whatever

Thanks for picking a Pearl episode, tat

Transylvania 6-5000

I hadn't seen this one in years. Last time i nominated The Scarlett Pumpernickel that starts with a similar dark beginning, i remember those two always coming up in the Halloween special nights. Neither are scary of course but i like how this one gets right to the jokes with Bugs hitting his head. I'm not the biggest fan of this later characterization of Bugs if i'm honest; the naive guy who wins anyways. Bugs should win i'm with that but i don't like him being as oblivious as he is here, he's best when he understands what is going on but he is leading the enemy to believe he doesn't. Here he is just invincible Bugs who survives everything. Whatever he's funny but when he's not aware of what is happening or is the main instigator of what is happening; i drop out a bit. Still a funny cartoon and an interesting look into Looney Tunes inserted into the horribly animated later Hanna Barbera World.

It's pretty funny but i hate the animation so much, sorry gbg.

But since we have Daffy's daffiness running wonderfully rampant this is an excellent short displaying both that AND Clampett's off the wall-ness.
Glad you liked it mate. I think Daffy is possibly better wacky when it is focused on him and he is better mean when he is sharing the cartoon with someone else? Obviously with a few exceptions both ways.

So glad to see another person that watches SU! And thanks for the post supporting the episode and your review, it was quite interesting. Yes I remember the one of Amethyst (I can't spell it) another one with her that was really intense was the one with Greg. Pearl doesn't have the best relationship with Greg either, I'm really glad he won the lottery lol.

About the family some people say each one is a type of Mom: Amy (Cool Mom) Earl (Responsible Mom) Garnet (I know everything Mom, or sometimes Best Mom as she is everyone's favorite ) though for me it's just like that but Amy is like you said, more like a sister. Funny how Peri and Lapis are kind of Aunts and live in a farm. Also sometimes Greg seems like the most responsible person since he is the only adult human

I also agree with you about the show, it's really emotive for a kid's show. I would love more plot episodes though. They just "leaked" 5 episodes that are supposed to have been air in purpose, they were for the 30th. I just download them since I have a long trip tomorrow. I'm sorry if I don't participate just yet. I just travel today, and I will tomorrow and the following day as well. I'm going with my dad and brother to Chile by car and it's pretty damn far. So I will try to watch them shortly! Maybe tomorrow I have some time with internet.

I also love this SU meme :

When is the due date?
As i said, there's not one. Same as last time as long as you are being reasonable i'm fine with everyone going at their on pace. There's only seven of us and about 110 minutes of viewing time so it shouldn't take too long.

Great post tat . I've not seen as much as you; i only watch it with my nephew if he wants to as i said. Another excellent segment in my opinion was the one that Amy (we'll call her that coz i also can't spell her name without looking it up) and Greg get addicted to watching a tv show together; Pearl and Garnett are against it and Steven doesn't understand why; it turns out a big point in revealing Amy and Steven's mums relationship.