Animated Shorts Discussion

Tools    

Told gbg the other day that i'd make this thread so here we are. I don't know how much interest there will continue to be but me and gbg want to make the Looney Tunes/Animated Short HOF a semi-regular thing. We just finished the Animated Shorts HOF so there will of course be a decent break this is just to discuss some issues gbg brought up and to be a general discussion for them if they do become a semi-regular thing; there's also the Looney Tunes HOF. So hopefully people who have taken part in those that would be interested in more will take part in this thread, and anyone new who would be interested in joining the next one. If someone else wants to host the next one if we do end up doing it, i'm fine with that.

The main thing that gbg brought up was her problem with too many Sam shorts being nominated last time. I pointed out that only 3/16 shorts were featuring Sam and none were in the Looney Tunes HOF. Anyway the discussion starts here in my Animated Shorts Review thread in case anyone wants to read it and chime in - http://www.movieforums.com/community...27#post1649027

I also worked out how many times characters have been used in both

Big character appearances in the Animated Shorts HOF:

Der Fuehrers Face (Donald (1))
King-Size Canary (none)
The Cat Concerto (Tom & Jerry (1))
The Great Piggy Bank Robbery (Daffy (1))
Steven Universe Season 4 Episode 6 "Last One Out of Beach City" (none)
"The Monk & The Monkey" (none)
A Tale of Two Kitties (Tweety (1)
Little Rural Riding Hood (none)
Transylvania 6-5000 (Bugs (1)
Hair-Raising Hare (Bugs (2)
Big House Bunny (Bugs (3), Sam (1)
Ballot Box Bunny (Bugs (4), Sam (2)
Captain Hareblower (Bugs (5), Sam (3)
Donald's Golf Game (Donald (2)
Cobweb Hotel (none)
StoryCorps - Danny & Annie (none)

Bugs - 5
Sam - 3
Donald - 2
Looney Tunes HOF

Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 Century: Daffy (1), Porky (1), Marvin (1)
Duck Amuck: Daffy (2), Bugs (1)*
Rabbit Seasoning: Daffy (3), Bugs (2), Elmer (1)
Drip-Along Daffy: Daffy (4), Porky (2)
The Scarlet Pumpernickel: Daffy (5), Porky (3), Elmer (2), Sylvester (1)
Rabbit of Seville: Bugs (3), Elmer (3)
Baseball Bugs: Bugs (4)
Long-Haired Hare: Bugs (5)
One Froggy Evening: None
Operation Rabbit: Bugs (6), Wile (1)
Carrotblanca: Bugs (7), Daffy (6), Sylvester (2), Sam (1), others (their only appearance)
Pappy's Puppy: Sylvester (3)

Bugs - 7
Daffy - 6
Porky - 3
Sylvester - 3
Elmer - 3

* Does Bugs in Duck Amuck even count? Take one off him if you want.
So yeah, just talk about whatever to do with these hall of fames in this thread.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
A continual one sounds excellent and making a conscious effort to explore other characters is pretty reasonable and a nice challenge as well. So I am in!! lol

A continual one sounds excellent and making a conscious effort to explore other characters is pretty reasonable and a nice challenge as well. So I am in!! lol
Nah, we'll do different ones. Like there'll be an Animated Short HOF 2. A continual one would die i think, people would inevitably lose interest. This thread is to discuss any problems/suggestions you have to do with the HOFs like the one gbg brought up that i mentioned.

I gotcha camo.
Being on my phone today I won't be very articulate but I will joining in on further conversations about this.

And JJ, haven't seen any Russian cartoons, so, sure.

Anything 10 minute or under is allowed, and if the majority wants the time extended we'll do that. This all stemmed from me and @gbgoodies constantly breaking out into Looney Tunes discussions and someone (Sean?) jokingly saying we should do a Hall of Fame. Well we showed whoever it was that said that

Let the night air cool you off
I think sub-ten minute cartoons are fine for a hof, but every now and again we maybe should allow for some longer ones. There are some good 30 minute shorts out there.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The main thing that gbg brought up was her problem with too many Sam shorts being nominated last time. I pointed out that only 3/16 shorts were featuring Sam and none were in the Looney Tunes HOF. Anyway the discussion starts here in my Animated Shorts Review thread in case anyone wants to read it and chime in - http://www.movieforums.com/community...27#post1649027

Just to make it clear to anyone who hasn't read through my comments in the other thread, my problem with having three Yosemite Sam shorts in that HoF was nothing against the character himself. It's just that those shorts are all so similar that it felt like I was watching basically the same cartoon over and over again. (It didn't affect their placement in my ranking because they all rated fairly high on my list, but they are just so similar that they just felt kind of repetitive.)

I'm not trying to change the rules to stop anyone from nominating whatever cartoons they want to nominate. I'm just trying to get suggestions to get more variety in the future HoFs.

Camo suggested the possibility of each person only being allowed to nominate one Looney Tunes short, plus one non-Looney Tunes short, or maybe limiting it by character, so each person could only nominate one Bugs Bunny short (as an example). This sounds like it might add some variety to the HoFs, whether it's a rule or just a suggestion. Does anyone have any thoughts on this idea?

I think sub-ten minute cartoons are fine for a hof, but every now and again we maybe should allow for some longer ones. There are some good 30 minute shorts out there.

I'm okay with extending the time to allow longer shorts in the HoF. Maybe we could have a total time cap, so each person could nominate two shorts, totaling up to 45 minutes worth of shorts, (as an example)? That would allow longer shorts, but not fill the entire HoF with all longer shorts.

I'm okay with extending the time to allow longer shorts in the HoF. Maybe we could have a total time cap, so each person could nominate two shorts, totaling up to 45 minutes worth of shorts, (as an example)? That would allow longer shorts, but not fill the entire HoF with all longer shorts.
I'm okay with that idea if that's what you want to do but you do know that will result in alot less classic cartoons, right?

I'm okay with that idea if that's what you want to do but you do know that will result in a lot less classic cartoons, right?

Yes, I know that, but it will also add some variety too. That's why I suggested putting a cap on the total time. That way we won't get all extended shorts, and we should still have some classic shorts too.

We don't have to allow extended shorts in all the HoFs, but it might be a nice change once in a while.

Yes, I know that, but it will also add some variety too. That's why I suggested putting a cap on the total time. That way we won't get all extended shorts, and we should still have some classic shorts too.

We don't have to allow extended shorts in all the HoFs, but it might be a nice change once in a while.
That's cool then. A HOF with a 45 minute (or whatever) max would be interesting and would probably attract more members. Think JJ and Ed are the other regulars so wait and see what they think of it haha.

I had a great time in the animated shorts and voting on the tournament and feel kinda honored to join in on this for a lil brainstorming.

The initial concern is staying clear of repetitiveness and the suggestion that there be a variety of actual HOF's to keep an invested interest is excellent.
Being a big fan of classic cartoons I do enjoy the shorter ones and while extending the time to 45 min either collectively or singularly will definitely open up possibilities and one I'd join in on - as a variant on creating other HOF/Tournaments much like is done for movies and music.
Animated shorts (under 15 min) and those that have longer running times (45 min and above) are kind of a different breed and would make things rather difficult to vote/judge when pitting an 8 min VS one that was over half an hour in the same thread. So I firmly think that the time restraint would be great for expanding on different HOF's, not so much for an already established HOF.

The concern for repetitiveness is a valid one and we can easily look to past HOFs of music and movies to address that by coming up with themes or specific genres. Just by doing this offers all kinds of possibilities.
From what I see there is a restraint on winners and runner ups and while this is very new and expanding the restraint to already nominated, it may cause further problems and aggravations as people wander through building lists only to back out simply because it's an utter chore trying to FIND a nom that hasn't been offered up already.
A sample of this was this weekend I was curious to join the decades song tournament and just having to read through the winners and runner ups while picking out noms was quite a read. (KUDOS for the person who put it together though, a truly amazing achievement to continually tally that)

So leaving it to winners/runner up and perhaps a listing of noms like the movie HOFs should suffice with the restraint on the winners and/or runners ups only. Leaving the list of noms to whether or not any given participate wants to re-nominate or find something new.

To more address the concern for repetitiveness we should also follow a working formula by creating themes or specifying genres on any given HOF with the Host offering a guideline of what they are hoping to achieve and what they wish not to repeat.
We achieve variation without the price of setting restrictions beyond any given Host's personal guidelines on running any given HOF/Tournament.

So, we can have HOFs with: varying time restraints, specified Themes regarding genres, production companies, decades, characters, subject matter and on and on and on.

Such are my initial thoughts and considerations for possible solutions. . .

I'd be interested. I've been slowing breezing through the Disney shorts as of late as they appeal to me a bit more than the Warner Bros ones, despite the fact that I think they're funnier, but I love them all.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
I'd be very much interested in the longer options of cartoons, though as Ed said, it might be hard to pit an 8 min short against a 20 min episode of something, but sticking to specific guidelines should help with that, as previously stated.

I'm mostly interested in the longer running times because then we'll be able to introduce stuff like Batman: the animated series and other stuff spaning about 20 min. A point of clarification though; would stuff like Animaniacs, which are clip shows with a episodic narrative interwoven between the shorts, be counted as a 20 min segment or simply a grouping of shorts?

loved the animaniacs; that is a hard call, there are the shorts themselves and then the funny narratives with the siblings. Is there collections of JUST the narratives online? If so, they could be stand alone, if possible and then the shorts can be nominated all on their own. . .

Yeah, think you guys are right. If we are to do the 45 minute one we should make it that people nominate two 20-odd minute ones or whatever as it'll be difficult to decide between a full episode of Batman TAS and a 7 minute Looney Tunes short , if we were to do so we'd have to set a time limit then, it would end up taking a long time i think if we were to stick by the go at your own pace we've been doing so far. Personally i don't see why an Animaniacs episode couldn't be nominated.

I'll post more on this later i've just got home.

Personally i don't see why an Animaniacs episode couldn't be nominated.
That is quite true and very much an option all in itself beyond trying to separate the shorts from the actual episode.

The wonderful part of all of this is that, right now, the options and possibilities are incredibly open and its just a matter of exploring and considering what may or may not work.