Perseus & Medusa Animation

Tools    

I've already been lucky once with a movie question so I thought I'd try this one too.

I don't think this will have been from a film, more an episode of a series, probably made in the Eighties.

What I remember is quite a faithful representation of Perseus travelling to seek out the Gorgons, using winged sandals to fly. His flight is depicted quite simply I would say, as he is shown horizontal with the scenery going by.

This is where it gets interesting. I imagine that he is invisible during this (once again as per the myth), just not to the audience, but at some point Medusa is shown flying near him. It seems that she can sense his presence and actually speaks to him, trying to seduce him into looking at her. What stood out most to me is that Medusa had a long, serpentine neck, which is very distinctive amongst representations of the monster. The Clash of the Titans films for instance give her a snake-like body with a female upper torso.

If this rings any bells that would be great – don't be reticent about mentioning anything that might be helpful .

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Just a guess, the part about the long neck does not fit. "The Storyteller: Greek Myths" -- Perseus & the Gorgon (UK TV series 1991). Season 1, episode 1

Just a guess, the part about the long neck does not fit. "The Storyteller: Greek Myths" -- Perseus & the Gorgon (UK TV series 1991). Season 1, episode 1
Thanks for that akatemple – that is a great production, especially how faithfully the story is adapted. It isn't that though as the programme I'm thinking of was definitely an animation.

Just another guess, this is all I could find with Perseus and Medusa animated around your time frame.
That's it ! I could tell as soon as I saw the figures.

Thank you very much for finding it. I'd tried up to a point in the past but never broke through .

What a great film it is too – now that I've seen it again I can remember liking the little detail of the snakes springing from Medusa's blood. Something else that's very significant is that Andromeda has dark skin, given that this part of the story takes place in Ethiopia, or at least a version of that country.

I would have seen this with an English translation but it's great to watch it with the original Russian performances.