The Videogames Tab

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
I didn't see any frat boys. The main protagonist is the little brother of an Army vet I believe, as the older brother mentions his Army training at the start. Aren't half the people you come to the island with women? Yeah, definitely no frat boys in this game.

I haven't tried the archery out yet, as I am still need to get a bow going. Lisa likes to run and gun with assault rifles, and we have a sniper rifle in the other slot, as i like to use that and go all stealthy when I have the controller.

Did you unlock all the slides and movement stuff? It's all really well done.

I guess it just depends on the premise and what you like as to what games really grab you. Personally, I am sort of tired of the fantasy motif, so this is a fun one to play around in for us.

And for the record, LT hated Skyrim, and loves this game. I STILL want to try Skyrim on the PC though, so I can have all hotkeys and play it properly. I feel like my issues with Skyrim are mostly platform related, as the game itself is pretty bad ass.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Ach, dumb rich kids then. Stop nit-picking!

Danny Boyle's The Beach without Tilda Swinton.

The stealth bit of FC3 is my favourite part but one thing which bugged me was how easy (standard difficulty) clearing the camps seemed to be compared to surviving the local wildlife. Damn those New Romantic turkeys!

Skyrim's a ton better on PC. Hotkeys, as you say, as well as the opportunity to get rid of the awful UI and make harder difficulty a bit more realistic instead of just boosting enemy stats to stupid levels. Been playing an awful lot more Fallout 3 recently though. And Crusader Kings II.

Skyrim's got a big update coming at the end of the month apparently, with the opportunity to select a 'Legendary' level. From what I've read it sounds kinda dumb - I'll not slate it until I've tried Legendary but the SkyRe mod is starting to hit the heights of Fallout Wanderer's Edition in terms of re-jigging the gameplay experience.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Tacitus - Check to see if it is in offline mode or not I guess. Other than that I've had no problems recently.

FarCry 3- I dig it, my dad, who's 60, is currently playing it, so I'll give it another go after he's done. I'm only about 8 hours in the game so far.

Suspect's Reviews

Fallout 3 is tough to beat for me, and I didn't even like it the first time I tried to play it. Eventually though, that world became my world, and I knew every inch of it!

Like I said, FC3 gave me that feeling of being stuck out there with just my gear and my wits to get me by, which i hadn't felt since the Fallout days. FC3 is also pretty hyper-real, so i can swallow some of the more... unrealistic aspects of the game and just have fun with it.

If you've not done already, you'll need to get Fallout 3 on PC. A great game is now genuinely stunning: Darnified UI, Fallout Wanderer's Edition, DC Interiors, Project Reality, iHUD etc. It's less stable modded than Skyrim (probably because the mods are more ambitious done on an older engine) but there's a mod which silently quicksaves (and keeps a rotating bank of 5 to choose from) every couple of minutes should you crash.

Heck, there's even a mod which lets you combine F3 and New Vegas into one huge gameworld.

TUS - It's definitely online mode. I've been waiting 10 minutes to sync and the bar is 28% so something's definitely up with the server. I've got a 75meg connection.

EDIT - Looking online at the error code this throws up suggests a router problem but I've synced fine with this router for nearly a year. Weird.

EDIT 2 - Aha! It could well be because I changed the hard drive a few weeks back and it's trying to sync 6 years of trophies from scratch. Apparently I just need to keep trying and it'll eventually finish.

Currenly playing on PS3:
FarCry 3

Far better than Part 1 i 2

But there are some downsides. Fookin pigs, turtles, snakes and everything that bites.

Funniest thing, yesterday a buffalo killed when I was trying to shot him in the head

I purchased Max Payne 3 for Ł4.00 whilst it was part of the games on demand sale yesterday. Wanted to purchase when first released but never got around to buying it, had an urge lately to play and finally saw the deal and picked it up. Only 2 chapters in; can't really judge how the experience will be for definite, but I'm enjoying it. Refreshing to play a game with a health system that doesn't replenish over time, and I get the feeling 2 missions in that its going to be quite a challenge even on normal difficulty. Only gripe so far; the cut scenes want to be stylish every flipping second which gets to a point of slight irritation.

Also playing Ni No Kuni on PS3. I'm liking the game so far, just chipping away with it really. Its a relaxing, feel good, enjoyable experience, completely polished which seems rare in the past few years. Not much challenge I've found, but I don't mind that, I sometimes just a want a game I can pick up and play without any stressful situations.

Besides those two games mostly play multiplayer games to kill some time. Mainly playing Halo 4, nearly max rank but definitely putting down once I hit the cap; pretty disappointed with it if I'm honest, think it also affirms that I'll probably only bother with the PS4 next generation. Playing Mass Effect 3 for weekend challenges and to get my gold multiplayer level achievements. Really sceptical about playing the multiplayer on ME3 at first, but I honestly think its thoroughly underrated. Also play BF3 or GTA IV if mates are up for playing, but will probably change with BF3 when the new maps are out in a couple weeks time.

Got Far Cry 3 on my shelf, seeing people on here rave about it has me hyped, definitely playing it once I've completed MP3 and NNK.

The emergent game play in FC3 is awesome. Here's an example:

Since this game is fairly focused with its missions, I of course had to jump in a truck and just drive off into the middle of nowhere. The thing with the driving is that, if you stay out on the roads, you WILL get into a firefight fairly quickly, as the roads are heavily patrolled by pirates unless you have cleared the zone (I have cleared exactly ONE zone so far, out of many). So I tend to head out into the wilderness on a 4 wheeler or a jeep most times. At one point I roll up near one of the outposts, which I need to clear to take over the area and more easily move about without getting jumped constantly. I decide I will attack the outpost using stealth, as these guys have weapons that far out-class the ones I have on me at the moment.

I check ammo - 7 bullets for my assault rifle (ack!), and 5 sniper rounds..6 shotgun rounds. There are 7-8 people at the outpost, but if I alert them too early, they will slam the alarm, and a truckload of reinforcements will roll in fast. So far, this has spelled my doom when it happens, or has at least sent me running for my life through the jungle, sometimes over a cliff to my death.

As I scope out the outpost, then check my map, I notice that I am WAY deep into undiscovered territory, and that I might just be too far out for my skill level. Of course, this means I just HAVE to take this outpost. I move like a ninja down towards the camp, tag all the people so i can track them, and attempt to move in on the alarm box to disable it - can't have a truck of baddies show up if things go south.

I manage to get to the box without being seen, turn of the alarm, and the quickly sneak into a building. SNAKE!! It's on my arm!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

BOOM - my shotgun goes off due to me being startled.

**** goes south, fast. Snipers with laser targeting start peppering my location with bullets, and two enemies run into the building with SMGs, spraying bullets all over the place. I run for my life, looking this way and that, catching another two enemies running towards me from across the camp. I have no idea which way I am facing, where my vehicle is, or where three of the enemies have gotten off to.
Randomly, a truck happens by and sees the conflict, so it pulls off and several more men get out, guns a blazing.

****, ****, ****, where do I go??

What's this - a tiger in a cage! I whack the cage with my machete but nothing happens, I crack a few rounds off with my shotty on the lock, and the cage pops open, just as pirates converge on my position. Out comes the tiger!! He starts mauling a pirate almost immediately, and his friends freak out, running in all directions. I run towards the first jungle I see, quickly going into a slide and getting into some brush. Gunfire is everywhere, someone is screaming while I hear an animal snacking on some poor SOB's throat.

I quickly try to get my bearings, and decide I should throw a grenade. I have no target, but grenades are fun, so I just ship a couple towards the camp in random directions...BOOM, BOOM. Now my molatovs... Now there is fire...it's spreading. Someone else is screaming - looks like some one is on fire, running around in a circle like a complete madman. I cower under the brush, not moving, not breathing...When grenades get tossed - **** happens.

I have to get out of here, and fast...more screaming, more roars...the tiger is still up, where is he? I tear off to the left, heading toward the far side of the camp from where I entered the fray. Gunfire, someone sees me. DAMN! I see him! Some guy is over by the truck that arrived late, I see him start to run off to a new position, so I give chase, shotgun in hand, BOOM! Down he goes, I spin left...spin right... where's that tiger??

A fripping TURKEY, attacks me...a turkey!! He has friends...I run. Now I am sliding, this is a steep hill, where am I? Where are the turkeys? Is the the tiger still up? maybe he will attack the turkeys.

SNAKE!! It's on my arm! Get it off, get it off! AHHHHHHHHH!!! Heal..heal...heal....

The flag on the outpost goes up. Outpost captured....2/X outposts secure. GO TIGER!

I run some more, I slide, I hide in the bushes again. I hear nothing. I sit for a minute...another minute...nothing.

I head back to the camp...everything is dead, I can't see the tiger anywhere. Stuff is on fire. The outpost is mine.

Thank you tiger.

F you turkeys!

This is a good game.

You've had the same turkey troubles as me then.

Ok, I put an hour into AC 3 today. It's the worst game I've played in the series, and that includes the handful of minutes I put into Revelations.

Ubisoft have some good titles in the pipeline - They've got the recently discussed Far Cry franchise, there's a new Deus Ex game in the pipeline and screenshots appeared today of their Thief reboot.

Assassin's Creed needs taking out the back and given a merciful release.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I purchased Max Payne 3 for Ł4.00 whilst it was part of the games on demand sale yesterday. Wanted to purchase when first released but never got around to buying it, had an urge lately to play and finally saw the deal and picked it up. Only 2 chapters in; can't really judge how the experience will be for definite, but I'm enjoying it. Refreshing to play a game with a health system that doesn't replenish over time, and I get the feeling 2 missions in that its going to be quite a challenge even on normal difficulty. Only gripe so far; the cut scenes want to be stylish every flipping second which gets to a point of slight irritation.
Tell me about it, the game wants to be a Tony Scott film for some reason.

Anyone play Tomb Raider yet?
I'm holding off until I see a few PC reviews. The console versions are getting decent scores and the same guys did the PC port who did Sleeping Dogs' (which was excellent) so I doubt it'll stink.

Apparently ATI have developed a new hair rendering technique for the PC version. Dunno if you'll need an ATI card for it to work but it's damned impressive.

There's a nice Tomb Raider retrospective here.

Personally I doubt the new game will be amazing, but if it's as good as Anniversary it'll be good enough.

Has anyone been tempted by Sim City? Incidentally, I hate the way some franchises are naming the latest instalment in the series recently; are they ashamed of Roman numerals?

We've got Sim City, Tomb Raider, Thief, Devil May Cry and probably a few more.

Do they think people won't buy the games if they've not played earlier editions? I'm reminded of the old gag about The Madness of King George having its title changed from the stage play's Madness of George III because producers thought audiences would be confused at not seeing the first two films in the trilogy...

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
You've had the same turkey troubles as me then.

Ok, I put an hour into AC 3 today. It's the worst game I've played in the series, and that includes the handful of minutes I put into Revelations.

Ubisoft have some good titles in the pipeline - They've got the recently discussed Far Cry franchise, there's a new Deus Ex game in the pipeline and screenshots appeared today of their Thief reboot.

Assassin's Creed needs taking out the back and given a merciful release.

Exactly how is AC3 the worst in the series? It had MUCH better gameplay than any of the previous titles, it had a compelling story (save for the disappointing ending), and I thought Connor was a pretty good protagonist. I personally find AC2 to be my absolute favorite (and the best), but AC3 would have to be 2nd place for me.