Taken (2008) and the Taken Franchise

Tools    

A dedicated thread for Taken (2008), its sequels and the spin-off series.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Taken was OK but the sequel was dreadful IMO. I havent bothered with the third. What did you think of 2 and 3?

I finally watched Taken 3 (2015) yesterday and found it relatively entertaining but very weak. Liam Neeson's his usual engaging self and thoroughly enjoyable. Maggie Grace was also very good and it was pleasing that most of the cast were back.

WARNING: spoilers below
It seems to me that there have been real problems stretching this franchise out. The vengeance plot of Taken 2 came across to me as a bit of a stretch but at least it had the location going for it, as well as involving Kim in Bryan's activities. This film has by far the flimsiest story and the worst adversaries. Sam Spruell is pretty familiar, especially from Defiance (2008), but I didn't feel he was very convincing here. Far more awkward is Dougray Scott because he's taking over Xander Berkeley's role in the original film, there quite inconsequential and here retooled into a criminal mastermind. I knew that Scott must have been cast to do more than be the gooseberry in Lenore and Bryan's relationship and in the event he was, but somehow it doesn't wash, which oddly enough it might have had the more innocuous Berkeley reprised the role.

I've noticed that the action and direction of Taken 3 has been criticised and I certainly felt both were incredibly disappointing. The display of Bryan's skills is peculiarly kept to a minimum and also it sometimes seems as though we're too close to the action, human and on a larger scale, with it being hard to follow. The script is also pretty ghastly at times – I mean who says "I was just preparing dinner"?

One thing I did find a cut above was Forest Whitaker's behaviour as Dotzler, which was akin to Denzel Washington's character work for The Equalizer. I haven't worked out why Dotzler carries a wooden knight chesspiece but the elastic band seemed to make sense at the very end. I'm guessing that Dotzler wears one around his wrist for every new case, and then, upon the close of said case, annotates the same band and puts it round the case file, symbolically ending his connection. I loved it when he masochistically flicked it back on his hand, agitated that Kim had exposed the use of a listening device.

Taken 3, like 2, reminded me how superior the original film was. Actually it's funny how the thing that matters most to Bryan, his daughter, has always mattered the most for this viewer, especially due to Maggie Grace's performance. Lenore, Stuart, and Bryan's colleagues have always been a vague, thinly-drawn bunch and that was the same here. I'm convinced that more could have been done with the franchise if they'd departed from the kidnap plot of the original instead of trying to recycle it each time.

I rated it 6/10 mainly because, as with the Transporter films, there's a facile quality that's expected and sometimes welcome! I definitely thought that Olivier Megaton made a better film with Taken 2 and also The Transporter 3.

Taken was OK but the sequel was dreadful IMO. I havent bothered with the third. What did you think of 2 and 3?
I remember 2 looking good and the location helped a lot. I also liked the way Kim was able to participate in the story and Maggie Grace definitely had a good part in it. Aside from that I didn't buy into the vengeance plot and I didn't think the action was anywhere near as successful as Taken.

I specifically watched it for Istanbul but it's so far removed from what the city actually looks like I got the poops with Olivier Megaton (who has a name like that!) and vented about the whole movie. I dont mind Maggie but going from a two left foot driver to rally car champion gave me brain damage. And Liam's days as an action hero are well over. The choreography of the fight scene in the bath house was great I thought but I found him totally unbelievable.

I specifically watched it for Istanbul but it's so far removed from what the city actually looks like I got the poops with Olivier Megaton (who has a name like that!)
Well I just think of Transformers – not the out-of-control 'where are their faces?' film versions but the cartoon ones in the good old days .

and vented about the whole movie. I dont mind Maggie but going from a two left foot driver to rally car champion gave me brain damage.
Well yeah, but like I said in spoilers about rating 3 you forgive these films to some extent because you expect a certain amount of naivetι .

And Liam's days as an action hero are well over. The choreography of the fight scene in the bath house was great I thought but I found him totally unbelievable.
Yes I thought that. He definitely looks physically older and slower in the third film as well.

LOL I just cant. Even this is better

Well I just think of Transformers – not the out-of-control 'where are their faces?' film versions but the cartoon ones in the good old days .

Well yeah, but like I said in spoilers about rating 3 you forgive these films to some extent because you expect a certain amount of naivetι .

Yes I thought that. He definitely looks physically older and slower in the third film as well.
I think I just got the shts about the portrayal of Istanbul and left my suspension of disbelief at the door. I'd probably like it on a rewatch (although even posting about it makes me grumpy) but will check out the third. I like the chemistry between father and daughter, and Famke and Forest are always good. Dont let my snotty grumblings put you off.

As for Liam, I read somewhere he had been sick but cant remember the details.

That reminds me of Hot Fuzz.
LOL I think it is. I need a rewatch. Hilarious.

I think I just got the shts about the portrayal of Istanbul and left my suspension of disbelief at the door. I'd probably like it on a rewatch (although even posting about it makes me grumpy) but will check out the third. I like the chemistry between father and daughter, and Famke and Forest are always good. Dont let my snotty grumblings put you off.
Forest Whitaker's good in 3, but you're better off watching him and finding out why. Avoid my review because I talk about him .

As for Liam, I read somewhere he had been sick but cant remember the details.
Really? Yeah there were times when I thought he looked pretty rough.

LOL I think it is. I need a rewatch. Hilarious.
I wondered whether it was their other film The World's End, and they'd just put in a homage to the earlier one.

Really? Yeah there were times when I thought he looked pretty rough.
Same with the wolf movie. I dont think he ever got over the death of his wife to be honest. I really like him but as I said, I got faux offended at the director.

Same with the wolf movie. I dont think he ever got over the death of his wife to be honest.
I know, that was awful. I was thinking about Natasha Richardson recently because of The Handmaid's Tale – she was in the film version.

movies can be okay...
The amount of times I've seen this clip is simply....unreal.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

I know, that was awful. I was thinking about Natasha Richardson recently because of The Handmaid's Tale – she was in the film version.
I didnt like it either and I love that genre.

That was so sad about Natasha.

I didnt like it either and I love that genre.

That was so sad about Natasha.
Sorry I should have left the mention of The Grey out – I meant it was awful about her death. She was in a great episode of Sherlock Holmes at the very start of her career, The Copper Beeches, playing a governess who's asked to cut her hair short and can't understand why.

Sorry I should have left the mention of The Grey out – I meant it was awful about her death. She was in a great episode of Sherlock Holmes at the very start of her career, The Copper Beeches, playing a governess who's asked to cut her hair short and can't understand why.
Oh sorry, my mistake.