Morgan Freeman in car accident

Tools    

Hopefully he'll be a hundred percent soon...

Morgan Freeman Seriously Hurt in Car Accident
Police say actor's car left Mississippi highway and flipped several times

JACKSON, Mississippi - Oscar-winning actor Morgan Freeman was injured in a car accident late Sunday night and is in a hospital in Memphis, Tennessee.

Regional Medical Center spokeswoman Kathy Stringer said Freeman, 71, is in serious condition. The hospital is about 90 miles north of the accident scene in rural Tallahatchie County in the Mississippi Delta.

Mississippi Highway Patrol spokesman Sgt. Ben Williams confirmed Freeman was in a wreck shortly before midnight Sunday, but said he was still gathering information and had few details Monday. Earlier reports said the actor's car left the road and flipped several times.

Clay McFerrin, editor of Sun Sentinel in Charleston, said he arrived at the accident scene on Mississippi Highway 32 soon after it happened about four miles west of Charleston, not far from where Freeman owns a home with his wife. McFerrin said it appeared that Freeman’s car was airborne went it left the highway and landed in a ditch.

"They had to use the jaws of life to extract him from the vehicle," McFerrin said. "He was lucid, conscious. He was talking, joking with some of the rescue workers at one point." McFerrin said bystanders converged on the scene trying to get a glimpse of the actor.

When one person tried to snap a photo with a cell phone camera, Freeman joked, "no freebies, no freebies," McFerrin said.

Freeman won an Oscar for his role in Million Dollar Baby. His screen credits also include The Shawshank Redemption and Driving Miss Daisy and he currently stars in the Batman blockbuster The Dark Knight.

The hospital where Freeman is being treated is commonly known as The Med, and is an acute-care teaching facility that serves patients within 150 miles of Memphis.

© 2008 The Associated Press

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26010759/?GT1=43001
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Yeah, I saw this a few minutes ago. I was a little surprised to hear his condition described as "serious," only to see in the article that he made some sort of joke after the crash about people taking pictures of him. Hopefully the joking is a better indicator of his condition than the headlines.

Originally Posted by Yoda
I was a little surprised to hear his condition described as "serious," only to see in the article that he made some sort of joke after the crash about people taking pictures of him. Hopefully the joking is a better indicator of his condition than the headlines.
Well in hospital terms, Serious Condition is less than Critical but worse than Fair. I've never worked in a hospital and luckily haven't had to spend much time there, but according to Wikipedia Serious means "Vital signs may be unstable and not within normal limits. Patient is acutely ill. Indicators are questionable." So he's experienced trauma, to be sure, but much better than Critical Condition and nothing has mentioned major surgery so that's good news. Hopefully he'll be upgraded to Fair and then Good Condition soon. The banter, if accurate, is certainly encouraging.

If the car did flip (and to use the Jaws of Life to extract him the car must have been in bad shape), clearly he was wearing a seat belt or he might not be alive at all. Probably some of this is precautionary because the man is seventy-one years old.

I am half agony, half hope.
I wish him a speedy recovery. I enjoy his work and hope he heals well enough to do more of it.

Johann von Goethe

I am burdened with glorious purpose
My heart skipped a beat when I saw this headline. I couldn't get into the thread fast enough. I was relieved to see that he was talking, etc.

Gosh, I hope it does turn out that he'll be okay very soon.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I really hope he can get well very soon.

I'm glad they were able to get to him as soon as they did... sometimes that can make the difference between serious and critical. Hope he's back to his normal self soon...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Dachshunds Fear Me
One of my all-time favorite actors; I freaked out when I saw the story online, and wish him the speediest recovery ever.

Get well soon, Easy Reader.

George: Arthur.

So many good movies, so little time.
Great news that it is not as serious as first thought.

His acting in Street Smart (1987) is one of my favorite performances of all time. I didn't know who he was when I saw it, but was stunned by how good he was as Fast Black.

I also thought he was tremendous in Glory (1989) and of course Unforgiven (1992).

Get well soon.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Sorry to hear what happened.
I wish him a speedy recovery.

Thanks for posting this. I didn't know about it until I saw your shout a few minutes ago. He is easily one of my all-time favorites in Hollywood. I just love him to pieces.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
ucon, I agree with you about Street Smart and Glory, and there was a time not that long ago, I had him in my top three living actors. Does anybody remember him in Brubaker (1980)? I saw that at the theatre when it came out, and I was freaked out by the guy in solitary. It was only later that I realized that was Morgan Freeman!!

This is one of those funky videos which won't let you link from the photo above. Click on
instead. Oh yeah, there are a few f-words strewn about here.

Hey, it's turning into an impromptu Morgan appreciation thread! Cool.

As a child of the 1970s, like Tortuga he was first known to me from "The Electric Company", which was kind of like "Laugh In" for the "Sesame Street" set.

So by the time I was getting older and watching movies like Brubaker and Eyewitness on cable TV, when Freeman would show up my brother and I would turn to each other knowingly. I like him in Street Smart a lot, but I didn't see it until it was on video. The first movie that made me sit up and really notice him as more than just the guy from "The Electric Company" was the still somehow underrated Clean & Sober (1988). Playing the cool, calm former addict turned drug counselor to Michael Keaton's wise-ass who doesn't think he has a problem, Freeman was so quietly powerful and subtly funny, it was then that he became a favorite actor I would consciously look for in upcoming projects.

"It's my phone."

Even though he had gotten an Oscar nomination for Street Smart (1987) it was 1989 that really made him as an actor in the industry to stay for good with Lean On Me, Johnny Handsome, Glory and Driving Miss Daisy all being released. I've talked about my love for Walter Hill's Johnny Handsome elsewhere on the board I believe, but one of the things I love most about it is that it's like an old crime genre Studio B-Movie from the '40s or '50s with top-flight actors Morgan Freeman and Forest Whitaker in small supporting roles that really add a flavor of class to the whole production.

Morgan has had his share of stinkers along the way, but he's definitely the kind of actor who is welcome and a lone bright spot even in a dreadful flick. One of his next big projects he's been attached to is starring as Nelson Mandela in a picture to be directed by his friend and the man who guided him to his Oscar, Clint Eastwood. Sounds like he'll be mended soon and ready to go.

I also love Clean and Sober. One of my favorites. I have Clean and Sober, Brubaker . . . quite a few. I also have, and really enjoy Lean On Me, but I'm not too sure how popular that one is with most people. I've never heard of Eyewitness. I haven't watched Driving Miss Daisy yet. I've never been in the mood to, for some reason. I also don't believe I've seen Johnny Handsome. I don't recall viewing it, anyway. His latest movie, The Bucket List, looks cute. I enjoy Kiss the Girls more than most, I'd say, but I don't really care for the sequel much at all. I'm sure I have many of his films, but I'll have to look that up, to jog my memory anymore.

Oh yes, Morgan with Clint again. I know Million Dollar Baby is a great movie, but it was just too depressing for this woman.

I just did a quick scan on IMDB, and man I have a lot of his movies!

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Hope he makes a full recovery as he is great.

The King of Movies
I hope he gets better soon. I respect Freeman. He is one of my fav actors.

Truly on of Hollywood's Titans
[punches him in the face, grabs him and points his gun right at his throat] I never said anything about the FBI. She's my partner, ese. And if anything happens to her, I will find you and I will kill you. I won't think twice. Come here, look in my eyes. [pushes barrel of the gun into his mouth and cocks it] Look at my face. If anything happens to her, I will kill you. This is between you and me, and nobody sees, nobody knows.