Like, a whole bunch of posts lately

Tools    

This is now the third highest yearly post total we've ever had, and we've still got over three and a half months to go. Even with a dramatic slowdown, we're likely to pass the all-time record (2010) with room to spare. And we'll probably pass the second-highest (2009) in five or six weeks.

Worth noting that the stats I have don't count the site's first few years, and 2002 was pretty busy, but I'm pretty confident it wasn't busy enough, from memory, to crack the top two or three years.

I just found the forum and it looks like a pretty cool tightly nit community of people. Has there been an increase in new user creation to coincide with this post spike?

I just found the forum and it looks like a pretty cool tightly nit community of people. Has there been an increase in new user creation to coincide with this post spike?
Actually, I've noticed that there's been quite a few new users lately, but I'm still pretty new myself, so I don't know if it's out of the ordinary. Some just make accounts to spam things, and others don't stick around too long.

It's hard to say, because there are a lot of bot accounts. We have a number of measures in place to stop them from doing anything, and it's not nearly as bad as it used to be, but it does make it hard to say exactly how many legitimate users are signing up, so we're usually left to go on feel.

If necessary, I can run some more advanced reports that filter for posts and the like to try to get a better picture, but that's a bit more elaborate. My guess is that there's been a bit more in the way of new users, but that it's more about existing users posting more.

On the outside looking in.
I just found the forum and it looks like a pretty cool tightly nit community of people.

Like you I found this forum only recently. I love MovieForums.com because it's drama-free. Everyone gets along splendidly, allowing for the free exchange of ideas and opinions. I give this forum five out of five stars!

I won't lie, I came here wanting to let people know about my movie, but of all the forums I found, this is the one I'm taking off the 'salesman' hat. I like the posts and the conversation seems good. Now I'm just concerned with it being swarmed by spam and bots. (go figure)

Funny, I found this today too. I usually talk movies in IRC but I'm usually hijacking the conversation, figured I should find people as obsessed as I am, haha.

We had an influx of spam about a year ago... but Yoda put some extra security on the site and it seems to have put a stop to most of it.

We do get spam from time to time, but members on here are pretty switched on to it and there is a Report Post button on posts... so if a member reports a post, admin get a notification to check it out... but if two members were to report a post, it temporarily disappears from the forum and goes to admin for judgment.

Pretty good system.

It is a good site though. I came on MoFo to carry out a hobby of reviewing films...

... and ended up staying for what is coming up to 2 years and 5000 posts of pure junk.
Speaking of which, I'm approaching the 5k mark.

Update! We've passed 2009 a few days ago and this is now the second-highest yearly post total in the site's history, behind only 2010. And with nearly three full months left to go, that mark should fall with room to spare! Especially once we move onto the new server.

There it is! Sometime a little after midnight last night, this became the year with the most posts in MoFo history! And we've still got a whole two months to spare. Thanks everyone! The new mark should be really impressive, and hopefully it'll be accompanied by the new look soon enough.

Quick update: obviously, since we broke the yearly post record almost two months ago, we've just been piling on. And the new record is going to finish more than 20% (probably even closer to 25%) higher than the old one, which is a huge jump. Thanks again, everyone!

A system of cells interlinked
Crazy!

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Sexy Celeb take credit for breaking record.