Oscar's Best Director 2017

Tools    

The Oscar voters' choices for Best Director. Which is yours?
47.06%
8 votes
Damien Chazelle, LA LA LAND
5.88%
1 votes
Mel Gibson, HACKSAW RIDGE
17.65%
3 votes
Barry Jenkins, MOONLIGHT
23.53%
4 votes
Kenneth Lonergan, MANCHESTER BY THE SEA
5.88%
1 votes
Denis Villeneuve, ARRIVAL
17 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Here are the five nominees for Best Director.

Damien Chazelle, La La Land
Mel Gibson, Hacksaw Ridge
Barry Jenkins, Moonlight
Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester By the Sea
Denis Villeneuve, Arrival

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Mel Gibson actually got nominated. I'm pretty surprised the Academy is even acknowledging him again. Good on him I've always thought he was a fantastic Director & Actor. I haven't seen Hacksaw Ridge yet but I've been meaning to for a while.

I voted for Chazelle because everyone and their mama seem to be crapping their pants over him and his movie lately, but I would love for Villeneuve or Jenkins to take it.

Mel Gibson is the biggest surprise in what is probably the safest bunch of Oscar nominations in recent memory in all categories. Not upset about it, but undeserved, at least to me, despite the fact that I like Gibson's films, and Hacksaw Ridge well enough. My pick is Jenkins, but it'll probably go to Chazelle, and I'm fine with that.

Now that I'm thinking about it, why wasn't Mel Gibson's beard nominated for anything?
That thing is majestic and most likely sentient.
All his anti-semistism went to his beard.

Four of these nominees mirror the DGA Award nominees: Chazelle, Jenkins, Lonergan, and Villeneuve. While it's not that big a surprise that the DGA's fifth choice Garth Davis (Lion) didn't make the Oscar cut, it is surely the biggest surprise of the day that Mad Mel Gibson filled that slot instead. Not surprising in that he is already an Oscar winner for Braveheart of course, but surprising because of his more recent drunken angry meltdowns filled with racist, anti-semitic, and sexist rants and other horrible publicity that made him a virtual pariah in the industry for a few years there. But if there's anything Hollywood likes more than a meltdown, it's a comeback.

Veteran Oscar-winning filmmakers Martin Scorsese with his passion project Silence (which got only one nomination, for Best Cinematography) and Clint Eastwood with his hit Sully (only one nom, for Best Achievement in Sound Editing) didn't make the cut, nor did presumptive also-rans like Jeff Nichols (Loving and Midnight Special), Pablo Larraín (Jackie), Tom Ford (Nocturnal Animals), and Best Picture nominees Denzel Washington (Fences), Ted Melfi (Hidden Figures), or David Mackenzie (Hell or High Water).

But that's the drama of only having five slots!

I don't think Mel has the slightest chance of actually winning his second Best Director Oscar this year, but as far gone as he was out of the limelight other than as a punchline, obviously this nomination is incredibly reaffirming for him and his career possibilities. At least unless/until he falls off the wagon.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	mel.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	28594  

As much as I'd love to see Mel Gibson win just to shut up all the naysayers, Damien will win this easily for La La Land.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Damien Chazelle did in fact win the DGA Award over the weekend. La La Land is the big favorite to win Best Picture, and assuming it does will Chazelle also be named Best Director? Is there another split coming?

From 1950 to 1997 there were only six times where the Best Director didn't come from the Best Picture. Six times in forty-seven years. Which probably isn't so surprising, that when voters filled out their ballots they assessed the person who directed the best movie also did the best job directing. The six times they did make a distinction in all those years...

1951: An American in Paris/George Stevens (A Place in the Sun)
1952: The Greatest Show on Earth/John Ford (The Quiet Man)
1967: In the Heat of the Night/Mike Nichols (The Graduate)
1972: The Godfather/Bob Fosse (Cabaret)
1981: Chariots of Fire/Warren Beatty (Reds)
1989: Driving Miss Daisy/Oliver Stone (Born on the Fourth of July)

Since then it has become more common, though it is still not the norm. After only six instances in nearly fifty years, since 1998 it has already happened seven times in those eighteen years of Oscars, including three of the last four...

1998: Shakespeare in Love/Steven Spielberg (Saving Private Ryan)
2000: Gladiator/Steven Soderbergh (Traffic)
2002: Chicago/Roman Polanski (The Pianist)
2005: Crash/Ang Lee (Brokeback Mountain)
2012: Argo/Ang Lee (Life of Pi)
2013: 12 Years a Slave/Alfonso Cuarón (Gravity)
2015: Spotlight/Alejandro González Iñárritu (The Revenant)

Even with the increased frequency, the Director and Picture are usually still the same. Will there be a split this time, or even major surprises like La La Land and Chazelle both losing?

Mel Gibson's comeback is complete with the acclaim and high profile noms Hacksaw Ridge received, none more validating or surprising than making the cut as one of the five nominees here. I suspect Gibson has extremely little chance of bringing home another Best Director Oscar to put next to the one he earned for Braveheart at the 1996 ceremony, but this is surely a time where being nominated was an honor in and of itself.

Mel Gibson was the only of the five to have a previous nomination in this category.

Denis Villeneuve's Incindies got nominated for Best Foreign Language Feature at the 2011 ceremony. It lost to Susanne Bier's Danish entry In a Better World, but it was the international hit that put him on a lot of people's radar, including those in Hollywood. Since then his films have been American financed and seem to be getting more and more ambitious. First with Prisoners, then Enemy, Sicario, and now Arrival. He has arrived. Not only was Arrival that rare genre movie that pleased audiences, critics, and the people who hand out high profile nominations, but it seems to have inspired Denis to tackle more Science Fiction. 2017 will see the release of the long delayed and until he was attached to the project not very anticipated sequel Blade Runner 2049. Before that has even been seen by the public comes word that he will be taking a second shot at adapting Frank Herbert's legendary Dune for the big screen. Neither Villeneuve nor Arrival will win this year, but if he wasn't already a filmmaker who's work you highly anticipated, it seems as though the next few years will be him daring you not to.

Villeneuve, who hails from Montréal, is the ninth Canadian to get a Best Director nomination (fourteen overall noms). The others were Edward Dymytrk, Mark Robson (2 noms), Norman Jewison (3 noms), Arthur Hiller, Atom Egoyan, Paul Haggis, Jason Reitman (2 noms), and James Cameron (2 noms), with Cameron's win for Titanic being the only Canuck victory, to date.

Kenneth Lonergan made his name in the indie film world with his directorial debut, You Can Count on Me (2000). It garnered many prizes and earned him his first Oscar nomination, for original screenplay. It would be another decade before he would make his second feature, Margaret, but he was writing plays and got a second nomination as a screenwriter for his work on Scorsese's Gangs of New York. Manchester by the Sea is only his third film, even more critically acclaimed than his debut, and nominated as both the director and the screenwriter. Odds are he won't win as Best Director this time, but I hope he finds inspiration to make films more than once every six or ten years.

Barry Jenkins is another writer/director who made his mark this past year. His first feature, Medicine for Melancholy (2008), did well on the art film circuit, but it never broke through to the mainstream. On first flush Moonlight probably didn't seem like it had potential to do much more, either. But this stylized yet authentic coming-of-age story was too compelling and interesting not to be enjoyed by wider audiences. Its reputation kept growing and growing until this small budget very personal effort was being deemed a shoe-in for big Oscar nominations.

Barry is only the fourth black man to be nominated in this category, joining John Singleton (Boyz N the Hood), Lee Daniels (Precious), and Steve McQueen (12 Years a Slave), and he is the first to ever get the trifecta of Best Picture, Best Director, and a Best Screenplay nominations. I don't know how many more tales Jenkins has in him, but with the success of Moonlight he's definitely going to get the opportunity to make them as movies in coming years. If they are anywhere near as special as Moonlight, he'll be back at the Oscars.

La La Land is only Damien Chzelle's third feature. He wanted it to be his second. After getting the micro-budgeted Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench made, which was almost a sort of dry run at similar themes on a less ambitious scale, he shopped La La Land around as a screenplay for years without any takers. A Musical? Not only that, but an ORIGINAL Musical, and not one based on a Broadway hit or existing property? No thanks. So he went to plan-B, which was to write a screenplay with less intricate production that could be financed and made cheaply. Based on some of his own experiences as a musician, that project was Whiplash, which was first made as a short to secure the financing, and after it became a feature two years ago it had the kind of success Moonlight enjoyed this year, culminating in five Oscar nominations, including Best Picture, his Best Screenplay, and J.K. Simmons' win for his ferocious work as Best Supporting Actor.

And all of that led to somebody finally saying yes to La La Land. I doubt that even at their most optimistic many people involved with the production allowed themselves to think about being an Oscar frontrunner, but Chazelle's passion project has translated into legions of fans, including Academy voters. I don't think there will be any surprises come Oscar night in regards to Picture or Director. They're both going to La La Land. If he does win, Damien Chazelle will be the youngest person to ever win Best Director. He just turned 32 on January 19th. Ever since the 1931 ceremony the record holder as youngest director to win was Norman Taurog, who won for Skippy. He was 32-years-old as well, but 32 and about nine months when he won. Chazelle will be 32 and about five weeks. The next two youngest were Lewis Milestone (Two Arabian Knights) who was 33 and about seven months old and Sam Mendes (American Beauty) who clocked in at 34 and 8 months when he picked up his Oscar.

Before Whiplash Damien Chazelle was an unknown kid. After his Oscar coronation in a few weeks he will officially take the title of wunderkind. It will be exciting to see what else he can bring his sensibility and talents to. His next project is slated to be First Man, adapted from the non-fiction best seller about Neil Armstrong with Ryan Gosling set to play the astronaut. It does not appear to be a Musical, but we shall see. If anyone could pull it off, it'd be Chazelle.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I still havent seen it but my money is on Mel for a comeback. He spent enough time in purgatory for his shenanigans.

This is the one Oscar that I think La La Land really deserves...Chazelle's direction is absolutely brilliant and far superior to his work in Whiplash. Chazelle proved that he knows exactly what a musical should look like and make it marketable for a new millenium audience. I wouldn't be upset if Kenneth Lonergan won though.

Well, two things continued. First and foremost, the DGA Award remains far and away the single best predictor to its corollary Oscar. There was surprise and confusion at the very end of the night, but Best Director was no surprise at all. Damien Chazelle is now the youngest winner in this category, ever, displacing Norman Taourog who was also thirty-two but about seven months older than Damien when he won Best Director for Skippy waaay back in 1931. That record stood for a looooooong time. Clint Eastwood's second win, for Million Dollar Baby, has him as the oldest winner, a few months shy of being seventy-five.

The other trend that continued is that there was yet another Director/Picture split!

As detailed above, from 1950 until 1997 there were only six splits:

1951: An American in Paris/George Stevens (A Place in the Sun)
1952: The Greatest Show on Earth/John Ford (The Quiet Man)
1967: In the Heat of the Night/Mike Nichols (The Graduate)
1972: The Godfather/Bob Fosse (Cabaret)
1981: Chariots of Fire/Warren Beatty (Reds)
1989: Driving Miss Daisy/Oliver Stone (Born on the Fourth of July)

Six in nearly fifty years. Since then there have now been eight in the past nineteen Oscars, including four of the last five! That is nuts.

1998: Shakespeare in Love/Steven Spielberg (Saving Private Ryan)
2000: Gladiator/Steven Soderbergh (Traffic)
2002: Chicago/Roman Polanski (The Pianist)
2005: Crash/Ang Lee (Brokeback Mountain)
2012: Argo/Ang Lee (Life of Pi)
2013: 12 Years a Slave/Alfonso Cuarón (Gravity)
2015: Spotlight/Alejandro González Iñárritu (The Revenant)
2016: Moonlight/Damien Chazelle (La La Land)

I have no guess as to whether maybe all levels of moviegoers, including those in the industry itself who vote for the Oscars, are becoming more sophisticated and that is making this distinction of what exactly top flight direction entails apart from the film you think is best overall, or if the weighted/instant run-off voting for Best Picture is creating a natural separation between these two categories, categories that for so long seemed almost automatically linked?

But you can't ignore those numbers. That is a clear trend. We'll see over the next decade if this is the new normal or if this period is going to be an anomaly?

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	damien.png
Views:	325
Size:	371.0 KB
ID:	29128