My Random 2017 Oscar Thoughts

Tools    

OK, let's get this out of the way right now...the biggest faux pas in the history of Oscar could have been avoided and I'm still a little unclear as to where the blame lies, but I think it has to rest on more than one shoulder. I'm sorry, but partial blame has to go to presenter Warren Beatty...it was obvious from the second he opened the envelope, the look on his face made it clear that he KNEW he had the wrong envelope. Instead of signaling someone backstage that he had the wrong envelope, he shoved it into Faye's face and all she did was read the title of the film, which is the largest print on the card and probably all she could read without her glasses. This was bad enough, but after Faye announced the winner, we waited for ALL of those people to come to the stage and we waded through three different acceptance speeches, before it was actually revealed that Moonlight was the winner?!? Seriously? The La La Land people handled the awkwardness with class but it never should have happened,,,what is the point of the Academy hiring Price/Waterhouse if stuff like this can happen? The Academy has been doing this for 90 years, there was no excuse for this. Now as for the rest of the ceremony:

BEST HOST ROASTING: Jimmy Kimmel's jabs at Matt Damon and Meryl Streep were hysterical.

BEST DRESSED- Marashala Ali, Kate McKinnon, Taraji P. Henson, Mark Rylance (what was up with that hat?), Viola Davis, Hailee Steinfeld, Salma Hayek, David Oyelowo, Leslie Mann, Emma Stone, Samuel L. Jackson, Jennifer Aniston

FUNNIEST PRESENTER BANTER: Kate McKinnon and Jason Bateman; Charlize Theron and Shirley MacLaine; John Cho & Leslie Mann

WORST DRESSED: Octavia Spencer, Meryl Streep (an annual entry on this list), Scarlett Johanssen

BEST ACCEPTANCE SPEECHES: Viola Davis (she made me cry), Casey Affleck, Damian Chazelle

BIGGEST WASTES OF TIME: Passing out junior mints to the audience and bringing tourists inside the ceremony...if there's one program that doesn't need any time fillers, it's this one. Actually, the thing with the tourists was kind of an awesome idea, but it didn't really payoff. For the most part, these tourists seemed pretty unimpressed to be at the Oscars...I would have been jumping up and down screaming.

BEST TIME WASTER: Mean Tweets...that was a riot.

BEST PERFORMANCE OF NOMINATED SONG: John Legend performing "Audition" and "City of Stars"